• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,473 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2017 at 4:02 AM, wheat'swheats said:

Nice stuff Chris. Been gone a while have been having heart problems. will post some more copper as soon as I can

Hi Wheat sorry to hear you have not been feeling well, hope your doing better.  I've not been on here much lately myself, busy with other projects and have not bought a new coin in over a year.  Guess I'll just have to keep posting the old stuff, lol.  Talk to you soon.

Chris I don't consider that one toned. I look at it as a red and brown example. Toned ones to me look like they have been heat treated or some other operation has been used whether chemical or heat. that is not to say that they have been but they appear so to me and I just cannot develop a liking for them. Chris do you have a FB page? if so would you send me your ID in an e mail to wheatscabin@att.net it will be easier to show you a couple I have picked up. I don't think I  like this new format. they keep asking for stuff that my malware screen keeps blocking.

Edited by wheat'swheats

"...I don't consider that one toned. I look at it as a red and brown example. Toned ones to me look like they have been heat treated or some other operation has been used whether chemical or heat."
long-term exposure in an old paper/cardboard envelope will "rainbow" brown lustrous Bronze pennies; some original uncleaned Matte Proofs exhibit this

Edited by allmine

Why I LOVE Copper Coins in PCGS Holders! Bought as "VF Details Cleaned". Broken-out, it became evident that something broke the obverse die when the coin was struck: it left an imprint and broke the edge, creating a rim cud at Stars 2-4. All of this was hidden by a plastic bezel in the holder. Now confirmed as the Unique Manley 4.0 Terminal Die State.

2812a.jpg

I know that it is not a Wheat Penny but I figured who better to ask than a bunch of Lincoln Penny experts!

I need another set of eyes on this one. Do you think that the penny shown below is a 1992 Close AM or Wide AM??? 

Thanks for your time, help and knowledge!!?

IMG_20170907_160230118.jpg

IMG_20170907_160551352.jpg

IMG_20170907_161422476.jpg

IMG_20170907_161310998.jpg

The top photo makes it look like a Close AM. In fact it looks like the letters are on top of one another.

But the last photo makes it look like a Wide AM. I think you need better straight up and down pics, not with the coin tilted.

1 hour ago, robec1347 said:

The top photo makes it look like a Close AM. In fact it looks like the letters are on top of one another.

But the last photo makes it look like a Wide AM. I think you need better straight up and down pics, not with the coin tilted.

Thanks for your input and opinion! I took a few more pictures of the coin. I used a 7x magnifying glass. Hope it helps!!! Thanks again for your help! P.S. if theoretically you had about 20+ of these coins both P & D (mint condition) what would you do? I just sent one in for grading but you are all well aware of the timeline for returns from the "grading companies"!!! Just sit on them and slowly get them graded and sold??? Some look closer and a couple look a little bit farther apart. I figured that I should use one that represented the majority of the coins. If you don't think that this one is a close AM please let me know and I will upload other coins.

Thanks again for your help!

IMG_20170907_205005742_HDR.thumb.jpg.db2c4218eaf0d9b341ac23e4467ba29c.jpgIMG_20170907_205107244_HDR.thumb.jpg.654f24e5eb1a5a93618c2022fbd549ea.jpgIMG_20170907_205114747_HDR.thumb.jpg.6a35a687100b57cbc4c367b04999a9f6.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:50 PM, J3_Dog said:

What Grade on this. I'll guess! Um... MS 67* PL Cameo

Don't know about the * but it is definitely nice.  would be interesting to me if it would sticker

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:36 AM, robec1347 said:

Here is a photo comparison courtesy of CoinFacts.

Based on the photos your coin appears to be the Wide AM

SafariScreenSnapz011.jpg

wide am

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, kidrootbeer said:

"...I don't consider that one toned. I look at it as a red and brown example. Toned ones to me look like they have been heat treated or some other operation has been used whether chemical or heat."
long-term exposure in an old paper/cardboard envelope will "rainbow" brown lustrous Bronze pennies; some original uncleaned Matte Proofs exhibit this

Which would back up what I said about how they are made either by a result of manufacture or by intent.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, joshua porter said:

I know that it is not a Wheat Penny but I figured who better to ask than a bunch of Lincoln Penny experts!

I need another set of eyes on this one. Do you think that the penny shown below is a 1992 Close AM or Wide AM??? 

Thanks for your time, help and knowledge!!?

IMG_20170907_160230118.jpg

IMG_20170907_160551352.jpg

IMG_20170907_161422476.jpg

IMG_20170907_161310998.jpg

This forum is for all copper not just wheat cents