• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB 2011 (W) ASE NGC ms70 non burnished --$--found 1 thanks--$$

10 posts in this topic

For some reason these are hard to find? Plenty of Ws but no "struck at West Point" in the NGC holders at ms 70. There is a spot for it in my registry set. So they must have produced some. I have found a few in the PCGS slabs. But none in NGC. Regards Bruce.

Bruce, forgive my lack of knowledge on this coin but your interest brings up a question about the 25th Anniversary Set coins.

When the sets were released we were told that the West Point mint had struck some of the coins that were originally slated to be struck in Philly. I remember collectors were looking for markers to tell the difference in the two. Some said the tail feathers of the eagle were different and possibly identified the West Point coins but nothing was ever confirmed, as far as I know.

So the questions is:

How can NGC identify the West Point coins?

If I were to submit a coin that I purchased from the mint that was struck in West Point, it has no mint mark. How can NGC know that it's not a bullion coin struck in Philly? Likewise, If I were to submit a bullion coin from the 25th Anniversary Set, could it be labeled "struck at West Point"?

Neither of these coins have the requirement of be "sealed" in OGP, as far as I know, so any coin could be submitted with the West Point certificate.

I don't get it (shrug)

As far as I know the only way that NGC can tell where it was struck it has to be submitted in a monster box with the West Point ( or San Fran ) designation sealing the box. As far as the anniversary set it has a mint mark W and a S and one without a mark that was struck at Philly, plus the two proof coins.

In 2006 they started making burnished coins with the W mint mark. And in 2011they started the "struck at" designation either San Fran or West Point with no mint mark, but the slab showed a (W) or (S). I have all the other ones but can't seem to find the 2011 (W). I seen a few in the PCGS slabs but no NGCs. And like I said my registry set has a slot for it. Take a look at my set and you can see the difference. Bruce

As far as I know the only way that NGC can tell where it was struck it has to be submitted in a monster box with the West Point ( or San Fran ) designation sealing the box. As far as the anniversary set it has a mint mark W and a S and one without a mark that was struck at Philly, Bruce

Some of the 25th Anniversary Set Bullion coins were minted at West Point. There was a big stir about it and some very close investigation of the coins to see if a marker could be found. I remember people thinking if they could find a marker then a production total could be determined and then we would have a very limited edition coin. I remember the eagles tail feathers being look at very closely.

If the West Point coins had to be submitted in Monster Boxes, then that would be definite identification for those coins but the 25th Anniversary Set coins will always be a mystery. (Unless you can find a marker) hm

The anniverary set has a ms W and a ms S and a no mark Philly coin in ms. plus it had the two proof coins. where is the mystery? i dont get it. the sets had to be mint sealed to get the TPG designation as anniversary set coins.

The anniverary set has a ms W and a ms S and a no mark Philly coin in ms. plus it had the two proof coins. where is the mystery? i dont get it. the sets had to be mint sealed to get the TPG designation as anniversary set coins.

I have to leave the office but I'll send you a link to the article stating that the mint needed to produce some of the 25th Anniversary Set Bullion coins in West Point. I believe it had something to do with a planchet shortage. But I can assure you that a portion of the No mint mark coins from that set were minted in West Point.

There were a bunch of posts on the topic on "Coin Talk" and people were trying to identify them but could not.

Do you understand what I'm saying this time?

I have to leave the office but I'll send you a link to the article stating that the mint needed to produce some of the 25th Anniversary Set Bullion coins in West Point. I believe it had something to do with a planchet shortage. But I can assure you that a portion of the No mint mark coins from that set were minted in West Point.

There were a bunch of posts on the topic on "Coin Talk" and people were trying to identify them but could not.

Do you understand what I'm saying this time?

Yes I do now. I thought you were talking about the W mark coins in the set. I would be interested in reading the article on the subject though when you get a chance

Bruce,

Where have you been looking for this coin? I have a bullion W and S in MS70. I bought them on eBay. They are in NGC holders. I'm not at home so I don't have access to my spreadsheet that will tell me the eBay seller. I'll let you know where I picked them up.

Joe

Bruce,

Where have you been looking for this coin? I have a bullion W and S in MS70. I bought them on eBay. They are in NGC holders. I'm not at home so I don't have access to my spreadsheet that will tell me the eBay seller. I'll let you know where I picked them up.

Joe

Joe, I have the W and the S also, I was looking for the (W).for some reason they seem to be scarce. I did find one from a chat board member. Thanks for replying though. Just for kicks try to find one non burnished or not in the anniversary set without the mint mark. If you do let me know I'm curious now as it should be a very common coin. Regards Bruce