• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Morgan Dollar points

4 posts in this topic

I just added a 1921 MS66 Morgan to my 20th Century Type set. It shows 674 points awarded. When I look up the coin in Coin Explorer, it show 1531 points in the chart. Which is correct?

Thank you

Edited: The #3 set in the Morgan registry owns a MS66 and it has 1531 points.

I'm sure they'll answer you but until then...I've found out coins in type sets score ALOT lower than series or mint sets. I have a $20 double eagle worth 850 points in my type set but 2980 points in my mint set. Whatcha gonna do? Sorry, but have fun anyway.

David

I got a reply already. The explanation was exactly like you stated. Type Set points are much lower than series set points. Either way, it's still fun assembling the type set.

It goes both ways. Sometimes you will come across an extremely common coin in the type set registry that is given thousands of points, but given a reasonable number of points in that coin's series.

One example of a coin where the Series Set point value is much lower than the Type Set point value, rather than the other way around as you experienced, is the PF69 Washington Quarter.

In my Type Set the PF69 Washington Quarter is awarded 2,861. However, the very same coin in my 1964 Mint Set registry is given just 139 points. Likewise, this coin is valued at 139 points in the Washington Quarters 1936-1998, Proof Issue series. For what it's worth, NGC says this coin has a dollar value of $33.75.

While I have my own thoughts on what might be an appropriate point value for this particular coin and others like it, I have given up trying to do anything about it as our host has their own formula which works well for them. Plus, these sorts of discrepancies seem to balance out in the end, and maybe awarding points this way makes the hobby more enjoyable to a wider audience of collectors.