• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photographing NGC Prong Holdered Coins

11 posts in this topic

The appearance of "bites" out of the rim when photographing coins

in NGC so-called prong holders can be eliminated by showing a bit of

the holder itself. Your brain suddenly "gets it" on what you are seeing.

test2.jpg

test1.jpg

Coin photo from vamworld.com

The disadvantage of that approach (which works well for what you are suggesting) is that if you are trying to photograph a large number of coins and maintain a consistent size (of both the frame and the coin), the NGC coins are now all a bit smaller.

I don't circle crop I square crop which to me works best as you can crop to the coins edge and still show that the coin is in a pronged holder.

Consignments146200.jpg

i hate the edge view inserts. they overlap on the coin especially on the reverse. and why do we need to see the edge if nothing is on it?

There could be significant rim dings and other damage that may otherwise be concealed (and even could be theoretically concealed still at least to some degree; at least things are a bit better with the prongs).

Bill there are a lot of free programs that allow you to circle crop, i believe gimp is the one a lot of people use? I personally like using image composer but is hard to find. Once I learned how to do it in photoshop, thanks Bob, that's all I use now.

This might get me flamed, and I would never do this if I was going to sell a coin. But just for making images of my coins for my own enjoyment, sometimes I "edit out" the prongs. Of course you need a bit of artistic flair in Photoshop and some imagination. I agree it's misleading as I really have no idea what the coin rim looks like under the prongs, but I do think it makes the images look nicer as you gaze at them (just for personal use). B.T.W This is a Roman coin from 100 B.C. and on the reverse is a boat with oars (took me a while to figure that out).

100BC_2x2.jpg

i hate the edge view inserts. they overlap on the coin especially on the reverse. and why do we need to see the edge if nothing is on it?

nothing on the edge? er, ah, thaz a pretty naive statement, sorry.........

Edge view is the best holder made so far from many perspectives, and the word 'hate' is fairly extreme if you ask me.

Best, HT

I don't circle crop I square crop which to me works best as you can crop to the coins edge and still show that the coin is in a pronged holder.

Consignments146200.jpg

I love this strategy and believe Shane is doing it the RIGHT way!

(thumbs u