• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a fake 89CC looks like.

15 posts in this topic

Help us with the diagnostics of the counterfeit please.

Forget about diagnostics/specifics and focus on the big picture - look at Liberty's portrait and the eagle and its wings. ;)

<<Help us with the diagnostics of the counterfeit please>>

Don't want to say to much, as the counterfeiters may be reading this. Just compare any average circulated Morgan to this one, you'll see it. The obverse is painfully obvious.

That is a fake ANACS slab as well, and not a real good one. It is a fake of an earlier generation than the ones that showed up back in March of 2007.

Forget about diagnostics/specifics and focus on the big picture - look at Liberty's portrait and the eagle and its wings. ;)

One fundamental way to learn to detect counterfeits is imprint in your mind what the real coin looks like. Many counterfeiters don't get that right. They might get the details wrong, and if they the details right, the relief will be off, as it is on the obverse of this piece. On many counterfeits the letting is not clear and crisp as it is on genuine coins.

Beyond that you need to use at least a 10X glass that provides with views of minor imperfections that usually appear on counterfeit coins. When counterfeiters use a genuine coin to reproduce their dies, there are always imperfections that they either leave on their copy device or attempt to tool off their appliance. Either way it will leave a mark.

Very often the counterfeit detection guides point out these imperfections. That's nice as far as it goes, but remembering all of that stuff for every date is impossible, and where there is one counterfeit variety there are undoubtedly more. The science of counterfeit detection involves the application of concepts combined with basic knowledge.

Those tool sets are not easily acquired, which why only a few numismatists are really good at counterfeit detection. I consider myself to be only a bit better than average among those who can spot counterfeits. I am not a super star at it.

The nose, lips and chin seem to look funny to me, they stick out to far.

The ANACS number is for this coin but it is the first one I have seen with the printing crooked, first counterfeit slab I have seen.

that works for me as well as the lips and nose on the obverse. pick where you want to start with this. good catch ;)

This. To anyone who is familiar and collects the series, this should jump out in 2 seconds as an obvious counterfeit for the reasons pointed out above.

<<Help us with the diagnostics of the counterfeit please>>

Don't want to say to much, as the counterfeiters may be reading this. Just compare any average circulated Morgan to this one, you'll see it. The obverse is painfully obvious.

We wouldn't be telling them anything that they couldn't figure out themselves by looking at an original coin and spending more than a couple of seconds inspecting it. This isn't one of the "quality" pieces that would fool a decent number who only take a cursory glance at it.