• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 peace dollar .. GTG? NEW PICS POSTED IN LAST COMMENT!

44 posts in this topic

Big difference in the new pics for sure but the rev kills it for me and I would not grade it better than a 63 myself. This imo (thats for you Mark) is market graded up for the color as another poster mentioned

I know it's my coin and I might not be very subjective, but I find it hard to believe PCGS bumped up the grade by 1.5 points for the color. The color is nice, but it's not a monster toner or THAT spectacular. I don't think it played a big role, if any, in the grade assigned.

I can see how nice color would bump a grade from 63+ to 64, or maybe even from 63 to 64.. But from 63 to 64+? That seems unlikely.. Just saying.

I got a good deal on it so I'm happy with the purchase anyways.

Thanks for all the guesses

Well, we are grading pictures, while you're grading the coin. So, so much for that.

The issue aside, I wouldn't let it get out of that slab. ATS, they're believers in those slabs.

so much for what? My comment had nothing to do with having the coin in hand as opposed to looking at pics..

I just said that the color (which is displayed accurately in the pics) is not "special" enough to bump the grade up 1 full point, let alone 1.5 points - so I didn't think it played a big role in the grading of this coin. That was all I said...

Nobody has even mentioned the grand canyon dug into the rim just above the eagle's head that would absolutely kill it for me

I don't understand why that wasn't cleaned up with PhotoScape as well?

Nobody has even mentioned the grand canyon dug into the rim just above the eagle's head that would absolutely kill it for me

It was mentioned even before I posted the new pics.

Due to the size of this thing, it's hard to believe the pcgs graders and the quality control all missed this mark, seeing it in hand and under magnification. If it was some kind of post mint damage I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make it into a problem-free slab..

I know mistakes happen, but if it can be spotted from the seller's bad pics, I bet they saw it and examined it up close at PCGS, and they didn't BB the coin

I don't understand why that wasn't cleaned up with PhotoScape as well?

lol

I posted pics for grading opinions, why would I edit te surfaces of the coin on the photo?

If there was a wink in your comment, I definitely missed it

I never said that YOU edited it. You said you sent it to someone else to have it photographed. The person who took the photo used PhotoScape. There is no disputing that since it is embedded in the exiff data. ;)

I never said that YOU edited it. You said you sent it to someone else to have it photographed. The person who took the photo used PhotoScape. There is no disputing that since it is embedded in the exiff data. ;)

No I understand that.

I just didn't understand your question as to why they didn't clean that gash up with photoscape lol

I would be mad if that was cleaned off the coin's pic. I want the pics to be as accurate as possible, and that they are. Couldn't ask for a better pic.

Big difference in the new pics for sure but the rev kills it for me and I would not grade it better than a 63 myself. This imo (thats for you Mark) is market graded up for the color as another poster mentioned

I know it's my coin and I might not be very subjective, but I find it hard to believe PCGS bumped up the grade by 1.5 points for the color. The color is nice, but it's not a monster toner or THAT spectacular. I don't think it played a big role, if any, in the grade assigned.

I can see how nice color would bump a grade from 63+ to 64, or maybe even from 63 to 64.. But from 63 to 64+? That seems unlikely.. Just saying.

Well, we are grading pictures, while you're grading the coin. So, so much for that.

The issue aside, I wouldn't let it get out of that slab. ATS, they're believers in those slabs.

so much for what? My comment had nothing to do with having the coin in hand as opposed to looking at pics..

I just said that the color (which is displayed accurately in the pics) is not "special" enough to bump the grade up 1 full point, let alone 1.5 points - so I didn't think it played a big role in the grading of this coin. That was all I said...

You have the opportunity to know better than we. That's all I'm saying. Oh, and keep the coin in that slab. Where it's nice and safe at that grade, lol.

You have the opportunity to know better than we. That's all I'm saying. Oh, and keep the coin in that slab. Where it's nice and safe at that grade, lol.

I see no reason to take it out of the holder.. i'm happy with the grade.

it's not even a coin from my collection. just one of the coins i'm selling on ebay

As struck ;)

edited to add I am just kidding

It probably is as-struck. Looks like a classic planchet defect.

Interesting, please explain why you believe the reverse rim gap is a plancet defect. I see Obverse die breaks on the lower neck and through the date, but I don't see any evidence of a defective plancet. What am I missing?

Carl

It is planchet crack. NGC grades these all the time.

Here is a more severe one, imagen courtesy of Heritage:

1922_%25241_Peace_Dollar--Cracked_Planchet_AU55_NGC._Obverse_closeup.jpg

it's not even a coin from my collection. just one of the coins i'm selling on ebay

Why isn't it offered on their BST? I'm just curious.

Strictly-speaking, is that different from a lamination? If it's a weakness in the planchet due to impure or improper alloy, I just call that a lamination. .

Why isn't it offered on their BST? I'm just curious.

i don't really use the PCGS forums. i rarely post there (i just lurk), and never sold a single coin there. so i don't know if members there would feel comfortable buying from me..

i've done some business with members here on the NGC forums, that's why i listed those coins on the Money MarketPlace with a discount offer.

As struck ;)

Interesting, please explain why you believe the reverse rim gap is a plancet defect. I see Obverse die breaks on the lower neck and through the date, but I don't see any evidence of a defective plancet. What am I missing?

Carl

Thanks for taking the time to post a picture of a coin with a cracked plancet, but posting a picture of a coin with a cracked plancet doesn't answer my question concerning the OP s coin. That being, what about the reverse rim gap leads you to the conclusion that the rim gap is a plancet crack? Just want to know what you see in the OP s coin that leads you to your conclusion of a plancet crack.

I see die cracks on the Obverse side. Neck and Date. Why couldn't the rim gap and weakness in the letters to either side of the rim gap, be indicative of a deteriorating die?

Carl

As struck ;)

Carl

Thanks for taking the time to post a picture of a coin with a cracked plancet, but posting a picture of a coin with a cracked plancet doesn't answer my question concerning the OP s coin. That being, what about the reverse rim gap leads you to the conclusion that the rim gap is a plancet crack? Just want to know what you see in the OP s coin that leads you to your conclusion of a plancet crack.

I see die cracks on the Obverse side. Neck and Date. Why couldn't the rim gap and weakness in the letters to either side of the rim gap, be indicative of a deteriorating die?

Carl

I understand the obverse has die cracks. That happened frequently on Peace Dollars. That doesn't mean that the the planchet couldn't have also had a defect. Deteriorating dies do not explain the crevice in the rim. Unless the collar was damaged in such a way that the metal flow near the rim was prevented from going outward, then this is an obvious planchet defect.

Don't believe me?

Check out this auction. A nearly identical crack.

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=28123&lotNo=23588#Photo

Notice how it's rim is also distorted on the opposite side?

Kinda like the blakesley effect for cracked planchets.