• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Few Good Points

18 posts in this topic

For a Few Good Collectors - my parody on the never ending saga

NGC rep: You want accurate points?

Collector Kaffee : I think I'm entitled to them.

NGC rep: You want accurate points?

Collector Kaffee: I want the truth!

NGC rep: You can't handle accurate points! Son, we live in a collector's world that has graded holders. And those graded holders have to be scored by men with magnifying glasses. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Collector Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Collector Santiago and you curse the Society. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's low points, while tragic, probably saved collections. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves collections...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me scoring your coin's points. You need me scoring those points.

We use words like Star, stike, modern rarity...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending scores. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a collector who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very NGC Registry I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a coin and sell it on e-bay. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Collector Kaffee: Did you order the high points for modern coins?

NGC rep: (quietly) I did the job they have paid me to do.

Collector Kaffee: Did you order the high points?

NGC rep: You're g%ddamn right I did!!

See more journals by RichH

I love that movie! If for nothing else than that famous Jack Nicholson quote, "The truth? You can't handle the truth!" What an excellent adaptation to the realm of points Rich!. Like Yankeejose, I couldn't help but to laugh at this post, you hit a nerve my friend! :roflmao:

All the best!

Gary

I'd just like to thank the cry babies and NGC for costing me 28000 registry points and 35 slots down the registry. unlike some of them

I work daily on my modern coin collection. and collect what I can afford to collect, I go through many mint sets looking for the best coins I can find only to have NGC say that the coin was improperly cleaned before the mint sealed it in the mint packaging. witch is how NGC got the coin. that's what I think of the resent registry point purge I hope you all are very happy

First off......

Rich, that was fantastic!! Highly amusing!!

But, judging by what wmfielding wrote, there's really no way for NGC to make everyone happy at this juncture as far as scoring goes. I'm largely a world classic guy, and I'll freely admit that it miffs me that a 1999 Silver American Eagle scores more points than my 1941-A 10 Pfennig German Reichskreditkassen that is the only one that NGC has ever graded ( actually that NGC or PCGS has ever graded ). Conversely, I could buy 1999 Silver Eagles by the roll every day if I desired to. But I can see where wmfielding is coming from as well. He gained scores for coins that he bought in good faith and has lost points with the score corrections being done in modern U.S. sets now. Somewhere along the way, the modern U.S. scores just got insanely inflated. As I do not really collect U.S. coins, and I'm in the process of selling off even most of my U.S. one offs, I'm not exactly sure how this happened in the first place, but now NGC is in the process of brining some sanity back to the whole registry and trying to make it fair to all of us. Some people are going to be angered by this, clearly. Particularly the U.S. Modern guys. Others on the Classic side of things, both U.S. and non-U.S., are likely pleased at the corrections. I know I am. But I can feel bad for the collectors losing points as well, even though I agree what NGC is doing, and I do.

Mr. wells yes it has happened to me on at least 7 submissions. They claim someone at the mint must have cleaned up the coin before it was sealed in there packaging. I even called the mint to ask if this was a common practice and they said it never happens. If a coin is dirty or overly damaged it will not be used in there sets....Mike

That's great! I enjoyed reading that journal.

As far as registry points, I'll keep it short. It's frustrating seeing a modern coin with no intrinsic value, and minted under perfect conditions, receive more points than a truly scare classic coin. I'm not a fan of moderns in the least bit, and the amount of points they were getting was laughable. Good for NGC to recognize an error and correct it.

I own almost all modern US proof coinage. I did not see any of my coins go down in points.

The points for me are a way of judging my collection compared to another collection similar to mine. I do not factor in the points before a purchase. I do list points when I sell a coin on eBay but no one can blame me for that. I don't want those guys who buy based on points to have to look it up. I list the mostly crazy FMV as well.

Happy Holidays! :banana: