• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

- RANT -

44 posts in this topic

30 years ago as a kid, I used warm water to remove stamps from their envelope to put in my album. I wonder if this would work on slabs with stickers - I know they are not completely airtight, but do not think soaking in water for 5 minutes would be a problem - especially if you want the slab more than the coin (unless the entire halogram comes off with the sticker).

I bet a few drops of Goo Be Gone on the sticker and about 30 seconds of patience would allow the sticker to be removed without harming the precious hologram.

I think there was some missing of the point here. Of course, one should buy the coin and not the slab...but that it's slabbed is part of the value one buys. For the vendor to put a needless sticker where removal could impair the hologram is a sloppy thing to do. For the vendor to call out the complaint as 'hard to believe' seemed to me to support the whole presentation of a vendor who stuck stickers on bad spots and then dismissed concerns.

I'm glad the OP feels that the dealer has made it right, but all I've read leading up to this would discourage me from risking putting myself into that same situation. For example, I'm not seeing the public apology for calling the OP's credibility into question.

I think there was some missing of the point here. Of course, one should buy the coin and not the slab...but that it's slabbed is part of the value one buys. For the vendor to put a needless sticker where removal could impair the hologram is a sloppy thing to do. For the vendor to call out the complaint as 'hard to believe' seemed to me to support the whole presentation of a vendor who stuck stickers on bad spots and then dismissed concerns.

I'm glad the OP feels that the dealer has made it right, but all I've read leading up to this would discourage me from risking putting myself into that same situation. For example, I'm not seeing the public apology for calling the OP's credibility into question.

sorry, you mixed up my case with another case that was posted in one of the comments...

when i contacted the dealer, he helped right away and never said it was hard to believe, and he never called my credibility into question.

i couldn't ask for a more professional response from the seller , i was really satisfied with his professionalism and like i said, i will buy from him again

sorry, you mixed up my case with another case that was posted in one of the comments...

when i contacted the dealer, he helped right away and never said it was hard to believe, and he never called my credibility into question.

i couldn't ask for a more professional response from the seller , i was really satisfied with his professionalism and like i said, i will buy from him again

Oh. My mistake, then. Apologies and retractions to those affected.

I feel sorry for dealers who have to deal with people who vociferously complain about part of the hologram being covered over with a sticker that ends up removing part of the hologram. Collecting sample slabs and complaining about part of the hologram coming off indicates to me that you need to "get a life".

Try collecting coins and not slabs (just a suggestion!) might make you a happier camper.

And yes, you can collect anything you want, and yes everything is collectible, however what would you think about someone who collected fecal samples in little jars? Cat poop, bat poop, gnat poop....wanna see my collection? Uh, probably not.

Would I cross the street to see a collection of sample slabs? I'd probably want to see the poop collection first.

Now, these are just my opinions, feel free to attack me but be forewarned; I know algebra.

your comment is so messed up, i don't even know how to respond to it.. this is seriously ridiculous. so whoever collects sample slabs and wants the slabs to be in good condition "needs to get a life"? and how is my complain vociferous?

i just wonder if collecting sample slabs is really more idiotic than your idea you posted of putting GPS trackers into NGC slabs? and is it really as weird as collecting cat poop?

even if in this case i collected the coin only and not the slab, i would still want the slab's hologram to be full. would you be ok with someone keying your car all around and telling you "it's the engine that matters, why should you care about the paint job"?

Remember, all this is just my opinion. Don't take it personally or too seriously; it's not about you, it's about collecting sample slabs. I intend my comments to be taken in a spirit of friendliness; I'm not trying to bash YOU. I intend my comments to be positive; maybe our conversation will strengthen your understanding of why you collect sample slabs or maybe you will decide a better course is to be taken.

I was trying to communicate my belief that anyone who collects sample slabs needs to "get a life", which of course would include collectors of sample slabs who complain about holograms being damaged. (To "get a life" simply means to reconsider how they spend their time.)

In fact, it is my suspicion that most psychologists would use a particular phrase to describe sample slab collectors who complain about damaged holograms. To determine that phrase, (it is a proper medical term, but possibly somewhat offensive to persons unfamiliar with psychiatric terminology), use Google and search using this phrase with the quotation marks: "is used to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the ..." Check out the first search engine result.

By the way, I knew your hackles would get so raised that all punctuation and grammar would go out the window. I bet you take quite a lot of heat for collecting sample slabs and are really sick of hearing about it. That is why your trap is set and goes off with the least amount of stimulation.

I equate collecting sample slabs (a container for a coin) to collecting women's under garments (as an analogy, a container for a lady). I know that sounds kinda harsh but many coins are pretty and slabs are well, not pretty especially as compared to the coins.

Same thing for ladies. Many of them are pretty but the under garments that contain them are well, not so interesting (to me).

Here's a little path to enlightenment - I bet if you tell 100 people found at random that you collect holders that coins can come in, 99 if not 100 of them would ask you why AND even after you told them, they would think you're collecting tastes to be a little strange.

As far as my idea of putting some sort of tracking device in a holder to aid in tracking a thief as being as "idiotic" (you're word, not mine) as your collecting sample slabs, sure, maybe it was an idiotic idea. But, throwing that idea out there on a forum cost me nothing except about 1 minute and no money. How much time and money have you spent on collecting sample slabs? Do you sit down with your kids and go over sample slab history and its impact on American culture?

And, as far as your analogy of someone keying my car as compared to damaging your hologram, a better analogy would be someone not washing their hands and leaving a fingerprint on someone else's jar of gnat poop. What would you think of some poop collector complaining about someone leaving a fingerprint on one of his jars? Wouldn't you just nod in polite agreement while slowly backing out of the room?

As far as which is weirder, collecting poop or sample slabs, I got news for you. Not only are there collectors of poop, there are sub-specialties of poop collectors who specialize in celebrities. Do sample slab collectors even have a website or recognition by an international body?

Check out this link: http://en.illogicopedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Poop_Collectors

Now, I know this may make me look like I have an unusual amount of knowledge about poop collecting, but trust me, I just acquired this knowledge to talk to you about your interest in sample slabs. I do not, have never and never will collect poop of any kind.

But hey, if you find it rewarding to collect old coin holders, you go for it and hold your head up high! "SLAB COLLECTORS UNITE!"

(Again, I'm not trying to make fun of you; I'm just trying to make you think about what you collect. And, don't worry, I have done many dumb things, and things way, way, dumber than collecting sample slabs. Incidentally, I think collecting anything by die variety is almost as dumb as collecting sample slabs. People disagree with me all the time, feel free to join the crowd.)

Remember, all this is just my opinion. Don't take it personally or too seriously; it's not about you, it's about collecting sample slabs. I intend my comments to be taken in a spirit of friendliness; I'm not trying to bash YOU. I intend my comments to be positive; maybe our conversation will strengthen your understanding of why you collect sample slabs or maybe you will decide a better course is to be taken.

I. GIVE. UP

you crack me up so i guess it's not that bad

I was trying to communicate my belief that anyone who collects sample slabs needs to "get a life", which of course would include collectors of sample slabs who complain about holograms being damaged. (To "get a life" simply means to reconsider how they spend their time.)

In fact, it is my suspicion that most psychologists would use a particular phrase to describe sample slab collectors who complain about damaged holograms. To determine that phrase, (it is a proper medical term, but possibly somewhat offensive to persons unfamiliar with psychiatric terminology), use Google and search using this phrase with the quotation marks: "is used to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the ..." Check out the first search engine result.

Incidentally, I think collecting anything by die variety is almost as dumb as collecting sample slabs. People disagree with me all the time, feel free to join the crowd.)

so people who need to get a life, in your opinion, include:

- all that collect sample slabs

- people that pay a premium on a coin because of the holder it is in - Doily, Regency, Black NGC holders, NGC 2.0 & 2.1

- people who collect coins by die varieties, VAM's etc..

- all that collect women's lingerie

- poop collectors

what makes you think you spend your time better than they do?

By the way, I knew your hackles would get so raised that all punctuation and grammar would go out the window. I bet you take quite a lot of heat for collecting sample slabs and are really sick of hearing about it. That is why your trap is set and goes off with the least amount of stimulation.

actually, i don't. i made a few posts on collecting sample slabs in this forum, and if anything i got positive feedback from other sample collectors, people offering to buy my sample slabs, or people who did not collect samples but commented on how interesting it seemed to them.

the punctuation and grammar errors are probably due to the fact that English is not my first language, and i am not 100% fluent in it. I'm sorry if the post was not up to your standards. i'll try harder next time.

I equate collecting sample slabs (a container for a coin) to collecting women's under garments (as an analogy, a container for a lady). I know that sounds kinda harsh but many coins are pretty and slabs are well, not pretty especially as compared to the coins.

Same thing for ladies. Many of them are pretty but the under garments that contain them are well, not so interesting (to me).

in response to your little link about people collecting poop, here's one for you:

CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK

Here's a little path to enlightenment - I bet if you tell 100 people found at random that you collect holders that coins can come in, 99 if not 100 of them would ask you why AND even after you told them, they would think you're collecting tastes to be a little strange.

could not be wronger

As far as my idea of putting some sort of tracking device in a holder to aid in tracking a thief as being as "idiotic" (you're word, not mine) as your collecting sample slabs, sure, maybe it was an idiotic idea. But, throwing that idea out there on a forum cost me nothing except about 1 minute and no money. How much time and money have you spent on collecting sample slabs? Do you sit down with your kids and go over sample slab history and its impact on American culture?

what happened there? your raised hackles did that?

and the time and money i spent on my collection are well worth it to me (and apparently to other collectors as well, that offer to buy some of my slabs).

back to you, do you sit with YOUR kids and explain how a rainbow toned Morgan dollar had a bigger impact on American culture than a beat up scratched and damaged Morgan dollar? can you explain to me, using your logic and definitions from the previous post, how paying a 100x premium on a monster toned coin (you do that regularly, don't you) is different than paying a premium for a collectible slab?

And, as far as your analogy of someone keying my car as compared to damaging your hologram, a better analogy would be someone not washing their hands and leaving a fingerprint on someone else's jar of gnat poop. What would you think of some poop collector complaining about someone leaving a fingerprint on one of his jars? Wouldn't you just nod in polite agreement while slowly backing out of the room?

ok. maybe not the best analogy.

but answer the question:

would you, or would you not care if someone keyed/dented you car (the shield. the ugly container your beautiful engine came in)? isn't the engine the main thing you paid for, to take you from A to B?

As far as which is weirder, collecting poop or sample slabs, I got news for you. Not only are there collectors of poop, there are sub-specialties of poop collectors who specialize in celebrities. Do sample slab collectors even have a website or recognition by an international body?

Check out this link: http://en.illogicopedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_Poop_Collectors

Now, I know this may make me look like I have an unusual amount of knowledge about poop collecting, but trust me, I just acquired this knowledge to talk to you about your interest in sample slabs. I do not, have never and never will collect poop of any kind.

that does look a bit suspicious (:

But hey, if you find it rewarding to collect old coin holders, you go for it and hold your head up high! "SLAB COLLECTORS UNITE!"

not your worst idea :/

(By the way, I'm not trying to make fun of you; I'm just trying to make fun of what you collect. And, don't worry, I'm pretty sure I've done way more dumb things than you and I certainly have done things dumber than collecting sample slabs.

i certainly have.

and i'm also not attacking you, but your opinions.

GOOD TALK

I can understand where one who collects sample slabs would get upset if the hologram on the slab is messed up or even slightly damaged. With those pieces, the slab is pretty much the whole thing, because the coin inside usually does not amount to much. The coin is not much more than a space filler.

Collectors who get bent out of shape about the holograms on highly collectable and hard to find coins used to get my nerves when I was dealer. I can understand if it is an old NGC slab that has had the hologram stripped off completely. Some of those holograms came off very easily, and if it is missing completely, that can be ugly. But if the slab is only missing a tiny corner, yes, you are **** retentive.

To me bad scratches on a slab are a real source of aggravation. I've spent the money to have a few items re-holdered because of them, but the hologram? You've got be kidding.

I can understand where one who collects sample slabs would get upset if the hologram on the slab is messed up or even slightly damaged. With those pieces, the slab is pretty much the whole thing, because the coin inside usually does not amount to much. The coin is not much more than a space filler.

Collectors who get bent out of shape about the holograms on highly collectable and hard to find coins used to get my nerves when I was dealer. I can understand if it is an old NGC slab that has had the hologram stripped off completely. Some of those holograms came off very easily, and if it is missing completely, that can be ugly. But if the slab is only missing a tiny corner, yes, you are **** retentive.

To me bad scratches on a slab are a real source of aggravation. I've spent the money to have a few items re-holdered because of them, but the hologram? You've got be kidding.

i just want to make it clear that i was only upset because it was a sample slab, and i would not have complained if it was just a normal slab with a ripped hologram.

OK, good; you're not mad at me! Thanks!

Since you took it all in the spirit it was intended for, I'll answer your question about keying my car.

Yes, if someone keyed my car and argued that the motor is important, I would not be assauged.

Congrats on your English. I don't know what your first language is, but your English is way better than my second language of Spanish.

Anyway, I started a thread on starting a sample slab collectors group. If you're really into it, go for it.

Anyway, thanks for the link to the pantie fetish site. One eye won't stop watering.

By the way, are you familiar with this website: http://www.sampleslabs.com/

Unfortunately, Cameron Kiefer, the fellow who created that site, took his own life several years ago. He was a police officer, a former coin grader and sample slab collector (and a really great guy) in Colorado. I don't know anyone who didn't really like him.

Lastly, yes, if I collected sample slabs, and one I bought had a sticker over the hologram that messed it up when I took it off, I would not be happy. But, after reading my implorement to you to not collect sample slabs, I would stop collecting them. Try simply aesthetically pleasing coins regardless of national origin. Stay away from die varieties.

Post-lastly, next time you order a sample slab with a delicate hologram, why don't you call the seller and tell them to not put any stickers or tape on it or do anything else to bugger the hologram.

Anyways, thanks for the conversation. Enjoy your collecting, whatever it be.

Adrian

thanks, it is all in good spirit.

i am familiar with cameron's website. i wonder what he would have to say if you brought this subject up to him before he passed and told him he should stop collecting these samples and get a life (shrug)

i would definitely advise sellers of sample slabs to not place a sticker over the hologram on the slab, i just didn't think to do that before this last purchase. i now know better.

i find your post about starting a collectors society for sample collectors sarcastic, but not everyone that commented on it read your comments here, so they might think you are serious.

would you mind commenting on this:

Originally Posted By: therealanaconda

Do you sit down with your kids and go over sample slab history and its impact on American culture?

back to you, do you sit with YOUR kids and explain how a rainbow toned Morgan dollar had a bigger impact on American culture than a beat up scratched and damaged Morgan dollar? can you explain to me, using your logic and definitions from the previous post, how paying a 100x premium on a monster toned coin (you do that regularly, don't you) is different than paying a premium for a collectible slab?

Use goo gone rather than peeling off by hand.

Might or might not help. This type of hologram can sometimes be damaged by goo gone as well. , Especially with the extended soaking needed to dissolve the sticker adhesive through the label.

cause you can buy a coin for $50, but if it was slabbed in a 1st gen. black NGC holder you will be paying $1000 (some collectors will be paying $1,000) for it.

Try $4,000.

use Google and search using this phrase ("get a life") with the quotation marks: "is used to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the ..."

You know that could also apply to coin collectors in general. How many of us have had friends, family etc have their eyes glaze over when we start discussing coins? :)

Incidentally, I think collecting anything by die variety is almost as dumb as collecting sample slabs.

Arrgg, two of my collecting fields insulted in one sentence. :)

Do sample slab collectors even have a website or recognition by an international body?

Sample slab collectors no, but sample slabs have a website, there have been articles published about them in major numismatic publications, a section in a book, and there is a active body of sample slab collectors.