• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay - Numismatic Photography Setup

11 posts in this topic

I've built up a photography setup for coins using a B&L K-Stand base. The base requires more room on a desktop than the A-Stand I have sold in the past, but is a good size for use as a sorting work surface as well. The setup includes two lenses...one for full-coin viewing and one for high magnification viewing of varieties and such. It has a starting bid of $325 and buy it now of $450.

Note that the setup takes the place of a traditional Macro Lens and Copy Stand, but it has a wider magnification range and more precise adjustment than any traditional Lenses or Stands.

I can also build a custom setup for your particular needs. PM me for details.

Here is the link to eBay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200924753560

I already have a set-up that I really like based on lots of advice from Ray, but I'd like to give a reference regarding Ray's expertise in this field.

Ray (the OP) has been immeasurably helpful in teaching and writing on the many facets of numismatic photography on several forums. If he puts together a set-up like this, then I can vouch that it will do amazing things. Ray is a consummate professional and absolute genius regarding imaging of coins. I hope someone here on the boards will snag this set-up.

(thumbs u

-Brandon

Excellent deal and set up right there. If there's someone who can shoot a RPM or anything it's Ray.

EDIT: Willing to bet I could modify it a bit for my FUJI S3280 P&S.

Thanks to all for the kind words!

I've uploaded some pics taken with the setup to the eBay page. I took pics with the 75mm (full Dollar, full Cent, detail of Cent) across its whole magnification range, and also with the 35mm (Dollar date detail, Dollar star detail) across its whole range. These Tominon lenses are quite nice and have flat fields so are very easy to use. I used a 10MP Canon XS for the shots.

Also note that I realized that the 75mm will work well with Canon cameras (44mm register distance) but not well with Nikon (46mm register). So if you have a Nikon camera, I'll send a 105mm instead of 75mm lens. Same high quality but better for large coin shots with Nikons.

You should include a couple sample pics on ebay to grab people's attention.

Thanks, good advice, and I took it...pics are uploaded...Ray

And now you should add a disclaimer that the coins are not included in case some dumby tries to get snarky after buying it lol. You never know what ebay will side with.

And now you should add a disclaimer that the coins are not included in case some dumby tries to get snarky after buying it lol. You never know what ebay will side with.

The disclaimer was already there when I looked last night.

I already have a set-up that I really like based on lots of advice from Ray, but I'd like to give a reference regarding Ray's expertise in this field.

Ray (the OP) has been immeasurably helpful in teaching and writing on the many facets of numismatic photography on several forums. If he puts together a set-up like this, then I can vouch that it will do amazing things. Ray is a consummate professional and absolute genius regarding imaging of coins. I hope someone here on the boards will snag this set-up.

(thumbs u

-Brandon

I am sold 100% on Ray's expertise and willingness to teach. He is a wealth of information.

I also have a setup designed by Ray. I only wish I had it when I started. I very rarely use a copystand or dedicated macro lens any more, only for coins larger than Morgan dollars.

I would encourage anyone interested in coin photography to make it a point to investigate Ray's systems. Overall these are much cheaper than a copystand and dedicated macro lens and with results that are arguably much better. Another plus is the desktop footprint of Ray's systems are a fraction of what is taken up by most medium size copystands.

Note the size of the camera attached to the microscope stand and bellows (which is sitting on the copystand) compared to the size of the copy stand with a couple of macro lenses (100mm and 180mm)

DSC01238.JPG

Less than 24 hrs left for the auction stand.

If a CS forum member uses BIN, I'll give a $50 discount so price would be $400.

Keep in mind that I can custom-build a setup to fit your needs. PM me with any questions.