• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two CICF Newps

2 posts in this topic

I saw this at Jim Elman's table while I was contemplating another piece (the second coin in this post). It's a 1780-KM 10 Kopek copper piece from Siberia. It's a fantastic hefty piece, about the diameter of a crown-sized coin but with much greater thicker. The obverse legend simply says, in Russian, "Siberian Money", and the center device says "10 Kopeks 1780".

This is quite an unexpected purchase for me, because I don't do copper. My only other real copper purchase is a nicely toned SVDB in 65BN. As for why I purchased this, it's because of my Russian ex-wife. One day while we were still married, she pulled out a bag of old coins that she brought with her from her home outside Novosibirsk. In that accumulation were some large copper pieces that were totally original with lovely chocolate lustrous surfaces. They were nice circulated pieces, and not worth a fortune, but all quite handsome.

(BTW, this piece cost me little enough that I'm ok with this impulse buy.)

The coin is currently undergoing typical EAC-style massage and restoration.

1780-KM%20Siberia%2010%20Kopek.jpg

My second piece, also from Jim Elman, is actually within my core collecting interests. It's a 1779 Scudo from Milan (Dav-1386), depicting Maria Theresa, Empress of Austria. In hand, this is a very handsome piece. It has light adjustment marks on the reverse. I used my iPhone 5 to snap the pictures in my hotel room, so you may not appreciate its quality as much as I do. And, yes, it will be sent to a TPG. And, no, I'm not interested in a GTG situation.

1779%20Milan%20Scudo%20Dav-1386.jpg