• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878S 64PL?

11 posts in this topic

Submission going out tomorrow, this is one of them. The fields are that of other PL pieces that I own. This date n MM is common for having a PL obverse and semi PL reverse. The reverse isn't as deep but I can clearly read text from 6" away +or-. Up to the graders now.

c45f28c5-feb0-4dfb-b3de-5d0494540046_zpsee52ee6e.jpg

Hard to see PL from the pics (I'll take your word for it) 64 looks about right. (thumbs u

You know how they like to give a * when only one side is PL or DPL...maybe 64* if the reverse isn't quite PL.

Good Luck!

There is a lot of chatter in the field and on the cheek. It may max out at 64, but I like it better as a 63+.

Your pictures don't make the reverse look strong enough for a PL. The obverse mirrors look nice though.

As always from the pics. This is a "tweener", the Obverse and Reverse devices look frosty enough for PL but the peripheries do not. The semi-mirror quality of the fields magnify field hits. Hits in focal areas make a MS66 a MS65.

Carl

As always from the pics. This is a "tweener", the Obverse and Reverse devices look frosty enough for PL but the peripheries do not. The semi-mirror quality of the fields magnify field hits. Hits in focal areas make a MS66 a MS65.

Carl

The frostiness of the devices is irrelevant to the determination of whether NGC or PCGS will give the coin the PL designation; the only thing that matters is the depth of the mirrors. Based on his written description of the mirrors on the reverse and the obverse, I think it will make PL based on the reflectivity. I agree with the other posters that the reverse images alone (without the written description) would have left the designation up in the air.