• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trouble Uploading Pictures???

14 posts in this topic

Rich:

Nope, definitely a problem going in. I've tried several pics for my registered Morgan set over the past three days and I get no response from NGC's server.

I've also noticed that when I viewed My Add/Manage Coins the image I had previously loaded are 'X' out and do not show up.

Eric

NGC changed some links in their system. Note that you will see the Red X when you go to Add/Manage your coin, but if you enter from the Registry View area (open to the public), you can see your pics from there.

• Administrator

Actually, we tested uploading this morning and didn't have a problem. frown.gif

I'm not sure how to duplicate what you're seeing. Can you attach the pic you're trying to upload on a message here, and tell me step-by-step what you're doing?

Thanks,

Arch

Arch,

Here's one problem I see in my sets:

Log into system, and go to Add/Manage Coin. Select first coin on list (in my case a One Cent piece) and click on it. Coin comes up, with description field OK, but no pics where the pics are supposed to be. Two red X's. Click on the X, and you get the popup window with the pic intact, but those X's may be throwing someone into thinking the picture loading is not working like its supposed to.

Second problem. From same Add/Manage Coin -- Coin contains link to sets that coin is displayed in. Click a link, and you get HTTP 404 Not Found error.

Arch, Had to downsize one of my photos but they are up now. Evidently one of the photos was just a little to big and they never would complete upload. Every thing is fine now, thanks! blush.gif

Attached the obv of the 32p Washington I was having trouble with. Don't think you can attach more than one pic, correct?

Rick

589a8ab3040be_103491-1932PPCGSMS65_obv2.jpg.3a3dbdaeaa422f4c5d5223b8c673d878.jpg

• Administrator

We are looking into these issues. They both seem to be related to some moving around of files that we did. I'm sure it's a quick fix for Keith's issues.

In the meantime, I'm glad the uploading problems have been resolved.

I have noticed that it's nearly impossible to load photos from home where I have dial-up access. It seems like the system just hangs up and then nothing. I have just uploaded them from work where I have a T-1 connection, and no problem. Not sure if that's a problem with my end or yours, but the files are not that big for a 56k connection, and I don't have these problems with other sites from home.

Jeff,

Many dial-up links have annoying time-out features. Also, dial-ups really wasn't designed to move pictures -- even small ones -- around.

The way USENET (or, UUCP) gets around this dilapidated technology is to use batching and compression. You should consider compression, but the batching is no good to a live, real-time connection.

EVP

EVP, what I do now is e-mail the photos to myself from home, then download them at work. I have no idea why I would be able to attach all the files to an e-mail message, and not be able to put them up here. Seems like they still have to go through the phone line.

Jeff,

Email is handled differently than a regular dialup user link. For the purposes of this discussion, email is very similar to USENET. It uses a batch (or, store-n-forward) mechanism and encodes all attachments, special fonts, etc., before sending as a ``regular'' text message (as per IETF RFC 821?).

If you want more geek-speak, let me know. I love this stuff!

EVP

No more geek speak!!!! So why can't the registry use the same thing as hotmail so I can upload from home? I am a non-tech guy, and all I know is at home on the old 56k modem, hotmail works, registry occasionally works.

Short answer: I don't know how the registry software is written, so I really can't say for sure.

Longer answer: Different systems have different ways of communicating. Some software use compression, some use a best-effort approach while others use a guaranteed delivery method. Some others even use more complicated and arcane methods. All these differences are what is causing you stress!

A registry system such as this, I suppose, is based on a commercial-grade database system. That probably means that they implement some real-time (or, actual time) guaranteed delivery mechanism. A modem line is extremely unreliable for this purpose, and can easily cause the software to think that something is wrong with your link to upload your registry entries.

EVP