• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

West Point SAE Set....Very Disappointed with NGC!! posted by NAS Fallon Firefighter

23 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Slabs are horrible!

Hi,

I just received my West Point Eagle Set from MCM and I have to say that the encapsulation of these two coins is absolutely horrible and sub-standard from what I have come to expect from NGC.

From the photos I have attached, you can see all the smudge marks that are located on the INSIDE of the holder on the clear plastic. What the photo does not show is the smudge marks on the retro black. The whole mess was quite visible as soon it was in my hand and stands out quite a lot in the light.

I know it is really not MCM fault but they could of done some better quality control on their part and sent them back to NGC to fix the problem. I have decided though to keep the coins and send them to NGC...with a few other coins...to be re holdered. And I will not be going with the retro black either! Hopefully the results will be better the next around.

Take care and enjoy them coins!

Jeffrey

14100.JPG

See more journals by NAS Fallon Firefighter

Really looks bad... thanks for sharing... will you be asking for reimbursement, too? I am still learning the ins and outs of rejected quality work from NGC and other TPG companies.

Semper Fi !

Jack

very unprofessional.... Hey Jeffrey how ya doing ? Wow that is really unacceptable in my book. I would think NGC will re-holder them when they see the "smudges" are inside :o I would hope so anyway.

Keep everyone posted on the outcome if you would.

Mike

I would inquire if the smudges could contain any oils that might cause premature "toning" or other discoloration of your coin. It appears the someone may have handled your coin and holder without gloves. You shouldn't have to take the hit for NGC's mishandling. (I'd make a stink!)

Jeffrey,

Call them up, they will re-holder the coins. Must have been right after lunch and the new hired help didn't wash their hands. They need to be aware of the problem or it will continue!!

Did you get all 70's ?

Rick

Slabs are horrible!

Hi,

I just received my West Point Eagle Set from MCM and I have to say that the encapsulation of these two coins is absolutely horrible and sub-standard from what I have come to expect from NGC.

From the photos I have attached, you can see all the smudge marks that are located on the INSIDE of the holder on the clear plastic. What the photo does not show is the smudge marks on the retro black. The whole mess was quite visible as soon it was in my hand and stands out quite a lot in the light.

I know it is really not MCM fault but they could of done some better quality control on their part and sent them back to NGC to fix the problem. I have decided though to keep the coins and send them to NGC...with a few other coins...to be re holdered. And I will not be going with the retro black either! Hopefully the results will be better the next around.

Take care and enjoy them coins!

Jeffrey

14100.JPG

See more journals by NAS Fallon Firefighter

It is your own fault for even getting involved with that garbage. "70" graded modern bullion coins by NGC/PCGS are MARKETING ITEMS, not coins or numismatics items. You just spent a boat-load of money for a piece of plastic with some irrelevant inking on it. The "coin" inside is worth on its' bullion value. Stop wasting your time and money and you won't have to whine like this on the chat boards. COLLECT REAL COINS PEOPLE!!! It's like talking to a brick wall though...

Jeffrey,

Call them up, they will re-holder the coins. Must have been right after lunch and the new hired help didn't wash their hands. They need to be aware of the problem or it will continue!!

Did you get all 70's ?

Rick

I thought I'd find you here sir... Ahhh the never ending complaints of the 70 seekers... Remember, THE HOUSE ALWAYS WINS!!

MW-

Big talk from someone with 0 points and no collections!

I would never waste my time with "points" or worthless registry set collections... Such are not numismatics, it is marketing for suckers. Clueless!

• Administrator

Jeffrey,

Please send these two coins to my attention and I will make sure that this is fixed and you are reimbursed for your shipping expense. If there is any damage to the coins I will either find you replacements or compensate you for their value.

I am really surprised that there would be smudges inside of the holder and of course would like to figure out how this happened.

Regards,

Max Spiegel

@MW - Sorry for being confused, but I thought the whole point of collecting was to conserve coins. If doing so means collecting "bullion" coins while they are new and pristine, before the world has had a chance to knock them around, then so be it. After all, aren't today's "real coins" (your term) the same coins that were once worth no more than their bullion or face value? Even the most desirable Morgan dollar, for example, was just a buck back in its day.

In my opinion, collecting today's bullion coins is like going back in time and saving the very best coins available while they were at their peak of perfection. The only difference is that it is the present, not the past ... but it doesn't matter, I still feel like a kid in a candy store.

I won't be the one to realize the ultimate value of my coins, but someone will, and I collect for the view through that person's eyes. YMMV.

Well said DSAngal.... As my old man used to say... "if you have a negative thought...keep it to yourself cause chances are; you do not really know what you are talking about."

Semper Fi !

Jack

@ MW How dare you tell me or anyone else what coins to collect. I collect current mint and proof sets 1959 - present. These are the coins I enjoy and by looking through the sets here at NGC I'm not alone by a long shot. So collect the coins you like and keep your opinion to yourself please.

Happy Collecting and may God Bless.....Mike

MW What do you stand to gain from making hurtful comments. You are the one with the problem.

If you believe this will draw traffic to your coin store then you are sadly mistaken. You are not making any friends with your comments.

People have clearly pointed out that your presence here is not nessessary nor wanted. Every single comment you have made has just been derision.

Sharing an opinion is fine but you should think before you speak, er type. :banana:

Jeffrey,

Please send these two coins to my attention and I will make sure that this is fixed and you are reimbursed for your shipping expense. If there is any damage to the coins I will either find you replacements or compensate you for their value.

I am really surprised that there would be smudges inside of the holder and of course would like to figure out how this happened.

Regards,

Max Spiegel

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Stand Up Guy representing a Stand Up Company!

Glad I sent my last two coins to Sarasota.. :grin:

"Slabs are horrible!"

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of slabbing coins either.

But, the company is backing its product...which is excellent

MW,

Sir, you stated your case on your previous post and everyone is free to digest your point of view.

As has always been the case, each collector is free to make independent collecting decisions based upon their own research, due diligence, market savvy, financial budget etc.

It is quite unnecessary (and bad form) to post in such a disrespectful manner. Varying opinions are welcomed on this board and always will be, I hope any future postings are expressed in a much more constructive manner

Rich

Thanks everybody for the comments...good and bad.

It is quite obvious who are the outstanding members of this community. We may not always agree on opinions but we do respect each other and respect the coins we choose to collect.

It has never crossed my mind to mock what others collect and it caught me quite off guard when it happened to me. And believe me, I did want to lower myself and respond with a few choice words but decided on taking the higher road and let it slide..

I will be contacting Mr. Spiegel shortly and I will keep everybody informed on the out come with the SAEs.

Jeffrey

Wow. Glad I don't shave MW's face (or legs, as the case may be) in my mirror. It's difficult to imagine intentionally spending every waking hour being miserable. Must be exhausting.

Beijim

MW What do you stand to gain from making hurtful comments. You are the one with the problem.

If you believe this will draw traffic to your coin store then you are sadly mistaken. You are not making any friends with your comments.

People have clearly pointed out that your presence here is not nessessary nor wanted. Every single comment you have made has just been derision.

Sharing an opinion is fine but you should think before you speak, er type. :banana:

Just read what everyone wrote... Who in the hell is this JERK !!!! What coin store does he have ???

Mike