• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,480 posts in this topic

Just received this coin today from Jim(copper toning). Thanks again Jim!

1930-SLincolnFullCoin_zps5cc47eda.png

Great looking Lincoln!! So how is it that a guy thats not "into" red cents have this to sell, riddle me that. lol:)

Edited by coinbuf

This Conder Token below is from 'Da Man Himself. For those of you have had your interest piqued by the Conder Tokens some of us have shown here, I encourage y'all to go to the thread we have in World Coins and enjoy:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4555785&fpart=1

To learn more about what Conder tokens are and the amazing diversity within the series:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conder_token

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Conder

It was an amazing time in history, the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Conder tokens, the Soho Mint, and a reluctance by the English Mint to make coppers for the common man led to a vast diversity of tokens so that basic commerce could be sustained. It is all captured in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Money-Birmingham-Beginnings-1775-1821/dp/0472116312/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384050737&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=good+money+Soho+mint

And, most importantly and off subject, go Keenum!

Best, HT

DH-35SuffolkNGCMS64comp_zps41fdab63.jpg

Love the 1937 and 1930-S Lincoln's, even if I am a BN sort of guy.

Great looking Conder HT. With all the tokens, colonial coinage and the new US Mint it must have been a wild time.

Just received this coin today from Jim(copper toning). Thanks again Jim!

1930-SLincolnFullCoin_zps5cc47eda.png

Great looking Lincoln!! So how is it that a guy thats not "into" red cents have this to sell, riddle me that. lol:)

lol that is kinda funny.

Maybe not for me, but I know a nice cent when I see one.

Picked it up for $25 and very glad to find it a nice home for only $40 shipped.

Love the 1937 and 1930-S Lincoln's, even if I am a BN sort of guy.

Great looking Conder HT. With all the tokens, colonial coinage and the new US Mint it must have been a wild time.

Hi Bob,

And interestingly, some of the tokens minted in England during that time listed in Dalton and Hamer - 'The Provincial Token-Coinage Of The 18th Century' (i.e. Conder Token book) are actually considered to be part of the US Colonial series as well because they were distributed here in the US. For example, the below are some that are part of both series and minted in England. MS examples that are part of the colonial series cost many multiples of Conders that stayed in the UK and were for the British. The Talbot, Allum, and Lee tokens were minted by Kempson in Birmingham but did not make it into the Conder series and there are many others minted in England during the 1790s in the same mints for the two series. The ties between US Colonials and Conders are strong.

Best, HT

Kentucky token (Lancashire 59)

Washington Liverpool Halfpenny (Lancashire 116)

Franklin Press (Middlesex 307)

Washington Left Liberty & Security undated (Middlesex 243 Asylum edge)

Washington Right . Liberty & Security . 1795 (Middlesex 244 Asylum edge)

Washington Grate - Large Buttons (Middlesex 283)

Washington Grate - Small Buttons (Middlesex 284)

Washington President 1791 One Cent (Middlesex 1049)

Washington President One Cent 1791 (Middlesex 1050)

Washington President Ship Halfpenny (Middlesex 1051)

Washington Right Liberty & Security 1795 (Middlesex 1052)

Washington North Wales (Middlesex 1052 Bis)

New York Theatre token (Middlesex 167)

Here is a nice Kempson token produced in the same mint as the Colonial series Talbot, Allum, and Lee cents. There are dozens of Conders in the Kempson building series. You can get these for a few hundred dollars whereas the least rare TAL cents for for thousands in the MS 63 and higher grades. Go figure.

DH-191WarwickshireNGCMS63PLcomp_zpsdb64e404.jpg

That is a great explanation of the token for those of us who don know, and have not studied them. Which one in your opinion is the most unusual

Edited by wheat'swheats

Hi,

Could you tell me ? Is that a faint finger print between the word "one" and E Pluribus Unum on the reverse ? It sure looks that way in the photo ! From the coloration of it , it appears to be on the coin and not the slab.

I kinda like it, but believe the grade font is too large and competes with the coin images. I also would downsize the sticker and put it with the grade to organize that information together. Bottom line, the coin should dominate the eye, not the grading info which really should be a footnote, if revealed at all (IMHO).

I kinda like it, but believe the grade font is too large and competes with the coin images. I also would downsize the sticker and put it with the grade to organize that information together. Bottom line, the coin should dominate the eye, not the grading info which really should be a footnote, if revealed at all (IMHO).

I agree. Might even experiment with opacity with the font. 70-80% opacity might look less imposing.

Just wrangled this from Winged Liberty. MS65BN. There is a ton of luster that doesn't show with the TrueView.

26042066_Large.jpg

SoI had some free time and was playing around with some backgrounds and sizes, what do you all think. Too big too small like the background dont, etc.

1909-S-Comp-1.jpg

I think it looks fine nice looking cent by the way

SoI had some free time and was playing around with some backgrounds and sizes, what do you all think. Too big too small like the background dont, etc.

1909-S-Comp-1.jpg

this one looks really sweet. nice coin :)

Thanks for the suggestions and complements everyone, I had to agree that after looking at it again some changes needed to be made. I experimented with putting the CAC at the bottom but in the end I like how having it at the top seems to balance the picture. So after tweaking the font/CAC logo and making the coin pics slightly larger this is what I think will be the final product. :)

1909-S-Comp2.jpg