• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Started My Fencing Coin Custom Set

3 posts in this topic

I have a bunch of nice coins but only two slabbed examples so far.

The ongoing Winter Olympics has inspired me to start organizing my collection of modern commemoratives featuring the sport of fencing. Although fencing is not a winter sport, it is one of five sports which has been featured at every one of the modern Olympic Games. As I mentioned in one of my journals from last year (http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/JournalDetail.aspx?JournalEntryID=14114), I have been assembling a collection of fencing coins from mostly raw examples. The first two in my custom set (https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=15290) are from slabbed purchases of coins that I had already collected in raw format.

The earliest of my fencing coins is from the massive issue from the Royal Canadian Mint commemorating the 1976 Montreal Olympics. The large size of this first major Olympic commemorative issue has had the unfortunate effect of characterizing Olympic commemoratives as having little collecting value. This is certainly true of this run which remains relatively inexpensive. As others have commented on their journals, modern coins are very questionable investments. For me, these are just for fun.

The coin pictured here is the 1976 Montreal Olympics fencing coin, series 6, number 22, mintage of 1,985,257, with satin finish. I also have an example of the proof finish that I will get slabbed some day. ~jack

15156.jpg

See more journals by jgenn

Hi Jack,

That's a beautiful coin and an interesting new project you've started!! I've always admired what you do on here, and I'll be following your progress on this new set as well!!

Best Regards

~Tom

Jack

Those 1976 Canadian Olympic coins were very nice coins. When I was a teenager I bought the complete set. Unfortunately, when they did not rise in value I traded them all 25 years ago for a seated liberty dollar I have since had graded at MS-35. To this day I regret getting rid of them. At any rate, The fencing coin you have is very nice and a good start to your collection. Keep us posted on the progress of your fencing collection. All the best.

Gary