• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This is ridiculous. Verify a certification # with a more security?

18 posts in this topic

This is totally retarded !

Of course, due to heightened security at NGC all collectors are now required to type in an analog number and also another set of numbers to verify what the coin is on the holder when you go to verify NGC certification.. I really cant see why in the world you really need this.. OH by the way, that second small box, you cant the numbers because the numbers are too dark sometimes. This is becoming a pain. Next NGC will be slabbing a slab. This way you really know its really an NGC holder. I think I will start calling NGC and give them certification # and have them doing the extra work. I love NGC, but I always speak my mind ! DO any other members think this is way too much?

See more journals by Paul Kiraly

Are you familiar with the counterfeit slabbing problem, and the even more rampant problem of stolen Registry serial numbers? I was unaware of this new code, but it sounds like a great way to help prevent both.

About a month ago I went to verify a cert. and a captcha came up and I had to complete it. Then a couple days later I verified another and no captcha. I for one am happy that they are gone. I just verifed one and no captcha or anything.

Are you experiencing something like this?

Coinman 1974

Even if the slabs were to be counterfitted, If someone was to see a 1995 W silver eagle pf70 on ebay, And they wanted to use the same serial # to counterfit it , then what does it make a difference to have a caption to verify the Serial #. What do you mean stolen serial numbers, as soon as someone tries to put a coin in their registry, ngc notifies you, to accept or decline... They have all the basics covered....

This is totally retarded !

Of course, due to heightened security at NGC all collectors are now required to type in an analog number and also another set of numbers to verify what the coin is on the holder when you go to verify NGC certification.. I really cant see why in the world you really need this.. OH by the way, that second small box, you cant the numbers because the numbers are too dark sometimes. This is becoming a pain. Next NGC will be slabbing a slab. This way you really know its really an NGC holder. I think I will start calling NGC and give them certification # and have them doing the extra work. I love NGC, but I always speak my mind ! DO any other members think this is way too much?

See more journals by Paul Kiraly

There was clearly a reason for this being added. There was likely someone who wrote a -script to run across all certification numbers (or something of the sort) and crashed their system. It's pretty commonplace across the web to have to enter a Captcha to verify you are a human being, not some computer program. Get over it.

Wells

I had to enter the caption and the second caption was so dark I couldn't read it. When I typed it in, the screen stayed frozen,, I tried to reenter it and and then IT wouldn't take the #.. It is aggravating.; I know ebay has this to keep spam from other other ppl.. YOu cant spam a certification number

The Registry procedure is a bit cumbersome but if you are merely referring to the NGC/PCGS certification numbers on the labels, this has been SOP to enter those for a long time. And then yes you have to confirm the grade, mintmark, variety if any, etc. It takes a bit of time, patience, and good eyesight helps as well. I don't totally disagree with you that it can sometimes be aggravating. Good luck!

Best Regards,

George

This may only be in regard to the latest and greatest encapsulated coins and does not pertain to coins encapsulated prior to December 2012. A security safety issue!! Added in by NGC for respect to their collectors.

I just added a coin, in a new full view slab, to my Kennedy registry and nothing out of the ordinary happened, typed in the certification number, verified and validated, as per usual.

Well it may just be certain reg #'s that have been found as fraud on other slabs that are fake. I have entered a couple 1000 reg #'s the past 4 years and sold/traded 1000. Never a problem except the usual waiting period for PCGS to be entered. Of course now that I said that I will probably get a karma check!! :)

I'm pretty sure that the Captcha is likely triggered when you visit the page several times within a short amount of time. It is standard on the web to ensure that multiple entries in a short time period are being performed by a human being. If you are entering 1 or 2, and then not returning for a few days, you likely won't see this Captcha stuff. If you are entering cert #s in large quantities, consecutively, and over a few minutes, the system wants to make sure you are not an automated computer -script.

I've seen the CAPTCHA on the NGC website before. I was looking up a recent submission and had entered in 10-15 Cert. #s and then on the next look-up, I was asked to fill out the CAPTCHA, and then I was able to proceed and it never popped up again.

This is a Bradley Manning moment. Thanks to seeing how NGC is dealing with the problem, if I were a criminal, I now know how to commit one more crime. They're likely only employing this security measure on certain grades (like MS70 bullion).

I for one have enjoyed the occasional troll of verification numbers, to see what submission companions a coin had. It's all a guessing game, but it's a decent way to surmise private collector / bulk submitter / broken up mint set / OBW / etc. on modern biz strikes at least.

Thanks for starting the conversation Paul. I had no idea this was going on.