• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trying to identify this slab

15 posts in this topic

I got this at a local auction last Sunday. The slab isn't generation 4 (since generation 4 is not suppose to include a bar code) but it's not on the list of slabs available googling.

What is it and when was it started/stopped.

Thanks

<a  href=051_zpsd156f274.jpg' alt='051_zpsd156f27

According to Conder101's post on NGC slabs, that's an NGC 5, which was used from 1992 to 1997.

On the back it should have a full-width hologram.

According to Conder101's post on NGC slabs, that's an NGC 5, which was used from 1992 to 1997.

according to conder's post, NGC 5 slabs had a BROWN label, not a green one...?

so I don't think that's it...

As Conder101 has mentioned (either in his NGC thread or elsewhere), he can't distinguish between green and brown, so I believe that he wasn't able to separate when NGC used two label colors on one slab style.

I can't remember if anyone else was ever able to shed any light on whether the two labels were used at different periods. As I recall, there weren't any other differences between the green and brown-label slabs except the color of the labels.

Now that you mention it I do remember Condor saying he had colorblindness.

Shane thought it was a generation 5 also. That exact slab just seems to be missing from the list but it may be covered in the verbage.

Thanks for your help.

according to conder's post, NGC 5 slabs had a BROWN label, not a green one...?

so I don't think that's it...

My understanding is that the green labels started out their lives as brown labels... (shrug) Don;t quote me on that though; I wasn't collecting in the late 1980s/ early 1990s and am relying on what I have been told by reputable sources.

The generation that came with both green and brown borders, from what has been reported to me, was NGC 3. As mentioned I can't tell them apart. To me the green and brown borders are the same. Whichever one the NGC ended up with should be the same border used on NGC 4 and 5.

This is an old thread and the pictures are missing but I'm assuming the OP had a green NGC 5 slab like this one posted below. I checked condors original thread about all the different styles and there's no mention of a green NGC 5 slab, I'm not sure if that's because condor is color blind or if it just hasn't been confirmed yet. Any insight on this would be appreciated. I'm thinking probably fairly scarce. 

IMG_3294.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

I have circumstantial evidence that the green labels were used before browns. For example, the NGC-005-4-1 Liberty Nickel slab I've been tracking for years - there is at most 1 set of greens and multiple (8 or 9) sets of browns. Out of 100, 5 are green, 6 unknown and there are no green overlaps.

By observation at coin shows and eBay, greens are much less common.

The physical slab is also very slightly different in size. Fraction of a mm, but measurable - especially if you try to stack them.

This thread brought back memories. I have slabs that are hard to tell the label color, insomuch as some of the brown labels do appear to get bleached out or fade and have a greenish hue. But i'm talking mainly samples.