• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dog Eats Dime

23 posts in this topic

I would have liked the title of this journal to be some witty pun on the "dog-eat-dog" idiom. Unfortunately... the title is literal.

Christmas...

My brother and his wife are staying at my place for the holidays. With them they've brought gifts and deserts and all the accoutrements one brings with them while on vacation...

Plus one 75-pound greyhound.

See where this is going?

I recently bought 20 or so new silver Roosevelts and have gone through them to pick out ones that I wanted to send in for grading and certification.

Of those, I picked out three that I set aside for more consideration, and one that, there was no doubt, I was going to send in -- a 1963 P, which I believed would have graded MS 66 FT -- not an easy grade to come across for this date. NGC only has 40 in their registry with a book price of $200. PCGS has less in their registry; 30 at that grade with a book price of $475.

Of course, there is no guarantee that the dime would have graded MS 66 FT. But I was at least 80% confident that it would have achieved that graded, or I wouldn't have considered sending it in for grading in the first place.

We made our rounds today visiting different family members and finishing off the night with a visit to my sick grandmother (Yup, I'm going to use my old, sick grandmother whip up the commiseration.) When we returned to my place for the night we found that Leon (the greyhound) had eaten the cat's food, a large bag of sugar cookies, and one Roosevelt dime from my desk -- you guessed it, the 1963 P.

Gone... Ingested by the hell hound, and currently somewhere working its way into the beast's small intestines.

I would have never thought that the dog would (or even could) get his face up onto my desk, more or less eat one of the dimes on it. "Man's best friend" my ! Ugh...

But hey, at least the dog has good taste. (There's that pun I wanted.)

I can't be too upset. I really didn't pay that much for the raw coin. And it's not like the dog ate the cat, or my boss or the place where I work. I mean...I've live, right. Besides, I'm guessing that the dummy won't be feeling too great tomorrow anyway after also eating those four dozen sugar cookies.

I'm already over it. I actually feel more guilty about being irresponsible with the coin than upset. Although, like I said, I never would have guessed that the dog would eat one of my dimes out of all the other things in the house that you'd think would be more appetizing.

I guess that you win some, you lose some, and the dog eats some.

So let this Christmas tale of loose coins and canine betrayal serve as a warning to others...Keep your cookies out of sight and your coins in a drawer.

Regards,

Mr. Smith Guesser

14924.JPG

See more journals by Mr. Smith Guesser

There could be 10 coins there---one you care about and nine that are scrap, and the dog ignores the nine and gets "the one." Reminds me of some 30 years ago when my then 3 year old son spilled frozen grape juice concentrate on an antique silk Persian rug I'd bought and just put on the floor the night before. I mean, grape juice concentrate? For one, what are the odds that a 3-year old would have juice concentrate (concentrate?) in his hands anyway, much less carry it to the other end of the house to a room he wasn't supposed to (and never would) enter, and drop the concentrate on a silk (silk?) oriental I had just bought? And, it was on a Sunday, of course, when I couldn't get in touch with anyone who could help (well before the internet days). Literally, could not have been worse. The stars must have been lined up.

He'll be making "change" for you real soon I'm sure! lol.

Good for the dog is that it wasn't already slabbed. That might have meant a trip to the vet.

Mr Smith,

When you get the dime back with all the sugar cookies, inspect the coin carefully. Odds are when you send it to NGC for grading it will be returned in a details holder: Artificially Toned.

John

Rather than Artificially Toned, perhaps Environmental Damage and Improperly Cleaned are more likely judgements from the graders, if you bother to retrieve it. Fortunately, it's a coin that didn't cost you too much. I hope the rest of your Holiday time was and will be better.

Alan

Hilarious---Thanks for the laugh.

Glad that you're not too upset about it. You're right----I wouldn't have imagined that the dog would eat the dime, either.

I hope that he doesn't get a bowel obstruction----that could be very painful and even cause death.

Luke,

Man, that's a tough break and a wonderful illustration of one of the many reasons that I'm a cat person!! I have coins all over the place sometimes and I've never had my Pixie-Bob even look at them let alone try to eat one. However, anything resembling string or ribbon is another story entirely..........

Happy Holidays Luke,

Sorry to hear about your dime,lol' however' I just can't imagine a man's

best friend tearing up a piece of cardboard' to get to that dime,(unless',,,.

Now' think back Luke,,,during all the Festive Christmas goodies you ate, was you eating around your coins, like Jerky' meats,etc that no doubt would leave a smell/scent that may of been the reason that poor dog got tempted?

You may want to keep tabs on him,an waitpatiently for him to relieve himself,then search out that coin,,,,lol'

Lol' anyways' a lesson learned . I hope the New Year brings you a success story.

thanks for the sympathy all. my sister-in-law took the dog to the vet this evening and they said he'd be fine. he'll just pass the dime in the next few days.

it was fortunate that the coin was silver. the vet said that if the coin was zinc, the dog could have gotten very sick. and if it were a larger coin, he could have had a problem passing it. so i guess he's lucky that i collect dimes, and not half dollars.

man i'll tell ya, if you can't laugh, you can't live.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that you left an "original" "MS 66 FT" "disme" from your "accumulation" on your desk, next to your "Loupe" and the dog decided to become a "Numismatist".

Now it seems this "major variety" has "cartwheeled" down his gullet because it had exceptional "eye appeal" and (apparently) stolen sugar cookies needed to be "collected" with this "type coin".

As this great coin winds it's way through the mutt's pink parts receiving "striations", adjustment marks" and gets "Doctored" in every way imaginable, all you can actually do is wait for his "body bag" to put in a few more "clash marks". Once it's been thoroughly "cleaned" and "altered" receiving added "luster to the "fasces" this "key coin" will come tumbling out of his "raw" "rim" probably "R/B" during his next "business strike" (otherwise known as his " Grey Sheet)".

If you're so inclined you can "tool" through his "put together roll" hoping that this is the "top pop" you've been waiting for. The ultimate insult is if it's been "whizzed" on too.

"Brilliant".

Not quite the same situation, but a couple of years ago I got a reminder from someone on the boards that I owed him a check for a coin he had sent on approval. I got to looking around--I was sure I had sent it--and looked under my desk. There was the check--along with 2 bust halves and a seated quarter. When I picked them up one would have thought that I had stolen one of my cat's kittens the way she reacted!!! That was HER collection--not mine!

Mrs. Cuddles is gone now--I lost her earlier this month, but I still treasure her collection--it's in the SDB right along with mine.

Too funny...I was also thinking like your Dr did--I was thinking, "Good thing he doesn't collect Morgan's or Ikes--that poor dog would be hurtin in a few days when the coin reappears.........

Fortunately for that anorexic looking mutt it wasn't one of those kids chocolates enclosed in a coin-like wrapper, because chocolate is supposedly poisonous for canines.

yeah definitely anorexic looking. but they're all pretty skinny like that. he was a track dog, but never raced because he doesn't have a good chase instinct. nevertheless, that dog is fast man.

my family has a place in WV with about 20 acres of field in the front. he can get from one side of the property to the other in like 10 bounds. it's awesome to see that dog run.

Greyhounds are champion counter (and desk apparently) surfers! I would have been more worried about all the sugar for the poor dog.

My old greyhound was the sweetest, most ladylike, dainty well behaved girl, except when She Just Couldn't Help Herself. The worst was a bunch of homemade fudge left in the middle of the dining room table. She ate two batches (one chocolate, one peanut butter) leaving the box otherwise undisturbed. In other words, she had to have climbed all the way onto the table with all four feet to have reached it.

Well, she threw up the peanut butter batch on the way to the emergency vet, and they induced vomiting for the chocolate--that was a toxic load. $150 for the e-vet, $150 her regular vet (she needed hydrating the next day) and $150 to get the van detailed and all the puke cleaned up. One heck of an expensive bunch of fudge, but the vets told me all the sugar could have killed her too from pancreatitis.

My new boy, a West Virginian and a track school dropout, will eat just about anything. A dime would pass easily going by some of the stuff coming out of him. He has a fondness for toy squeakers.

Did you ever recover the dime? And is Leon okay?

And, I'm glad I found this post, I leave coins out but won't anymore. After watching Homer's toy evisceration skills, I have no doubt he could crack a slab in no time.

That is soooo funny. My sister-in-law calls him a "table surfer" too. He's just the right height to get his face right up on any kitchen table. And he'll eat anything too. She told me he's eaten a bag of flour, bags of raw rice, loaves of bread...anything.

We never recovered the dime. And he didn't have any problems because of it. However, they found out about a month ago that he has Lymphoma. I haven't seen Leon since he was diagnosed. But my brother says he has head seizures almost everyday now. So his running days are probably over. So I guess he "use to be able" get from one side of the WV property to the other in 10 bounds. But I think he's like 7 or 8 and I didn't think they live very long anyway.

Really, they say that you're not supposed to let them off of a leash. In fact, I think my sister-in-law told me that she had to sign something saying that she'd never let him off the leash. But that dog was like a Ferrari. And you can't let a Ferrari only drive in 1st gear.

know what. i didn't even think of using my metal detector. i'll be out there tomorrow morning with it. my neighbors are probably gonna think i'm nuts. like al capone fishing in his swimming pool.