• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seriously, Is This a Genuine or a Fake 1804 Silver Dollar?!

53 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I get mad every time I see those pictures. :mad:

Thanks for some very enlightening pictures.  Just amazing the length a crook will go to.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:14 AM, rrantique said:
On 8/27/2018 at 11:44 AM, Adventureneverstops said:

Hi Bob, can you please explain why? 

Thx.

Here is a very good reason.

That isn't a reason for why his coin isn't real.  It just shows that there are dies out there for making counterfeits.  And by the way, his coin did NOT come from that counterfeiter or from any of those dies.  Those fake dies are MUCH better than the ones that made his piece.

Today a former coworker came by with one of these “fake” 1804 dollars that looks exactly like the one the posted here. He had called a couple weeks ago and told me of his metal detecting find, dug up next to an old oak tree. I of course went to the internet to pull up pics of the 1804 dollar. First thing I noticed was the space between the bust and rim. I knew it was to good to be true. Good thing though; because he had cleaned the coin in some fashion, for which I also informed him was a “no no” for coins. Does anyone have price guide for fake dollars? LOL Just kidding people.

Edited by kennyj

51 minutes ago, ale5254 said:

someone please help i have a coin that says its 1804 dollar coin . i have done the magnet and it did not stick . i also did the ice test. could this be a fake also how can i tell.

Welcome to the forum. You could start by posting clear pictures of the front and back of the coin. If you read this thread from the beginning, though, you will see that it is very unlikely that your coin is anything more than a souvenir, fantasy piece, or counterfeit. But, if you would like, we will be glad to take a look at your pictures and offer opinions.

It took me about one second to see the poor quality of the imitation coin you have. The images on both sides are incorrect in size, there is terrible shaping and spacing on the lettering. There is no real layout or spacing of the stars on both sides, and the size and shape of the stars is not consistent throughout the obverse. The date is misshapen and in the incorrect position. The overall details are horrible. The clouds on the reverse side do not span the coin the way they should, and have no detail other than "blobs" of metal. The denticles are misshaped and uneven. The claws of the eagle have zero detail and look like they were drawn by a first grader. The banner is uneven, does not span the reverse properly, and the lettering of E Pluribus Unum is also not of consistent size. 

This is one of the poorest examples of an attempt to mislead I possibly have ever seen.

38 minutes ago, Strydertrx said:

Hey i have one of those 1804 coins but the strange thing is its not magnetic and i think its actually silver. Could it be a fake made out of real silver? Would like to know

Welcome to the forum. Your coin could easily be made out of an alloy that contains silver. It could even be pure silver, for that matter.  It is extremely unlikely, however, that it is a real 1804  dollar,  regardless of the metal content.

2 hours ago, Strydertrx said:

Hey i have one of those 1804 coins but the strange thing is its not magnetic and i think its actually silver. Could it be a fake made out of real silver? Would like to know

It's actually extremely likely that a fake could be made of silver.  In my time, I've seen fakes of 1804 dollars made of many different alloys.....pewter and other white metals, one that may have been lead and, yes, silver.  It is also extremely unlikely that you have a genuine 1804 dollar.  There are only about 15 known, and I believe that all of those are presently accounted for.  There are tons of fake 1804 dollars out there. Unless you spend over $1 million USD at a high end auction to get your coin, you can bet that it's a fake.

On 6/27/2013 at 9:28 AM, BillJones said:

I don't own an 1804 dollar ( :o NOT), but here is an 1802 which is the same general type. The piece you posted in your photo only resembles the real thing.

Although I'm a foreign collector I used to watch 'early type US' in the hopes of getting some some day.  Unfortunately US keeps getting more expensive so I think I'll stay in foreign forever.   I'm going to guess the 1802 dollar is an ms-62, only because of the small nick on the reverse shield. Otherwise it'd be a 63.  How far off am I?

12 hours ago, BillJones said:

That 1802 dollar is graded AU-58 by PCGS, I think that is the correct grade.

That's a really nice one for the grade.  However it's also hard to grade just by looking at photos.  This pix doesn't show any wear on high points on the Bust and nice original surfaces.  However these details can change just by changing the lighting during photography.  Still a very attractive coin.

The 1802 dollar has a slight rub on the high points of the design. The main fault that some collectors might have with it is dark toning. I can’t see any aspect of the piece that would me to believe that it has been dipped or cleaned.

2 hours ago, Jared Harden said:

It doesn't stick to a magnet so i think its at least silver

While it is true that a magnet doesn't stick to silver, they also don't stick to aluminum, tin, zinc platinum, paladium, lead, magnesium, manganese, antimony, hafinium, ruthfordium, Vandinium, and quite a few other metals,  What they do stick to is iron, nickel (pure), and in certain cases Cobalt.

On 6/27/2013 at 8:33 AM, ysna-migration said:

from an old Armenian lady in his neighbourhood who claimed that it is a heritage of his father's father who was a christen priest of Iranian origin living in Western Iran, he decided to move to US about 150 years ago and came back to Iran after years of struggle

Every WORD of that story just oozes "FAKE" to me.

3 hours ago, Ranji said:

Hello, please help me to find fake/_  weight is 26.54 and diamtere and thickness is same as original, but I am worry about small lump on middle star on eagle side. Thankyou

Fake. Took me less than a minute, and I'm far from an expert on counterfeits.