• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Results back on the 1925 Peace Dollar.

26 posts in this topic

I recently purchased this Peace dollar at an online auction. I don't have any photos, but, for those who care to use the link below, the coin can be viewed at Proxibid.

I have submitted the coin to NGC for grading and I am waiting for the results. Any opinions as to what this coin would grade is appreciated.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotImageViewer.asp?ahid=1501&aid=76250&lid=19199252&url=2558.jpg#

NGC gave it an MS65+. I was hoping for an MS66, but I'm not surprised by the decision. The reverse did have a pretty good contact mark on the eagle's wing.

This is a common date , why would you spend the money to have this graded ?

I think the coin is a low end MS however I see what appears to be PVC as well.

I enjoy trying to find that elusive "diamond in the rough", Mark. It has no luster and, as you put it, "I see what appears to be PVC". Grading, for one thing, will determine whether it is PVC contamination or not, and, for another thing, also determine just how much luster really matters.

If it is not PVC contaminated and the original surface of the coin, dispite the lack of luster, is mostly intact, how will it grade? It has very few contact marks and the strike is reasonably well-struck. What if it does well?

If it doesn't, I have only spent a few dollars and had a good time.

I enjoy trying to find that elusive "diamond in the rough", Mark. It has no luster and, as you put it, "I see what appears to be PVC". Grading, for one thing, will determine whether it is PVC contamination or not, and, for another thing, also determine just how much luster really matters.

If it is not PVC contaminated and the original surface of the coin, dispite the lack of luster, is mostly intact, how will it grade? It has very few contact marks and the strike is reasonably well-struck. What if it does well?

If it doesn't, I have only spent a few dollars and had a good time.

Lack of Luster means the coin is probably Au 58 , regardless this coin was not worth the cost of submitting , you basically have a coin that is only going to be worth melt.

I don't know, Mark, I have seen coins lacking in luster before with some pretty high grades. Some coins are minted with very little luster. Some have toning that dulls the luster.

You are probably right though, it’s probably only worth its weight in silver. You may also be right about luster as well - perhaps it's not original surface that counts, but how much it shines.

Or perhaps we have two completely different definitions of luster.

At any rate, thanks for your input.

Mark may come off a little rough but he's truly giving you good advice and trying to get you to make better decisions on what you get graded. It is your money and it's what's considered as cheap tuition when you get a coin back and it's not what you think it was to begin with.

If the coin isn't contaminated by PVC I think it's pretty nice. Now if the luster is muted the question you need to ask is "how did that come about"? The answer invariably is because it was dipped.

The facts probably lie with the purchase price. If you paid $30 for the coin with a room full of bidders, well...........that's why. If on the other hand there was spirited bidding and you paid say $50 - $60 it got to that amount because it was a nice coin in the opinion of many.

Coins on Proxybid are like anything else, there are some Auctioneers that grade liberally and others that are tight. Knowing the reputation of the auction house helps when buying coins from a photo.

Welcome to the boards.

Best case scenario you have a MS64 and worst case an AU Details piece. It's tough to grade from images but any silver dollar that is not severely damaged is worth over melt value. It might be a $20 coin and it might be a $50 coin. I don't see coins like that selling for $15 these days.

Mark may come off a little rough but he's truly giving you good advice and trying to get you to make better decisions on what you get graded. It is your money and it's what's considered as cheap tuition when you get a coin back and it's not what you think it was to begin with.

Me rough ?? Never :grin: Ok maybe calling the coin melt was a bit much.

What I should have said was if the coin comes back in a details holder it wont be worth much more then melt. Before he said “lack of luster” which I took as meaning no luster I thought it could grade MS 63.

The lack of luster comment to me means good chance of an Au coin.

The possible PVC is a whole different issue.

Thanks for your opinions, everyone.

I have been collecting coins and currency for about five years now, mostly on Proxibid but on other online auction venues as well. I also collect antique firearms and edged weapons.

Recently, I have started submitting coins to NGC and currency to PMG, primarily to get an objective opinion on some of my coins and currency that I have doubts about in one respect or another - such as the 1925 Peace dollar in question.

Once again, thanks for your time!

Unless the coin grades 65 or higher - and I don't think it should or will - the expense for grading fees and postage is probably not worth the cost of submission.

Me rough ?? Never :grin: Ok maybe calling the coin melt was a bit much.

What I should have said was if the coin comes back in a details holder it wont be worth much more then melt. Before he said “lack of luster” which I took as meaning no luster I thought it could grade MS 63.

The lack of luster comment to me means good chance of an Au coin.

The possible PVC is a whole different issue.

I agree with you, and no offense to the original poster, but I don't think you were being too harsh, but trying to be perfectly honest. If the coin comes back as a 63, the OP could probably sell the coin for melt + your grading fees (more or less). If it comes back with PVC, you have a bullion coin. An AU to low MS (i.e. less than 63 grade are very plausible here), which would still put make this coin's value mostly in its bullion.

I would have to say FishyOne came the closes with his, "Best case scenario you have a MS64 and worst case an AU Details piece."

I would have to say FishyOne came the closes with his, "Best case scenario you have a MS64 and worst case an AU Details piece."

Thank you, thank you. Although 64 isn't that close to 65+ it might have been "closest". Congratulations on the high grade you received, made it well worth the submission costs.

This is the same coin ?? Based on the photo of the coin in the holder our grades would have all been much higher. That is a nice looking coin .

AU, with PVC contamination.

Exactly what i said about it. I guess i was pretty accurate

It graded 65+. Since you had agreed with a post that said "AU, with PVC contamination" how did you come up with your "I guess I weas pretty accurate"?

WOW is that even the same coin??

the coin in the OP is one i would not touch with a broomstick, and the new pics show i coin i would not at all mind owning in my collection. such a difference!

i would like to know how you (the OP) made a purchase decision based on them first pics and guessed it would be worthy of buying (and guessing at a gem+ grade). that's some impressive and advance interpretation of the pics right there..

Congrats' ....but ....

Doesn't seem to be much different than the original coin. I guess it is chiseled in stone now though for all the slab collectors.

1925PeaceDollarObverse.jpg

1925PeaceDollarReverse.jpg

"i would like to know how you (the OP) made a purchase decision based on them first pics and guessed it would be worthy of buying (and guessing at a gem+ grade). that's some impressive and advance interpretation of the pics right there.."

I saw no wear, very few contact marks, a reasonably good strike and a surface covered with frost. The film on the surface of the coin in certain areas concerned me a little, but I did not believe it was likely to be PVC contamination.

None of these pictures do the coin justice. It looks quite different in hand. All the qualities I mention in the above paragragh, however, were enough for me to take a chance. And it was a gamble.

I meant that the guess of his was similar to mine. As for the actual result I'm questioned by that but I'm just saying that was in the ballpark of his guess.

"i would like to know how you (the OP) made a purchase decision based on them first pics and guessed it would be worthy of buying (and guessing at a gem+ grade). that's some impressive and advance interpretation of the pics right there.."

I saw no wear, very few contact marks, a reasonably good strike and a surface covered with frost. The film on the surface of the coin in certain areas concerned me a little, but I did not believe it was likely to be PVC contamination.

None of these pictures do the coin justice. It looks quite different in hand. All the qualities I mention in the above paragragh, however, were enough for me to take a chance. And it was a gamble.

you did very good then! :applause:

i don't mean to be nosy, but did you get a good deal on it? was there strong bidding from other buyers on the coin?

"i don't mean to be nosy, but did you get a good deal on it? was there strong bidding from other buyers on the coin?"

Monetarily, I did not do as well as I thought I might have - considering I believed it had a good chance of grading MS66. I did, however, do very well in terms of acquiring an attractive 1925 Peace Dollar.

No, it was not what I would call "strong bidding".