• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting my final reward for having a 2012 Best Presented Registry Set.

8 posts in this topic

My thanks to NGC for the five Deluxe Photo Proofs!

On January 12, 2013, I received a Best Presented Set award for my US/Philippines One Centavo set. In addition to recognition in the registry and a nice wooden wall plaque, I also received a coupon for my choice of NGC Coin Imaging Services for five NGC certified coins. One can choose from either NGC Photo Vision Coin Imaging (http://www.ngccoin.com/imaging-services/photo-vision.aspx) or NGC PHOTO PROOF Coin Imaging (http://www.ngccoin.com/imaging-services/photo-proof.aspx). Photo Vision Coin Imaging is available for any NGC graded coin at a cost $15 per coin, whereas PHOTO PROOF Coin Imaging is limited to nearly all US coinage and select Canadian and British coinage at a cost of $65 per coin.

Fortunately, US/Philippine coinage from 1903--1945 falls into the set of coins eligible for PHOTO PROOF Imaging, so that was my choice. My coupon covered the substantial $325 imaging fee, but the cost of shipping and insurance for the round trip to NGC was on me. It took a while to decide if I wanted to foot the bill for shipping and insurance, and once past that decision, even longer to decide which coins to send. I finally narrowed it down to four coins and one medal that are distinctive in some way and are also most representative of my US/Philippines collection. My choices were:

- 1931-M One Centavo graded MS66RD (NGC population 1/0)

- 1938-M One Centavo graded MS65RB (Allen-3.02a - RPD variety and exceptional strike)

- 1945-D Ten Centavos, Doubled Die #1 graded MS63 (Allen-9.05b - NGC population 1/0)

- 1907-S Twenty Centavos graded MS64 (NGC population 4/0)

- 1920 Wilson / Manila Mint Opening Silver So-Called Dollar graded MS62.

All except the 1931-M were purchased raw and self submitted to NGC. Of the five pieces, the 1920 is probably the least worthy of being immortalized in a Photo Proof, but it is one of my personal favorites.

My coins arrived at NGC on July 22nd and were back in my hands on August 5th along with my five new Photo Proof brochures. I was expecting a longer turnaround time, but pleased that they came back so quickly.

The Photo Proof brochure is a laminated 8.5" x 11" bifold presentation piece and is impressive in both color and content. The brochure contains 7 pictures of the coin, a lengthy description of the entire US/Philippine series, and a detailed description of the specific coin. There is a picture of the front of the holder on the cover, and inside are large pictures of each side, a detail image from each side and an "actual size" photo of each side. The images are beautiful as you would expect, however the "actual size" photos seem slightly smaller than actual size. David Lange's descriptions are excellent and it's nice to have written opinions from a well respected numismatist and expert in this area about each of these coins. All five are good, but I am particularly pleased with the one for the 1938-M One Centavo. It provides written recognition of the ALLEN-3.02a variety even though NGC does not provide for this recognition on the holder label as a variety plus designation.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Photo Proof brochures and the very quick turnaround, but at $65 each, I probably won't have any more done unless I win another registry award.

I leave you with a picture of the five Photo Proof brochures.

14152.JPG

See more journals by coin928

Once again, congratulations on such a fine set! When I read your post, it brought back fond memories of the two sets I have received awards for. In fact, so much so that I hauled out my photoproofs to take trip down memory lane and re-read all the detailed descriptions. I agree that photoproofing is an outstanding service that is worth the money. Unfortunately, like you I don't have $65 to spend to get more of my coins photoproofed. Enjoy your photoproofs, they are well deserved.

All the best.

Gary

Hi,

I just read your journal which lead me to your one centavo set; very nice! But in case your ears are burning it's my fault; or more like my wife's fault due to her nasty words about your photo proofs. I must have a few of those, at least for my favorite coins. If they look anywhere close as good as your pics WOW. At $65 each it may have to wait as a Christmas gift or most definitely after my wife passes or divorces me whichever comes first.

Congrats on your 1)fine set, 2)awesome pics and 3)well deserved award!

Have a good weekend,

David, #

The proof photo's look absolutely wonderful. Just another great opportunity available to us as members here!!! The sky's always the limit or is there more higher levels later on ??? HeHe :)

Rick

Hi,

I just read your journal which lead me to your one centavo set; very nice! But in case your ears are burning it's my fault; or more like my wife's fault due to her nasty words about your photo proofs. I must have a few of those, at least for my favorite coins. If they look anywhere close as good as your pics WOW.

David, #

David, It's so simple. Send your 1879 mint set in for photo's and send the wife in for hair do, nails ,new dress. and a great restaurant dinner. Just be sure the pic of your wife in the office is larger than the wall hanging of the set photo when you have it blown up and hang it next to her pic. :)

Rick

That's my first look at a Photo Proof. Very impressive - but I'm like the rest of you $65 would be for a pretty special coin. I couldn't afford too many of these.

Todd

Hi,

I just read your journal which lead me to your one centavo set; very nice! But in case your ears are burning it's my fault; or more like my wife's fault due to her nasty words about your photo proofs. I must have a few of those, at least for my favorite coins. If they look anywhere close as good as your pics WOW.

David, #

David, It's so simple. Send your 1879 mint set in for photo's and send the wife in for hair do, nails ,new dress. and a great restaurant dinner. Just be sure the pic of your wife in the office is larger than the wall hanging of the set photo when you have it blown up and hang it next to her pic. :)

Rick

Rick,

Can I have them mailed to your house and pick them up while she's asleep?