• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

- RANT -

44 posts in this topic

UPDATE

I've contacted the sellers and they apologized and were very nice about it..

i did not mean to throw dirt at this dealer, and in no way am i saying i won't do business with them again.

this is not my first time purchasing coins from them , and i'm planning to buy from them again.

mistakes happen, and they handled it very professionally

thanks everyone for your comments!

this is so frustrating!

one of my main collection interests is NGC sample slabs.

finding these 2 scarcer types of samples (Morgan Dollar sample) on a big dealer's website (thanks 123cents for referring me to the sale), i bought them both (they weren't cheap)

i got the coins today and there was a sticker on the hologram on the back of the slab.

not even a sticker with a barcode or a lot number, just an advertisement with the dealer's business name and phone number.

i figured it was one of those stickers that came off clean without leaving any tape residue (GreatCollections use stickers that come off nice and easy and never damage the slab).

so i just went and peeled the stickers off carefully. what happens, you ask? it did come off smoothly, TAKING OFF HALF THE HOLOGRAM WITH IT

IMG_5892_zps43be93c5.jpg

You'd expect a big dealers that's been in business for years to know that some of the earlier types of NGC slabs had the hologram outside the plastic, and only later moved into the slab, behind the plastic.

what makes it worse, is that with sample slabs the appearance and condition of the slab itself are more important than the coin slabbed inside.

a slab with a chip on the corner is not a big problem when it's a great coin you buy, but if it's a scarce sample slab, it makes a big difference.

it is very annoying that this holder survived in perfect shape for 25 years or so, and now this happens just a couple days before i bought it.

THE SLAB IS BIG ENOUGH TO PUT 5 STICKERS ON IT AND STILL NOT TOUCH THE HOLOGRAM.

yet the sticker was ON the hologram.

i don't know why anyone would do that....

I've bought over 50 sample slabs in the last 6 months; all in great condition with full holograms ( LOOK HERE ), and now these 2.. i wish they were some of the more common ones, they would already have been on the way back to the seller.

RANT OVER

IMG_5893_zps44826f10.jpg

IMG_5894_zpsbeb6fa43.jpg

Yonico,

I've had the same thing happen and by the same company. I've purchased quite a few coins from NE Numismatics and was not happy when one of them had this same problem. I contacted them and their response was "it happens and we don't care about it".

Joe

Well, thanks for the info. Never order anything from Northeast Numismatics/northeastcoin.com.

Appreciated.

I have ordered several nice quality world coins from NE numismatics. If your main interest is in the holder and not the coin, then so be it with your "never" mantra. I think for those of us more interested in the coin, it is silly to have such a dogmatic exclusion.

This topic had been discussed many times before. And, the only way to make sellers realize that you are unhappy with this practice is to let them know with an email or phone call. Rants do little for changing practices...but I feel your pain.

Well, thanks for the info. Never order anything from Northeast Numismatics/northeastcoin.com.

Appreciated.

If you care just about the slabs and not the coins. But if you care about the coins, they are an excellent company to deal with.

Appreciated.

I didn't mean to imply that in my post. I just was sharing a similar experience with them. I have since ordered other coins from them because they have a nice inventory and reasonable pricing. They also ship quickly.

I'd contact them and explain that the slab itself for you was the attraction. They ruined it for the purposes you intended and tell them you're sending it back for a refund.

I feel your pain. I have many NGC coins where the hologram has been ruined by some dealer's sticker. I wish they would not put the sticker over the hologram because it sure makes the reverse of the coin look bad when it is removed. It detracts your attention away from the coin.

Collecting sample slabs is what it is, the slab!! I can somewhat understand the disappointment here when a person is actually collecting these sample slabs. I don't understand the "collect the coin instead of the slab" comments when these sample slabs are clearly collectible also. I would be a little frustrated also if the slab was damaged due to a businesses neglect to place a sticker where it doesn't damage the slab when removed.

Collecting sample slabs is what it is, the slab!! I can somewhat understand the disappointment here when a person is actually collecting these sample slabs. I don't understand the "collect the coin instead of the slab" comments when these sample slabs are clearly collectible also. I would be a little frustrated also if the slab was damaged due to a businesses neglect to place a sticker where it doesn't damage the slab when removed.

Agreed 100%

Buy the car for the engine, not the body. :roflmao:

This is not meant to be a rhetorical question - are sample slabs produced and distributed for promotional purposes, or for the benefit of collectors, who wish to collect them?

Thanks.

This is not meant to be a rhetorical question - are sample slabs produced and distributed for promotional purposes, or for the benefit of collectors, who wish to collect them?

Thanks.

These days, I would be shocked if the TPGs did not know the answer was BOTH! Back in the day, I would say TPGs only distributed them with the purpose being a cheap promotional item.

Of course sample slabs were produced and distributed for promotional purposes but if dealers felt they only had promotional value they would not be charging such large premiums for them. They know they are now highly collectible and they charge as such for them.

Unfortunate for sure, while not a slab collector in the strict sense I do appreciate it when I can find a nice coin in an older holder that is clean and intact. I think the best course of action is to send the coins back, I beleive that NEN has a solid return policy

Yonico,

I've had the same thing happen and by the same company. I've purchased quite a few coins from NE Numismatics and was not happy when one of them had this same problem. I contacted them and their response was "it happens and we don't care about it".

Joe

i actually sent them an email about this issue last night, they got back to me this morning and apologized saying they had a new employee who didn't know not to place a sticker on the hologram.

they also said they understood if i wanted to return the coins, but if i do keep them they will refund some of the buying price. so i do understand that mistakes happen, but at least they were nice enough to admit it.

I have ordered several nice quality world coins from NE numismatics. If your main interest is in the holder and not the coin, then so be it with your "never" mantra. I think for those of us more interested in the coin, it is silly to have such a dogmatic exclusion.

This topic had been discussed many times before. And, the only way to make sellers realize that you are unhappy with this practice is to let them know with an email or phone call. Rants do little for changing practices...but I feel your pain.

i would definitely order from them again.

i do care about the plastic more than the coin IN THIS CASE where the collection is a slab collection.

i did email them and tried to find a solution before i posted the rant. this is just ventilating and i know it does no good.

Thanks.

Mark, how many u.s coins & paper money issues were produced for general circulation and business, and are collected and certified and traded all day long?

can you really say all things people collect were meant to be collected?

"Business strike is a term that distinguishes coins created for commerce from commemorative coins and proof coins. Regular issue coins are normally produced in relatively large numbers, and are primarily meant to be used as pocket change, not collected. Business Strike is the technical term for regular issue coinage."

the PCGS Doily holder and the black NGC holder and NGC 2.0 & 2.1 - were they made to just securely hold a coin or to be collected as slabs? cause you can buy a coin for $50, but if it was slabbed in a 1st gen. black NGC holder you will be paying $1000 some collectors will be paying $1,000 for it.

Yonico,

Joe

I'm sorry, but I find this very difficult to believe. We would never tell a customer "it happens and we don't care about." Did you receive an email from us with these words in it? If so, please forward that email to me at chris@northeastcoin.com. If you spoke with someone on the phone about the matter and recall whom it was you spoke with, please contact me via the same email address. Thank you.

Chris

Appreciated.

If you care just about the slabs and not the coins. But if you care about the coins, they are an excellent company to deal with.

This,

and...

Use goo gone rather than peeling off by hand.

This. Shouldn't someone who collects slabs know that peeling a sticker off these holograms is potentially a recipe for ruining what they're collecting? It would be like using a utility knife to remove tape residue from a coin.

and...

Use goo gone rather than peeling off by hand.

This. Shouldn't someone who collects slabs know that peeling a sticker off these holograms is potentially a recipe for ruining what they're collecting? It would be like using a utility knife to remove tape residue from a coin.

goo gone would not have helped me here, since it is NOT the tape residue that i had a problem with. the hologram was already stuck to the back of the sticker, and would have came off with it when removed, anyway.

goo gone i use when i remove the sticker and it comes off completely but leaves some of this sticky glue residue on the surface

Can't something like Goo Gone or another gentle solvent be used to help soften up the adhesive through the paper label? It would seem developing a safe way of removing stickers would be a good idea.

i actually sent them an email about this issue last night, they got back to me this morning and apologized saying they had a new employee who didn't know not to place a sticker on the hologram.

they also said they understood if i wanted to return the coins, but if i do keep them they will refund some of the buying price. so i do understand that mistakes happen, but at least they were nice enough to admit it.

Sounds like it just turned out to be an honest mistake! (thumbs u

Thanks.

I'm sure the TPG's consider them promotional slabs Mark, but you know how things can be turned in to collectible items. Who would have thought you could go to Disneyland, trade your money in for play money, and in turn those be worth more than you paid for them? lol

as long as they made it right :)

They did. And it's all good now. I would definitely buy from them again.

Maybe we have a "win-win" situation here. All appears to be good on your end and maybe the seller has learned a bit more about how/where to stick their dealer labels. I think this entire thread was a great one, a civil one, and perhaps one that will benefit many of us.

30 years ago as a kid, I used warm water to remove stamps from their envelope to put in my album. I wonder if this would work on slabs with stickers - I know they are not completely airtight, but do not think soaking in water for 5 minutes would be a problem - especially if you want the slab more than the coin (unless the entire halogram comes off with the sticker).

as long as they made it right :)

They did. And it's all good now. I would definitely buy from them again.

Maybe we have a "win-win" situation here. All appears to be good on your end and maybe the seller has learned a bit more about how/where to stick their dealer labels. I think this entire thread was a great one, a civil one, and perhaps one that will benefit many of us.

I'm sure he knows better than to do that. In his email he explained that they usually place the sticker lower on the slab, but he had a new employee in the shipping department that didn't know that and made a mistake. It's all good, and as I said, they were very professional about it, so I just let it go.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

I feel sorry for dealers who have to deal with people who vociferously complain about part of the hologram being covered over with a sticker that ends up removing part of the hologram. Collecting sample slabs and complaining about part of the hologram coming off indicates to me that you need to "get a life".

Try collecting coins and not slabs (just a suggestion!) might make you a happier camper.

And yes, you can collect anything you want, and yes everything is collectible, however what would you think about someone who collected fecal samples in little jars? Cat poop, bat poop, gnat poop....wanna see my collection? Uh, probably not.

Would I cross the street to see a collection of sample slabs? I'd probably want to see the poop collection first.

Now, these are just my opinions, feel free to attack me but be forewarned; I know algebra.