• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gold eagle XF? AU?

11 posts in this topic

Looks like a pretty sizable rim ding at 2 o'clock. The color seems a bit unnatural. If the cookie is good and the rim ding not to bad I feel 45 and possibly depending on luster.

The photo is a bit overexposed which makes guessing the grade a bit harder. The appearance of this piece leads me to think that it is probably and AU-50, but no better. On the other hand, it has a sort of "tired appearance" as the bust of Ms. Liberty suggests, it might come in at EF-45. Ms. Liberty appears to have a fair amount of wear in her hair below the word "LIBERTY" and some wear above that. It is for that reason, plus the fact that the piece does have many surface marks that I would hesitate to grade this coin higher than AU-50.

The photo is a bit overexposed which makes guessing the grade a bit harder. The appearance of this piece leads me to think that it is probably and AU-50, but no better. On the other hand, it has a sort of "tired appearance" as the bust of Ms. Liberty suggests, it might come in at EF-45. Ms. Liberty appears to have a fair amount of wear in her hair below the word "LIBERTY" and some wear above that. It is for that reason, plus the fact that the piece does have many surface marks that I would hesitate to grade this coin higher than AU-50.

+1

48+