• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,472 posts in this topic

Got this out of a box of coins left to me when my paternal grandmother died about 30 years ago.  I had no idea she (or my grandfather) collected coins, as I didn't start collecting until about that timeframe.  The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

bc1930_rLI1o5.jpg

bc1930_rLI1r5.jpg

On 5/1/2017 at 11:31 AM, MaxScout said:

So how do all of you collect these most fantastic copper coins? By the Set, Date, Type, or What is the Reason for your collecting these awesome coins.  

tone and availability mostly for me

On 5/1/2017 at 8:31 AM, MaxScout said:

So how do all of you collect these most fantastic copper coins? By the Set, Date, Type, or What is the Reason for your collecting these awesome coins.  

Indian Head Cents (IHC) I started because I inherited an ~ 60% complete Whitman IHC album from my paternal grandparents.  At first I tried to keep the coins I added to the set in the same comparable range as the rest of the coins in the set, predominantly VF20 - XF40, and then I realized that I could collect the coins as I so wished, so I started to collect MS63 - MS64 coins for the last ~ 20 years of the set.

I got started on Lincolns as kind of an offshoot of collecting the IHC.

On 5/1/2017 at 8:31 AM, MaxScout said:

For myself I collect by set, I need only one coin to complete the 09-58 set.  As to why I like the history behind this president and I like the rev design, besides who wouldn't like a bright red copper cent.

1910-S-Comp_1.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf