• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red spots on .9999 gold

7 posts in this topic

What are they and can they be removed?

Red spots on gold coins is a well know issue. It used to be thought that these we copper spots in alloyed coins. Well, 2008 Buffalos are essentially pure gold, yet they also frequently suffer from these spots. I have one in my possession with a spot near the top of the head (see pic). My questions:

1. How do these spots affect grading?

2. Can they be removed?

3. Does anyone have any experience with NCS removing them?

13637.png

See more journals by Cellgazer

I don't have any .9999 gold coins but I received a Proof set a few years ago with similar spots on the Presidential dollars - looked like Thomas Jefferson had a bad case of measles. I sent it back to the Mint. I guess it was either residue from planchet cleaning (suspected source of "milk spots" on silver proofs) or contamination between striking and encapsulation. NCS may be able to fix it.

I can not tell you what causes these spots on 0.9999 fine gold but when coins were struck with 0.900 or 0.800 these spots were reported to be the result of copper that was not uniformly dissolved into the gold. In other words very tiny specs of pure copper. Dealers would really knock down their offers to buy when they saw the spots.

Best regards

I see it's not graded yet. NCS or a bit of gold cleaner on a Q-Tip might do the trick----Then sell it!!! :)

You can never remove the sollid copper from the coin but may lessen the obvious.

Rick

I just got a Ultra High Relief back graded MS69. NGC had called earlier suggesting it go to NCS. They could make no promise that it would be regarded higher. I've known about the spot for years, even called NGC and NCS in past. At those times they couldn't tell me that the spot could be removed. After sending to NGC for grading they more fully understand that it's caused by metal discoloration. NCS charges 4% of the insured price associated with the coin when shipped to NGC to just look at coin. Then it must be repaired and re-submitted for grading, I had the coin returned as a MS69. If I decide to submit for repair, I will send directly to NCS. My spot is on the reverse and in the rays of the sun, difficult to see. It's actually quite beautiful. under magnification Reading about these spots, it's possible that they could raise the coins value far down the road. If you are planning to flip the coin, figure repair costs versus increased profit. If you plan to keep, it may be fine, even maybe wise, to keep. It depends on how you think it affects your coins beauty. I posted a photo of mine a year ago. you can see it in Numismatic General-coin conservation thread. My post name is steph1942