• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing 8s

6 posts in this topic

My custom set has more than 500 views!

Thanks to all of you that have viewed my custom set "Amazing 8s -- Charles III Portrait 8 Reales 1772-1791".

The special thing about a custom set is that it's uniquely your own. For my set I selected 20 coins from my collection of 8 reales, one for each year of issue that featured the bust of Charles III (some posthumously) and made sure to choose examples from a variety of mints.

I did some research and tried to include a few interesting facts about this monarch's reign among my comments. History shows that Charles III was the last great King of Spain -- his economic policies fostered an expansion of trade that encouraged the Spanish colonies to vastly increase the minting of these coins. His successor, Charles IV, neglected the administration of the Empire and was eventually forced to abdicate his throne, first to his son Ferdinand VII and then again to Napoleon Bonaparte.

Curating this set was a fun learning experience. Please take a look if you haven't seen it yet.

coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=3785

I'll leave you with a composite photograph of the first coin in my set and its comment text.

"First year of the portrait design on Spanish silver coins. This example is from the Mexico City mint. Both the mint mark and assayer initials are inverted and this coin is the rare variety where the initials have been transposed from "FM" to "MF" From the April/May 2012 Heritage auction, Chicago, lot #25106. KM-106.1."

14018.jpg

See more journals by jgenn

Really nice! Excellent on the reverse FM.

I thought you were just a casual Spanish collector when we were discussing this subject a while back. I did not realize that you were into the 8 Reals as you are .... Bravo!.. (thumbs u

I gotta hand it to you, those "8's" are amazing and you are right about custom sets in that they can be anything you want them to be. I liken them to the educational displays at coin shows except that they are virtual and can be viewed worldwide at any time!

All the best.

Gary

Congrats jgenn! I'm one of those 500 views......your set is very cool! I love the Custom Registry.....there are so many excellent and interesting sets on there. It's arguably the most interesting part of the whole Registry. I just hope that someday my Custom Sets receive the attention that yours has. Kudos!

Nice set, Jack! I have enjoyed looking through it and think it's a good approach to narrowing down your focus in this vast series.

The 1772-MF is a tough variety. I spent a bit of time tracking down the two that were certified by PCGS just to realize both were misattributed 1772-FM's. After sharing my research with the folks across the street, the pop report was updated, making it now a pop 0 coin. I remember when your coin came up for auction on Heritage, but I was spread thin between a number of other coins and decided not to bid. Congratulations on adding it to your collection!

Looking forward to seeing new pieces of eight added to your sets!

P.S. if you ever decide to part with that Norweb 1789 transitional piece - let me know :)

~Roman (2K)