• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,473 posts in this topic

On 9/23/2013 at 6:26 PM, Keigwin said:

1912PCGS66RDobv_zps309e4f6a.jpg1912PCGS66RDrev_zps50f77e1b.jpg

Had to come back and look at this fine specimen what with rumors flying that the Mint is considering suspending production of pennies in the face of COVID-19 and the two cents it is costing them to maintain mintage of this classic coin series...

On 12/20/2019 at 9:20 PM, robec1347 said:

I've been busy re-imaging my Lincoln's as well. I forgot that I even had a couple of Reds.

RIWhite_1944dLinc_MS66RD.jpg

RIWhite_1946dLinc_MS66RD.jpg

Impossibly beautiful specimens! (Funny how I never noticed the "M" in AMERICA, as rendered, looks hauntingly familiar to the "M" in MACHT on the sign at Aushwitz.)

On 9/23/2013 at 2:58 PM, wheat'swheats said:

Now we copper collectors have a place to go. All copper is welcome

Relying heavily on my negative-three Intelligence Quotient, which has been documented frequently and reliably by numerous accredited authorities, I feel confident in making the following outrageous assertion universally ridiculed by the experts:  the reign of the Classic copper cent lasted only a half-century when a pair of wheat ears was substituted for a pile of stone. Any penny minted before the advent of the Lincoln cent is exempt from this condemnation for obvious reasons: with few exceptions they were made using real copper which produced an unmistakable authentic ring when dropped or spun on a smooth surface unlike the copper-colored mascara applied to the pseudo pennies of the past sixty years.

1 hour ago, Coin Cave said:

DSCN2799.JPG

DSCN2800.JPG

Great example!  I've always loved these two-cent pieces.  Look at that artistry!  Look at the flourish on that 2 and the letters with definition!  (No comparison with the generic, computer-generated fonts of today.) Thanks for sharing. First time I have ever been able to see one of these up close in over 50 years.

On 9/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Great example!  I've always loved these two-cent pieces.  Look at that artistry!  Look at the flourish on that 2 and the letters with definition!  (No comparison with the generic, computer-generated fonts of today.) Thanks for sharing. First time I have ever been able to see one of these up close in over 50 years.

I have no idea the last time I was here, and I really have no idea the last time that I heard that someone liked 2 Cent Pieces.:banana:

1864 proof.jpg

1872 obverse.jpg

1872 reverse.jpg

1872 slab.jpg

2c1872-3580.jpg

1866.jpg

9 minutes ago, Raybo55 said:

I have no idea the last time I was here, and I really have no idea the last time that I heard that someone liked 2 Cent Pieces.:banana:

1864 proof.jpg

1872 obverse.jpg

1872 reverse.jpg

1872 slab.jpg

2c1872-3580.jpg

1866.jpg

You're probably right.  A few years back the $1,000,000 question (the answer to which the contestant, I believe, did not know) on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire," then moderated by Regis Philbin was: What was the first U.S. coin that bore the legend IN GOD WE TRUST?  Your two-cent pieces are the finest examples I have ever seen up close. Great stuff!

18 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

You're probably right.  A few years back the $1,000,000 question (the answer to which the contestant, I believe, did not know) on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire," then moderated by Regis Philbin was: What was the first U.S. coin that bore the legend IN GOD WE TRUST?  Your two-cent pieces are the finest examples I have ever seen up close. Great stuff!

That was the million dollar question? 

Thin market for these " children" but I really love them. short series and they are copper! I really love BROWN copper.

Edited by Raybo55

14 hours ago, Raybo55 said:

Glad you are stopped back in, I love 2 Cent pieces but only have the one in my 7070 set, a series that I'd like to explore more of but have not yet.

1864-Comp.jpg