• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 Canada Silver Bald Eagle Portrait of Power 1oz Proof with OGP and COA

15 posts in this topic

Might want to look into this if you are into low worldwide mintage ... 7,500 worldwide. Well there is only 7,498 available now I know for sure. :grin:

Kinda pricey @ $99.95 but I doubt they will be found in stock anywhere else for less and no shipping fees.

Link to MCW Canadian Eagle Low Mintage.

CA00003307.jpg

The RCM sold out in two hours. Although this Eagle actually looks like a Chicken it is the first in a series of low mintage coins and this first one will probably be referred to as the 'Chicken Eagle' one day. Sounds like more money to me.

I am up to 4. Maybe I can corner the market. hm

Now I see that SilverTowne has them as well. They are also shipping NGC Slabbed PF70UC for $139.00 with S/H included.

Now I am up to 6..... Well on my way to making a dent in that 7,500 mintage. ;)

SilverTowne Slabs

Well I don't think I can corner the market but I am off to a good start. They are increasingly selling out at the major dealers.

I still have 2 PCGS PF70 DCAM's yet to come. I guess 10 is a good start.

DSCN2896.JPG

From what I viewed on a live Television Show (The Coin Vault.com) about a week and a half ago, I believe that they got the entire US Distribution exclusive. They were presented by a member of the Royal Canadian Mint on the show about a month early to assist in the 25th Anniversary celebration on TV. The remaining three versions are coming on Aug 13th (Lifelong Mates), Sep 10th ( Returning from the Hunt), and the final one on Oct 8th (Mother Protecting Her Eaglets). Anyone purchasing one of the first coins from 'The Coin Vault' will get a preferential phone call to obtain a like number of following issues before being offered to the general public.

By the way, I got 2 of the 70s. (so far)

Thanks for that info. I was not sure what the release schedule was going to be.

If you are talking about that Coin Shopping Television Channel then there goes the neighborhood. I will not but anything from a TV Channel. Never have; Never will.

I think they will have some at the places I get them just as they did this time. I just need to make sure I have some cash ready when they appear. I made a good bit of money selling my excess inventory marked up considerably. PCGS, of-course, sold out first then the NGC's started moving. All that is left it would seem are the 69's and they will sit on those for a long time. I have one NGC MS70 Slab left and 5 OGP's I think (not counting what I kept for myself).

Hell of a lot more exciting issue than the ASE's feeble attempts to reinvigorate enthusiasm in the Eagle.... I guess 30 + Million mintage is just not enough for the US Government.

Hi again,

Sorry I haven't been on in awhile, but other things take priority. I fully understand your hesitancy about buying from TV Shows (and I'm usually the same), however this is a reputable dealer in TN, just south of Nashville. Has been in business for quite some years (25 to be exact) and I have bought from them on several occasions. You can call direct, order from their website, etc. I have been ordering from their website on the last several purchases. Not always the cheapest, but quality service. I don't have anything to do with them on a business basis, just a customer, I like to refer quality businesses when I run across them. My 2 PF70 UCAMs are gorgeous, and I can't wait to get the others when available. The few I have seen being sold recently have been from just under $200 to a little over. Not many being sold yet though.

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

I sold them all I had bought except for two remaining. One in OGP and one in PF69DCAM PCGS. I kept one OGP anf one PR70DCAM PCGS for myself. I won't buy another 69 since they didn't move well at all. I bought 2 and only one has sold. I marked the other down considerably as well as the last OGP I have and they sit on my web site waiting.

I am looking forward to the next release I think you said was mid August. I am going to focus more on just making sure I get an entire set for myself but I might buy some extras once again but only in 70's. Those flew off the shelf at nearly twice the bought price.

I think coins like these are over rated and I am not sure that a mintage of 7500 is really that low. It is low in absolute terms especially by modern standards but this must be considered in the context that it is not a US coin. How scarce is it compared to other alternatives which probably include at least those from the UK and Australia?

Even at $100 ungraded, I think it is probably overpriced. The 1911-2011 KGV 100th anniversary proof set I told you about in a prior post, I think both the silver dollar and the set are a lot more desirable and appeal to a bigger audience than any of these. At least for me, it is a set I would like to own and I do not collect Canadian coins at all and almost never buy anything outside of my "core" series.

I actually prefer Canadian and Australian coins over contemporary US mintage. The quality control seems to be much better. When I go to buy 20 Silver Coins I choose between the ASE and The Maple Leaf and it has been months since I have bought any ASE's that were not slabbed. All bullion coins that I buy are Maple Leafs. They just come from the mint in such better shape it is amazing. Now the Britania's .... that's a different story. I am still looking for a Britania slabbed 70 that is not priced so high I can't touch it. Britain must not give a hoot about QC? Every single BU coin I bought of those has looked like fido's a s s!

Well low mintage is subjective and relative. 7,500 coins ONLY, relative to 40,000,000 coins, to me is a no brainier. Do Canadians not collect coins? I would surely imagine that they have at least 7,500 coin collectors in that country. They can be more selective on what they choose to collect though since their government mints coins in many different series that are 'interesting and exciting' compared to Mrs Walking Liberty and a couple of dull commemorative's a year.

Would you consider 500 coins limited? Well once again you have to go outside this country to Mexico and you will find that they produce interesting series as well and on the proofs it is not uncommon for them to only mint 300, 500, or 700 gold coins max. Is there a market out there for these low mintage coins? I have no idea yet. But you bet your ___ I am buying these Gold Proofs with only 300 mintage. But it is interesting how a coin that has a mintage of 40 million plus generates more interest than a coin that has a max mint production of 500. (shrug)

btw; I bought those slabbed MS70 Canadian Eagles in both PCGS and NGC for $139.95 and they flew off the shelf FAST at $195.50. Others were selling them for over $205.00 to $215.00....and getting it. I bought the OGP @ $99.00 and they flew out of here at $155.50 ... The PCGS went first. No one touched the NGC until after I sold out of the PCGS's. Then the NGC's started moving but I eventually had to lower the price to get those to move. Same with the OGP. Now I have 1 MS69 PCGS slab (Should have left those alone) and one or two OGP's left. I am having to either just hold on to those or lose money since the rush is over. I tried auctioning the other 69 off and it only brought $100 so I lost $40 dollars + shipping there and decide I would not try that again.

p.s.; Don't remember if I found that set you were telling me about or if I just ran out of time to go there and look so I can't comment on that set.

I was not comparing the mintages of these coins to the US. I was comparing them to those of non-US coins.

I cannot tell you what the demand is for any of these because I do not pay any attention to them. I was simply describing the mintages of that 2011 Canadian set to the one you used in the context of what I see as their numismatic merits. And on that standard, I do not think there is any comparison between the two though I agree there is no guarantee that this will be reflected in the future pricing.

From a collectible standpoint, I do not see any of those coins as "real" numismatical items. It is basically the same opinion I hold for a disproportionate number of non-circulating modern US mint issues. They have little if any collectible significance that I can see (regardless of how attractive or "neat" they may be) and I consider them really no different than any number of other products which spewed out by any number of other industries. They are just a bunch of "widgets" that are produced by mints solely for the purpose of making money. As little as I care for most modern circulating coins, I am never going to say that they lack any collectible significance because they obviously do, if for no other reason that they are used in real commerce.

On coins with apparently really low mintages, don't be so sure that even one with 300 to 500 is really that low. In past posts, I used the example of the post 1984 Swiss 1000 CHF gold. I bought two of them in 2006 with 400 and 300 issued for a similar reason. Later when I realized no one or hardly anyone really wanted them, I got rid of them at a loss. Coins like these are much easier to buy than to sell. From a financial standpoint, I am negative on modern gold with any premium of mention absent a specific reason.

The reason I use this example is because while I consider Switzerland modern issues less popular than Canada or Australia, it isn't an irrelevant country numismatically. Compared to most, I would say there are more collectors for Swiss coins and the prices generally reflect it. The point is, if the pricing is so weak for the example I gave, I would not want most others either.

I understand your position and respect that. Fortunately I collect these coins with the desire to hang on to them if no one wants to pay the premium I am asking. I have no problem with that. After all, I only buy coins that I think are interesting and generate enthusiasm in my collecting.

I sold the last PR69DCAM PCGS tonight. So I am pretty much done with that first in the series of four. I am not convinced as of yet if I will invest so heavily in the next in the series, due in August, but I know without a doubt that I will be buying at least one OGP and one PCGS PR70DCAM and one NGC PF70UCAM to continue my series. Only time will tell if they increase in value or become a series I am no longer interested in and sell the entire series at some point in time.

Right now I am concentrating on completing a NGC Silver Proof 70 UCAM State Quarters set. Making pretty good head way. That Delaware is my stumbling block right now. But I will get one of those soon through my own submission. Then I will be doing very well at completing that set.

Btw; I enjoy reading your opinion and prospective on this. Gives me something to think about.

Looks like those Canadian Chicken Eagles are really paying off for those that hung on to them.

Bought for $139.95 Selling for $440.00 + ..... Not a bad investment after all for such a short turn around. Only 5 months.

Wonder what a 6 Mos CD pays? :grin: