• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,483 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, numisport said:

Hard to find this cameo this perfect.

01c_1957PF68RDCAMEONGC_4852272-001_L.jpg

Unless my circumstances change drastically, for the better, this is about as close to copper perfection I can ever hope to ever get close to.  If there is anything to distinguish this gem from a higher grade , I not only see it -- I cannot even imagine what it may be. Nice catch! Nothing in my modest holdings comes closer to approaching the Wow! factor. I am very impressed!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Missing letter

On 7/11/2019 at 7:06 PM, Mohawk said:

I love it Emi and, yes, they are very interesting people.  In my opinion, you'd be hard pressed to find a Roman Imperial in this time period who isn't interesting, which is what makes collecting the Five Good Emperors and the people connected to them so much fun!  I'd say that the closest you come to an uninteresting Roman royal for this time is probable Faustina victim Lucius Verus.  He was kind of a flat tire, at least in my opinion, but the rest are absolutely fascinating!  I love the contrast between Marcus Aurelius, who was so stoic, peaceful and and philosophically spiritual and his wife Faustina who, well.......wasn't.  She was an educated, intelligent and cultured woman, to be sure, but she also had that brutal warrior side to her, much more so than her husband.  But they loved each other in spite of these differences and had what was arguably the most normal marriage in all of Roman Imperial history.  And, Faustina's vicious side allowed her to do some of the heavy lifting for Marcus Aurelius, so he didn't have to endure such activities, which would have been much more distasteful to him and taken a higher toll on him than they would have for Faustina.  In spite of whatever else she did (the poisonings, the alleged throwing of people to wild beasts for various reasons, the angering of many Senators with her outspoken and sometimes violent nature.   But not the infidelity to Marcus Aurelius.  That does not appear to be true.  Rather, these allegations were likely made by Senators and other powerful enemies she made to discredit her and, maybe, get her out of the way.) , Faustina clearly loved him deeply to the point where she was always by his side, wherever he was and whatever had to be done there.  And she gave him 13 children, so something was definitely good in that marriage :)But Commodus seems to have certainly inherited this brutal side from Faustina and unlike her, he was unable to check it at all.  Nor did he have a partner to help him check it, like Faustina had in Marcus Aurelius.  And poor Lucilla, who was married to Verus, who has always struck me as a total *spoon*, first was betrothed to him then 4 years later, loses her Augusta status when Verus either dies of the Antonine Plague or at the hands of Lucilla's mother!  I think she was fine with losing Verus but not her status.  And apparently Faustina didn't approve of Lucilla's second marriage to a Senator (I don't recall his name off the top of my head) either, but at least she didn't kill the guy. 

Sorry for the small book....Faustina is a passionate subject for me....she's so absolutely fascinating to me!  I'm so pleased to hear that you are going to add her and Lucilla to your collection Emi.  If I can help you with that in any way, don't be afraid to ask.  I always love talking ancients, clearly :)

~Tom

I’m very grateful for your small book and talk about the ancients! A Marcus Aurelius aureus is very much the coin on my numismatic horizon. Always preferred the stoical emperor to the dictatorial Julius Caesar. I’m in the habit of taking numismatic and/or bullion breaks whenever I complete a major coin collection and before embarking on another collection. I’ve collected the five key coins of Queen Victoria’s reign, the seven George V mint marks and five Morgan dollar mint marks along with other collections. I purchased the Victoria Gothic crown and some florins during my last break. The leap to an ancient aureus represents a much larger leap through time for me. Some modern practitioners of Stoicism during the present pandemic have taken inspiration from the philosophical response of Marcus Aurelius to the ancient Antonine Plague.

Edited by S3R3NDIPITY

4 hours ago, Coinbuf said:

1909Sccomp.jpg

Your stunning, seemingly straight off the presumably for-circulation minting press never ceases to amaze me!

1 hour ago, rocket23 said:

I put a bunch of unc pennies on flea bay. I doubt I’ll get a sale.  Wheaties are weird some times. 

Hope they go well for you, common dates can be a tough sell and the pops for the high grade stuff just keeps climbing which is depressing the prices for the lower grades.  I remember when MS66 graded coins were tough, now they are a dime a dozen for most of the Lincoln series.

3 hours ago, rocket23 said:

I put a bunch of unc pennies on flea bay. I doubt I’ll get a sale.  Wheaties are weird some times. 

The first 50 years -- no offense to Coinbuf and other serious collectors of the series -- are, IMHO, the only ones worth collecting.  Why?  Because they were real.  Today, coin collectors who refuse to be extorted by the U.S. Mint and their cronies, "the authorized distrubutors," are reduced to scavenging for "errors" dubious "varieties" and all manner of oddities which can easily be explained by "authorities" and "experts" who frequent this site. A very sad state of affairs indeed.

9 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

The first 50 years -- no offense to Coinbuf and other serious collectors of the series -- are, IMHO, the only ones worth collecting.  Why?  Because they were real.  Today, coin collectors who refuse to be extorted by the U.S. Mint and their cronies, "the authorized distrubutors," are reduced to scavenging for "errors" dubious "varieties" and all manner of oddities which can easily be explained by "authorities" and "experts" who frequent this site. A very sad state of affairs indeed.

And rarities or I should say special conditions. Which in the real scope doesn’t or at the very least wouldn’t matter at all. But it does. 

1 hour ago, robec1347 said:

RIWhite_1833HalfCent_MS64.jpg

1 hour ago, robec1347 said:

RIWhite_1833HalfCent_MS64.jpg

Great piece with fine dentil insurance and an iridescent glow to die for! (First evidence I've seen that submissions have exceeded the 50-million marker). Lovely copper!

9 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Good to see you posting again on this side of the street, Sir Robert.  Beautiful coin. :luhv:

Thanks Bob, I appreciate the greeting. 😀