• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iPhone image of a newp from Baltimore 3/2014 (and GTG)

12 posts in this topic

It's a rare and pricey bird. We can play this thread two ways. One, I invite folks to tell about the coin -- what it is, etc. Two, I invite folks to comment on my imaging -- but please note that I'm using an iPhone 5 (with PS Elements to crop, stitch and unsharpened mask).

Enjoy!

S-1084-medium.jpg

I love it but have no idea what grade.

Thanks for the response. What grading system do you use? US (PCGS/NGC) or British or Canadian or ???

Also, want to tell us about this coin?

Okay, I'll guess at some form of Nordic coin occupying part of Britain, Ireland or northern future France in the 1000-1100 CE era, but it's just a guess. The rest of the detail is good enough that one wonders if the flat head is strike weakness based on the cruder methods of the day, suggesting a general grade of EF-AU based on US standards.

Second guess would be a Crusader coin, just going by the Maltese crosses, which narrows it to 1100-1300 or so. If I'm remotely close. Third would be Teutonic Knights.

It looks like the portrait is due to some striking issues - the rest of the coin is incredibly well struck, immaculately centered, and on a nearly flawless planchet. It is a beautiful coin - I'd call it EF-AU.

It appears to be King Edward? I don't really know anything about it more than that. Tell us more!

It looks like the portrait is due to some striking issues - the rest of the coin is incredibly well struck, immaculately centered, and on a nearly flawless planchet. It is a beautiful coin - I'd call it EF-AU.

It appears to be King Edward? I don't really know anything about it more than that. Tell us more!

Yes, this is King Edward "the Elder" of Wessex (not to be confused with Edward "the Martyr" of Wessex, whose coinage is much rarer due to a much shorter reign). He took over the throne from Alfred the Great in 899, and ruled until 924.

You can read more about this king here: Edward the Elder

Yes, the strike is imperfect. The bust on portrait pieces for EtE until Edgar usually comes flat. (This coin's head detail is actually not bad for the issue!) As you noted, the rest of the coin is extremely nice. Of considerable importance is the surface and planchet quality, which is problem free and showing minimal signs of abrasion/circulation. The eye appeal is also very nice, showing nice even patina. The centering is slightly off, but not enough to affect the legends (which is the key issue).

The "British" grade for this piece would be "near EF", and I expect a US TPG to grade this AU53 to AU55 -- but that will never happen on my watch because I like to keep these coins raw (unless I bought these coins already slabbed and the insert adds positive value, in which case I defer the decision of cracking them out).

The Spink catalog number for this coin is S-1084.

From the dealer's insert:

Silver Penny, 23 mm, 1.55 gm. Diademed bust of king left; Moneyer's name in two lines. BMC --- (type iii, but this coin was minted by a new moneyer for the reign). +EADVVEARD REX // ANDR/EAS MO (separated by 3 crosses in a line, with 3 crosses on top and 3 pellets below)

Haha, congrats on a nice coin. I'd love to see good pictures of it.

:(

I thought that pic was decent. It represents the coin reasonably faithfully. I also have 1500x750px image of it (same, but just not shrunken to 100x500 like what I posted here).

And, let's be clear... Any picture that sufficiently elicits nice commentary about the subject is Good Enough. :D

EVP