• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My final newp of January 2014: a rare Anglo-Saxon penny

9 posts in this topic

This penny is from the reign of Eadwig of Wessex, who ruled from 955 to 959. He was the elder son of Eadmund, but succeeded to the throne from his uncle, Eadred.

Here's a refresher of the line of the Kings of Wessex, starting from Ecgberht (802-839) --> Aethelwulf (839-858) and Aethelbald (855-860, with no known coins)

Aethelwulf --> Aethelberht (858-865/866), Aethelred I (865/866-871), Aelfred the Great (871-899)

Aelfred --> Edward the Elder (899-924) --> Aethelstan (924-939, Rex Totius Britanniae), Eadmund (939-946), Eadred (946-955)

Eadmund --> Eadwig (955-959) and Eadgar (959-973 King of all England; 973-975 King of England)

From the Baldwin web site (my very first purchase from them, and couldn't be happier!):

Eadwig, non-portrait Penny, North Western style, Moneyer Agtardes, small cross pattée within linear circle, m in field, +EADPIG REX, outer linear and beaded circle surrounding, rev Moneyer name in two lines, three crosses across centre, rosette of pellets above and below, AGTAR / DES MOT, outer linear and beaded border surrounding, 1.20g (N.725; S.1122). Toned, a little scuffed, otherwise almost extremely fine and very rare.

Eadwig%20S-1122.jpg

Hi Shiroh,

Long time no see.

Yes, there is reverse doubling, but I wouldn't call it "machine" doubling unless we're stretching our definition of machine.

The planchet is also a bit wavy.

Not a perfect coin to be sure, but it is much loved.

EVP

EVP,

That is a cool coin!! And I love older, well loved coins myself. Though they aren't nearly as old as your penny, I have a couple of Ottoman Yuzluks from the 1700's that have that great, well loved feel to them. Congrats on a very cool purchase!!

~Tom

Thanks guys. Collecting world coins has so much variety and history! I think one of these years, I will do a presentation involving Anglo-Saxon history/coinage for a NYNC meeting.

For those who don't know, the NY Numismatic Club is ANA registered member club #1, and boasts VDB as a founding member. See this: First NYNC Meeting Pic

EVP