• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1880/79 cc GSA

4 posts in this topic

Dear Ali,

I know as a rule NGC normally doesn't allow mint errors in the registry sets or even give them a numerical grade but I recently bought a S$1 1880/79 cc VAM-4 ms-63 hard pack GSA for my top 100 Vams set; it didn't allow it. I thought it was because the label didn't state it was a top 100 but when you check the scores there's a slot for the VAM-4 without the top 100 label. So since I initially thought that the missing top 100 was the reason but it was not.

Then I tried to add it to one of my GSA hard pack only sets; did not accept it there either. The label clearly states its a ms-63 VAM-4 but also states its has a obverse lamination. If that's the reason it's TOTALLY unfair; I've seen many mint errors including laminations in registry sets. The 1955, 1972, 1995 double die Lincoln cents as well as 3 1/2 legged Buffalos nickels, MANY overdates in eariler gold, the entire set of Presidental edge lettering set, not to mention all the VAMs in GSA hard packs, and yes even laminations in the rarer coins. Why would NGC certify a GSA AND give it a numerical grade with the correct and acceptable VAM designation and not allow it in any registry sets? No thank you to the custom sets. Is there a chance I could put it in ANY regisrty set? Can it be re-labeled? Or should I just throw it in the trash and consider it a very expensive lesson learned...it might make a unique beverage holder. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

David aka #. Coin in question #3659385-001 1880/79 cc VAM 4 ms-63 obverse lamination.

Some where it should clearly state and be strictly enforced what is acceptable for ALL members.

• Administrator

Good Afternoon, HashTag.

We normally do not accept MINT ERROR coins into the competitive Registry. But with the lamination case here, we have accepted your Morgan. Thank you, and have a great day.

Dear Ms. Ali E.,

THANK YOU ! T H A N K. Y O U !! You are a goddess. And extremely fast one at that; sincerely thank you for seeing my GSA for what it is and what it's not. You've made my week so here's to karma...I hope you have a blessed weekend, new shoes, diamonds or whatever makes you smile like I am.

Even if you wouldn't have understood my point I still think you are awesome (but I wouldn't be smiling).

Sincerely Thank you for all your hard work and efforts. You are one of the MAIN differences from those things ATS!

David aka #

• Administrator

Good Morning, David.

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it. :grin: If you need any help in the future, just let me know. Have a super Monday!