• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1776 Continental Currency coin

30 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone. This is my first post so please try not to flame or laugh at me to hard. I have read other posts about these coins and still have questions about the one that I posess. My father in law who is not in his late 60's got 5 of these coins from his great grandmother. Four of the five were in her jewlery box and one was always kept in her safety deposit box at the bank. That is what it was located upon her death. I believe that the 4 that were in her jewlery box are the replicas that were produced. Although the on in the safety deposit box is different. There is a definate weight difference in it. Most of the surface is still crisp.

What are some dead give away signs that this is real or not. Please keep in mind that I am very new to this so if anyone replys please try and keep it in laymans terms.

Any help would be appreciated. My digital camera is giving me a little attitude in focusing on the coin. I will try and get some clear pictures taken later this week. Then I can email them to anyone who might know more about this then myself.

Greetings,

I am assuming you have the Continental Currency Dollar. This was issued in 1776 with an image of a sundial with sunshine rays on the obverse and chain links of the colonies on the reverse. The coin should be one of three metals, brass, pewter and silver, pewter being the most common. The pewter coin will have a dull grey cast look to it and will have a grainy feel. The best recommendation is to find a reputable local dealer who will send the coin to PCGS or NGC for grading. You can find an NGC dealer under this website. If indeed the coin is authentic, it is worth many thousands of dollars. The copies are usually made of pot metal or nickel and will have a modern flat edge to them. However, you may want those inspected also. Good luck.

TRUTH

The copies are usually made of pot metal or nickel and will have a modern flat edge to them. However, you may want those inspected also. Good luck.

TRUTH

Thanks for the reply. The edges should not be flat so should they be rough? I don't have the coins in front of me at this moment but I do recall that one one of the coins the edges looked as if it were two seperate peices of metal (top and bottom) that were sandwiched together. This one I am assuming that is a replica, also on this one the two pieces don't match up exactly. They are somewhat offset.

Copies are generally made BETTER than the originals. When you say "offset', then this makes me think noncopy. Although copies will have a flat edge and a flat rim, usually it appears much like modern coinage, sharp and distinct. Continental Dollars were sometimes struck offset, since the machinery at the time was rather crude and the edge will appear to be rough and uneven. In addition, Pewter is a soft metal and must be handled with care. If you make a light tap on the edge of the coin, pewter will not ring true, but nickel and pot metal will make a "ting" sound.

TRUTH

3 things 2 Key in on that Set me off....

1. Look for the word copy even on the sides on the coins, most if not all replicas have it...

2. Look for a Seem along the edge......

3. It will just not feel like a good solid coin...

If you want some pics of a Decent Copy to compare yours with let me know

and I can post some....

Submission for certification, either at NGC or PCGS, is really the only option on a coin like this if you think it is real. Also, if you can post good resolution images, we might be able to spot many counterfeits for these. Unlike what has been previously written, I will state that many, if not most, of the copies of this piece do not have the word COPY stamped on them as this has only been required since 1973 and there were enormous numbers of copies and counterfeits of these made prior to that. Although I wish you luck, I will honestly tell you that I am of the opinion that you possess copies. Please let us know how it turns out.

Here is the pic of the 1776 Continental Curency with 1 R in Curency... This is a cast copy of what looks to be the pewter version. Note the word copy is on the side of the coin.....

Pic....

638559-1776CC.jpg

638559-1776CC.jpg.25f6cafb69afb9b6b67be736800ce052.jpg

Copies are generally made BETTER than the originals. When you say "offset', then this makes me think noncopy. Although copies will have a flat edge and a flat rim, usually it appears much like modern coinage, sharp and distinct. Continental Dollars were sometimes struck offset, since the machinery at the time was rather crude and the edge will appear to be rough and uneven. In addition, Pewter is a soft metal and must be handled with care. If you make a light tap on the edge of the coin, pewter will not ring true, but nickel and pot metal will make a "ting" sound.

TRUTH

Still working on pictures to show you guys. I have been doing some further reseasch on line and am now a little more confused. I have read on a few internet sites that the origionals have the word Currency spelled several different ways. Like Curency and Currencey. Any truth to this? I am going to take it into a coin shop on Friday and see what they think. My father in law told me today that he had a coin shop look at it about 10 years ago and they told him that it was a real coin. I guess the only way to find out is to find a coin dealer who is an authorized NGC dealer and have it sent in.

there are 2 different types 2 spellings of Curency Curency and Currency thosre are the main 2.... both of these are in Pewter, Silver, and Brass

Then you got... Currencey(only in Pewter) and Currency with the orament after the date...

I took this coin to a dealer on Wednesday and he could not tell me much at all. He said that there is a possibility that is was real. As if I didn't already think that. Anyway I have a few pictures of this coin. Would any of your that might know about these allow me to email them to you so I can get your thought?

Thanks

Why not post pictures on the forum? You can embed a photo as an attachment. Where are you located in WA? We can refer a reputable and qualified dealer.

TRUTH

I am located in Vancouver, Wa. The problem that I am running into is that the dealers don't know a bunch about colonial coins. I want to send this coin into either NGC or PCGS and have it looked at, graded and put in the case. I do need some type of suggestion from someone who can assist me in getting this done. .

Point me in the right direction guys.

From the pictures listed by Bruceswar, the coin looks like it is copper or bronze. There were Continental dollars minted in Brass with "curency" in the legend. I don't like the edge, too flat and smooth, but the photograph is nowhere near conclusive. Here's a few dealers in Porland, Oregon area who I recommend for submission to NGC/PCGS.

Columbia Coin

Portland

Clackamas Gold and Silver

Clackamas

They should be in your yellow pages. I also know a few reputable dealers in Seattle/Tacoma, but that's a bit of a drive.

TRUTH

Brass would turn a 'brassy' color. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Frankly, I don't know what brass Continental Dollar looks like. Brass can turn from a dull coppery color, to a light mustard color, depending on the purity of the metal mixture.

TRUTH

Hey guys I am running into a problem. I have called most of the deals in the Portland area and have been told that they do not specialize in colonial coins and really don't want to handle them. I want to get this sent off and graded etc but can find anyone to help me. Any suggestions?

I realize that I've posted to this thread already to tell you that your piece is likely a copy, although I wish you sincere good luck with it, but the responses of the people you called puzzle me. It would seem that most any coin dealer would be happy to send in an authentic Continental dollar, regardless if they specialize in this era or not. Since I don't know how you are approaching these dealers with your request I can only assume that they think the piece is also a copy.

It should not be difficult to get this coin submitted for you. If you are a member of the ANA you can submit coins directly to NGC without the use of a dealer. Likewise, if you register with either PCGS or NGC and use their collector's clubs you can send the coin in yourself. I believe both services offer a club where you pay something like $99 and you get about four regular submissions in return. The regular submissions are about $25-$30 each so you are getting your money's worth in this deal. You can also send more coins in, the deal is not limited to four pieces.

Send the coin in yourself, via Registered Mail, and in a month or so you will have your answer. thumbsup2.gif

Hello,

I'm here as well to see if anyone would know anything about my coin. It's the same as the thread starter's, however, it seems to look pewter. It has CURENCY on it, and also has no indication of the word COPY on the side. The side is very rough, almost looks slightly hammered out.

The coin also looks like it was put together in two pieces as well.

Would anyone be able to tell by a picture?

I would be glad to take some photos of it.

Thank you!

961999-coin.jpg

I am going to call this one a fake and say that sides should not be hammered as such. Also the color does not look great if you ask me... I am not sure it is pewter as that tends to be a more grey color. Maybe I am totally wrong and it is real.. but chances are its a fake... Welcome to the boards...

Anyone can send the coin to ANACS for $10 + S&H if you don't want to join a club.

After reading thier site today it says they do not grade Colonials except for the Fugio cent? Is that incorrect?