• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1895-o. What you think?

54 posts in this topic

Why don't you submit the coin to our host? Anyone and I mean anyone can become a coin dealer or at least sport that title.

Kenny,

Don't you have to meet certain qualifications in order to be considered a dealer with the two major TPG's?

To become an authorized dealer (PCGS)

And NGC: " Q. I am a coin dealer. How can I become an NGC Authorized Dealer?

A. Contact NGC Customer Service (1-800-NGC-COIN) and request a dealer application. It is required that you have been in the business of numismatics for at least one year and can provide at least four numismatic references."

I may not have understood what point you were making but if it was in reference to bulk submissions and discounted rates then I think you have to be an Authorized Dealer. No?

Years ago, in order to submit coins through PCGS or NGC, you had to go through an authorized dealer. This is no longer the case. Both NGC and PCGS have "Collector's Club's" (i.e. fee agreements) which allow collectors to directly submit their own coins. Additionally, even if you are not a member of NGC's Collector's Club, if you are an ANA member, you are entitled to direct grading privileges (because NGC is the official grading service of the ANA).

Back to your other point - the definitions used by the TPGs to define "authorized dealers" necessarily entail certain financial requirements (or else there is a probability that rogue dealerships and those with less than honest motives would become authorized dealers and potentially open the TPGs up to liability). The definition of "authorized dealer" can and does differ from the definition of "dealer" that is traditionally used in the hobby. While no one definition is universally considered to be controlling, generally dealers buy and sell coins in order to make profits, and they do this often enough to constitute a regular business. An "authorized dealer" is a dealer who meets the requirements of one of the major grading services to be approved as a submission center for them.

I was mainly referring to bulk submissions at a reduced rate.

I am, of-course, completely familiar with the fact that Members and ANA Members can directly submit coins, medals, tokens, etc... An authorized dealer is able to submit in bulk at a much lower rate. I, you, or lama can submit in bulk too but I would hate to see the bill for that. I would hate even more to have to pay it.

I was mainly referring to bulk submissions at a reduced rate.

I am, of-course, completely familiar with the fact that Members and ANA Members can directly submit coins, medals, tokens, etc... An authorized dealer is able to submit in bulk at a much lower rate. I, you, or lama can submit in bulk too but I would hate to see the bill for that. I would hate even more to have to pay it.

I cannot speak for NGC since you have to have an Elite Membership to even view bulk rates (which were instituted for collectors very recently, or at least that is my understanding). For PCGS at least, you have to submit 100 coins at a time of two or three dates/mint marks. Very few dealers submit that many at a time especially of this date to make it worth while. There is also a value cap (usually pretty low) on bulk submissions. This coin would be borderline anyway on whether it would meet that cap. Now it is true that dealers sometimes do receive additional discounts in grading fees; however, most of them also charge you to prescreen the coin, to prepare the submission, etc., which would eat up any "savings." Unless you are working closely with dealer to have him screen your coins for you, I think direct submission is the way to go.

Yeah ...You know I am actually confusing this Llama fella with that LiftedChevy .... or I should say his new name which only a couple caught on to... Needshelp.

He said that he had hundreds of coins from his Father passing. Someone that has that many coins and are in the need of grading then going to a dealer and working out something on the back end would be the way to go as far as I am concerned.

**** Edit ****

No I am not confused. Here is the title to Llama's post "Got a lot to Send in." .... If he has allot of coins to send in then he needs to find another means then bulk submission himself. That is why I was suggesting he get with an Authorized Dealer.

I am a member of PCGS-you get 8 free grades which burned through.

If I'm near Indianapolis I'll go in and just look at any rare coins they might have-learn a little and lot of times brings coins in and have them looked it and weighed (Just in case you get a really good counterfeit). I've saved some money before as got a decent 94p and turned out to be a counterfeit. It was a really, really good one and it as odd because it was maybe an xf40 and did not see why somebody went to so much effort to make a really good fake and make it so worn?? Mysteries...

I wanted a nice thread where people could give their opinions but some people apparently have nothing better to do.

Now if I had not sure if was cleaned I would state that. I said-hay nope got lucky and it was not cleaned. When I took it to Lost Dutchman they confirmed that as I'll admit some of the gentle cleaning I miss.

So when you come on here just to try and look smart and say "It is not cleaned" when we are past that and I have repeated myself now 3 times then I have to ask why you are posting on here in the first place?

Do you really want everyone to just agree with you?

I like getting honest opinions and learn from it.

Please send the coin in and let us know the results.

I have seen some of Lost Dutchmans raw submittals and nearly all came back lower than expected and yes some detailed. He may have missed yours.

Also if you think he is the ONLY rare coin dealer in your state you better not let him know that. Plenty of dealers in and near IN.

I did some comparisons with the coins on the HA database. I saw similar ones graded from Au 50 – Au 55. On second though Xf 45 probably was a bit harsh but still not out of the question. The main issue is has this coin been cleaned. Based solely on the photos it appears that it has been cleaned or at least overly dipped.

Approximately what did you pay for the coin ?? Personally I would stay away from raw key date coins like this found on EBAY or any place else for that matter .

I did some comparisons with the coins on the HA database. I saw similar ones graded from Au 50 – Au 55. On second though Xf 45 probably was a bit harsh but still not out of the question. The main issue is has this coin been cleaned. Based solely on the photos it appears that it has been cleaned or at least overly dipped.

Approximately what did you pay for the coin ?? Personally I would stay away from raw key date coins like this found on EBAY or any place else for that matter .

Mark, the XF-45 was a netgrade. The coin has very little original luster. Regardless of the amount of "meat" the coin should grade no higher than XF.

It is very hard to say what I paid for it as bought with lot of other coins but about $350 give or take I guess-hard as did not go through one by one and say "This coin is worth X and this one is worth X/. Just bought it all"

I have a another thread with a 96-s I think a few of you posted on already but but pictures of 2 84-s at bottom of first page as well.

Like I've been saying-got a ton this week to send in. Helping fund PCGS this month

RL, I am afraid I have to agree that it looks cleaned to me. The obverse has that polished look. Details wise I would say AU50, are you submitting it or keeping it raw?

I submit everything I buy.

I keep saying-I am a one man funding operation for PCGS. lol

Maybe I will pick up some of their stock. hm

XF DETAILS - CLEANED

and to OP, it's really pointless to ask for other members' opinions of a coin, and then when they say they think it's cleaned you say it's definitely not cleaned, or when they say they think it's a 45 you say it's definitely 53/55. You basically said "it's either 53 or 55, only comment if you are at one of these grades". People can tell you what you'd like to hear, but how would that help You?

It is true that New Orleans Morgans from mid 1880's to mod 1890's are often found with with a "soft" strike, but that still doesn't mean a coin with that amount of wear can grade choice AU

I really don't think NGC would 'netgrade' it. I think it would go "xf details". Still Not a horrible buy at $350, and I would keep it raw. But good luck!

I really don't think NGC would 'netgrade' it.

What does that term mean?

It means place it in a problem-free holder at a lower "net-grade" for the problem.

Thanks!

Was wondering for a while what that meant. I hope they do that for a gold One Dollar type 1 that I sent in .... I fully expect a details holder but I just had to take the chance.

I'm sorry, don't take this personally, but I just have to ask.....

Why don't you take all that money your spending on grading fees at PCGS and buy already slabbed, problem free, NGC coins?

Again, its not meant as an insult by any means.

The surface is a little flat on that one, unless it's just the lighting in the pictures. It's still a nice example of that date/mm. Somewhere in high-EF, low-AU, if it grades.