• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will it grade?

11 posts in this topic

While I think it is most likely natural, I think it is questionable enough that I wouldn't be surprised if NGC called it QT.

But, like Mark said, why would you bother sending it in? It is AU, and not really worth spending the grading fees.

That is a fair question. My first response is it will cost me $30 to send it in and I believe that if it grades the potential resell value of the coin will increase more than the $30. I could be wrong, but it's only a $30 gamble.

But the real answer is it would make me happy to see it grade AU53 NT and really happy to see it AU53-star. In the world of collecting coins $30 is a drop in the bucket.

The reverse makes me think it's been cleaned and now retoned, not just dipped. Lots of hairlines and kinda dull. I would have expected a bit more luster but that could just be the photos. As for the obverse, what's going on under "IN GOD WE". It almost looks like a scrape of some sort. If it is I wouldn't think it would grade in anything other than a details holder.

The reverse makes me think it's been cleaned and now retoned, not just dipped. Lots of hairlines and kinda dull. I would have expected a bit more luster but that could just be the photos. As for the obverse, what's going on under "IN GOD WE". It almost looks like a scrape of some sort. If it is I wouldn't think it would grade in anything other than a details holder.

I don't see any evidence of cleaning on the reverse and the luster easily appears to be adequate for an AU. The area on the obverse looks looks like a patch of scratches.

I don't see this coin as "cleaned," but since it is only an AU, I don't think that it is worth the grading fee. While some people are looking for toned Peace Dollars, they almost always want Mint State pieces. I don't see were certification will enhance the value.

What made me think it looked clean are the numerous shiny lines traveling in the same direction. I just wonder if the light angle were changed would there be just as many going in another direction. I'm Ok with being wrong I was just commenting on what I see.