• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp: the prize of my Anglo-Saxon collection

8 posts in this topic

I'm just going to post the (seller's) picture here, and let the audience try for a bit to determine what this coin actually is. It's one I've wanted for a very long time, graded aEF/EF by the seller, and whose portrait should be revered by every Anglophile historian.

I paid a kingly sum for this coin, spread out over several months, and this piece is quite handsome in hand. Seriously, folks, this is what coin collecting is all about: like every American kid wanting a nice SVDB or a Morgan buff wanting a nice 93-S.

England%20Alfred%20S-1057A.jpg

Thanks guys. This piece is S-1057A, and is scarcer than the S-1057. They differ by virtue of the lunette (the S-1057A is stylized after Burgred of Mercia).

From the seller:

LONDON, Lunettes coinage (871-c.877). +DMON/BIARNRE/ETE . Lyons and MacKay (BNJ 2008) recorded 33 examples of this type with 4 noted for Biarnred out of 197 surviving Alfred lunettes pennies.

Ex:- Croydon Hoard, 1862, listed by Blunt and Dolly 1959; Marsham Townsend, Sotheby November 19th 1888; Carlyon Britton, Sotheby November 17th 1913; SNC March 1914; SNC March 1916; SNC July 1921; H.A.Parsons Glens 11-13 May 1954; Morrison aquired 1984.

I have paid a kingly sum for a few rare coins over the years but it's always worked out to be a good decision.

My wife may not agree. :whistle: