• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of copper
4 4

2,472 posts in this topic

what is the color around some of the leaves that look almost like water puddled on the coin.

There doesn't appear to be any pooling of liquid in hand, and there is nothing (e.g. no debris, residue, spotty toning, or any significant discoloration) of that area in hand; it is just metal that looks like the rest of the fields. I am leaning towards it being a strike through. (At first I thought it could be a die clash, but it doesn't seem to fit with the obverse design). You can see it in hand, but it doesn't jump out at you like it does in the images. The mirrors are emphasizing it and the way it reflects light is making it look funky in the images. It looks like part of the metal itself in hand and not some unknown substance on the metal, and it doesn't look pale/a different color in hand.

what is the color around some of the leaves that look almost like water puddled on the coin.
Mike if you look closely it's the outline of the face caused by clash marks.

ex3u.png

I have not been part of the forums much lately. I must say I do LOVE this new thread.

1917crackout_zpsc1a8ef7a.jpg

A video if you want to check it out

http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/jimbobstar/media/DSCN7485_zps6a63ef75.mp4.html?sort=3&o=21

Not sure what happened to the picture I have not uploaded from photobucket in a while. Has something changed?

Fixed it

Edited by copper toning

Don't need a video for the 1917. The photo is outrageous. Beautiful Lincoln!!

Oh, and you don't need to send it to NGC.......you can just send it to me. :D

Edited by robec1347

If you can submit the coin for me maybe I can get it certified and get professional images at the same time??? :grin:

If you can submit the coin for me maybe I can get it certified and get professional images at the same time??? :grin:

I would love to do both, but I love the photos you have. That would be a tough photo to beat.

That's probably the nicest looking 1917 I've seen. That would look great in a 66BN slab, if not higher.

ex3u.png

Sam, thank you so much for posting that. As many times as I have looked at the coin, I never could see the overlay with the obverse design until you posted that (and this is the reason why I said I thought it might have been a strike through rather than a die clash). I very much appreciate the time and effort that you put into finding the evidence and pointing it out to me.

I would love to do both, but I love the photos you have. That would be a tough photo to beat.

That's probably the nicest looking 1917 I've seen. That would look great in a 66BN slab, if not higher.

I agree. I like both of the 1917 cents, and the one posted by copper toning has incredible luster, and the color is very attractive. Although I am not usually a BN copper person, this is definitely a coin that I am a fan of (much like some of the MPLs you have posted).

ex3u.png

Sam, thank you so much for posting that. As many times as I have looked at the coin, I never could see the overlay with the obverse design until you posted that (and this is the reason why I said I thought it might have been a strike through rather than a die clash). I very much appreciate the time and effort that you put into finding the evidence and pointing it out to me.
Kenny, I have to say that I appreciate you posting such an awesome coin for us to view! TBH, that thing is so PL that I originally thought, why is Kenny posting a toned silver coin to this thread!!! Seriously, that's what I thought!

On another note, I absolutely love that 42 cameo proof cent. I wonder if you saw the one that was on Teletrade here recently? I put it on my track list but I forgot about it. I can't remember the date but I think it was a 38? PCGS PR64Cam.

It now owns a green sticker

This is not one of the group at the bean factory right now ;), I just need to send the s/s horizontal in and then all the 1909's will be beaned.

Copper toning this was crossed from a PCI gold label holder and because it was crossed not cracked it only crossed at grade. I suspect that if I cracked it and submited it thru the right sources it very well could receive a 66 grade. And while I do like to play the registry thing I seldom spend time and money on trying for upgrades.

you surely need to send that one

Well registry points wise its only about a 100 point upgrade so not much upside that way. Now price wise thats a different matter and it would make sense when the time comes to sell. Now this little girl just received her new green bean this week. :)

1909SVDB-Comp.jpg