• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay bans the sale of ALL Cuban coins ...

16 posts in this topic

... according to the COIN World front page article in the June 17, 2013 edition.

eBay had provided quite a vibrant marketplace for certified First Republic Cuban coinage and the vast majority of my Collectors Society registered coins were obtained there. Cuban coins minted between 1915 and 1961 inclusive are identified as being from the "First Republic," and the Collectors Society designates each Cuban registry set as such. These coins were all minted by the US Mint in the USA and are not embargoed by the US Government. eBay however, took it upon themselves to ban ALL Cuban coins on April 9, 2013, embargoed or not.

I hope eBay can cure their current case of anal-cranial-impaction before too long. Until they do though, there is a good opportunity for other auction sites to fill the void and make money on a market that eBay has chosen not to participate in.

The image below is the obverse of my 1934 ABC Peso. (It was obtained on Teletrade.)

13792.jpg

See more journals by coin928

As I understand it, the Feds are cracking down on Cuban made items for sale in the US whether they were made during the Castro era or not. The embargo is still in place.

My guess is that Ebay is complying with the law.

As I understand it, the Feds are cracking down on Cuban made items for sale in the US whether they were made during the Castro era or not. The embargo is still in place.

The coins the OP is talking about were minted in Philadelphia. (shrug)

The coins the OP is talking about were minted in Philadelphia. (shrug)

Made in Philly when we smoked their cigars!! That's old history but the law is firm and Cuba new and old is out.

I agree. Three of my uncles fought the Nazis, one was wounded in action and another spent several months in a POW camp. If pre-Castro Cuban coins are banned, anything Nazi should certainly be banned.

Well.......the United States doesn't have a current embargo against Germany like it does with Cuba. I'd say that's why Ebay is doing what it is. However, I do think it's a bit draconian for them to apply this to ALL Cuban coins. The Embargo is against the Castro ( be it Fidel or Raul) Government, so pre-Castro coins should be ok, one would think. I just think Ebay is being a bit overcautious with this one.

Apparently, this extends to Paypal purchases, too!

from Delcampe.net, a European auction site:

At the beginning of May, PayPal froze payments for items including the name of the countries subject to U.S. embargo (Cuba, Iran, Ivory Coast, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Yemen, Zimbabwe). PayPal being a U.S. company, they had to apply restrictions.

We were not notified of these by the company. But the numerous testimonies of members allowed us to be quickly aware of the situation. We immediately contacted the PayPal company in order to learn more about this.

They told us that this was the application of a new measure. The overall principle is that the sale of goods cannot bring money to countries under embargo, because in this case they are automatically blocked. This blocking is but only temporary when the names of countries in question are only included in the title of the item and the sale does not bring any money to countries under embargo. This is the case for the vast majority of collectibles sold on our site.

Delcampe being a company based in Europe, we do not apply these restrictions. But the sellers accepting and using PayPal are required to comply with this new measure.

IMO, Nazi minted coins are offensive (lost relatives to the Nazis).

IMO they should be not allowed on eBay too.

Without a doubt, what the Nazis did was horrible; however, I disagree with you about censoring any of their coins. If society is allowed to turn a blind eye to the past, it will forget the lessons that it learned about genocide and avoiding problems like this in the future.

Can someone please tell me why the embargo necessitates the prohibition of Cuban coinage in the U.S.? It is utterly without and merit and seemingly irrational. Why would they care if collectors possess the coinage? The amount of coinage consumed by collectors would be negligible and would in no way provide significant revenue to Cuba.

Well, the TPGs wouldn't grade the 1962 box of Cuban cigars JFK gave my Dad....