• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,483 posts in this topic

MarkW - I love the coin in the picture but story of finding it and another close by makes it a story you could tell a thousand times! I wish I had one like it to tell my grandkids someday!

Rick

180079ord600-horz_zps66e347df.jpg

1800/79. Dug coin. Metal detector find. Environmental damage. Also picked an 1802 within 5 feet of this one.

heck55 was referencing a post from 2013.

Coin was found at the site where Nantucket's first white settlers landed in 1659 along with an 1802 large cent and a 1917 half. It would have been nice if those original settlers left me a coin or 2 as well.

Edited by MarkW

I agree but I need to do some searching and put this thing under the microscope for more detail. I also have other 1907 coins I can compare with....Very interesting....

Bud

Edited by ArmyBud

If I am not mistaken these cents and other s were sold at tourist stands in the 50-60s. They came in a small pack for the kids, back when you could still sell small things for kids without the government banning them as too dangerous

Edited by wheat'swheats