• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp: a Wildman from Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel

11 posts in this topic

I don't have the coin in hand because the coin's been shipped to gmarguli (who will get it slabbed and imaged), but he likes the coin in hand. He says the reverse luster is tremendous, and there is no field wear on either side. Too bad that one of the wild men is so poorly struck.

This is Dav-2157, 1752-IBH, Duke Karl I (1735-1780), from the Zellerfeld mint (Johann Benjamin Hecht, mint master).

1024.jpg

Interesting medal. I wonder if the "wildmen" are actually representative of giants or Titans as they appear larger than the trees that are next to them?

Is it a medal or a coin (i.e., monetary item that one can use to purchase stuff with)?

Oftentimes, these coins are commemorating an event or person. I figure if it has a KM or Dav number, then it's good enough for me.

As for the size of the wild men, I assume that's simply artistic license.

EVP

Most likely a medal. It has no stated value and the swan side reads (in Latin) "This white swan brings great rewards" around the edge. The rest of the verbage on that side is in german and is also about a white swan (my German is rusty so I will leave the translation to others) plus the date 1732. The reverse? side just mentions the ruler and his domains plus the date of issue 1752.

As it appears to commemorate a 20 year anniversary of something and as the white swan could be a metaphor for someone I looked up the Duke's lineage. The Duke's last child, a son, was born in 1732 so this could been issued for his 20th birthday as a present to party guests. In any case, it's a great piece :)

Cheers!

Wendy

Most likely a medal. It has no stated value and the swan side reads (in Latin) "This white swan brings great rewards" around the edge. The rest of the verbage on that side is in german and is also about a white swan (my German is rusty so I will leave the translation to others) plus the date 1732. The reverse? side just mentions the ruler and his domains plus the date of issue 1752.

As it appears to commemorate a 20 year anniversary of something and as the white swan could be a metaphor for someone I looked up the Duke's lineage. The Duke's last child, a son, was born in 1732 so this could been issued for his 20th birthday as a present to party guests. In any case, it's a great piece :)

Cheers!

Wendy

Admittedly I would like this less if it were a medal...

However, I'm not seeing any actual evidence to say one way or another. This piece has a Dav#, so maybe Davenport was wrong. He called it a Thaler. And, looking at the comparables, they frequently do not have denominations on the coins. Stamping the denomination on the coins seem to be a later practice.

You may see a '5' or '1/4' stamped onto the coin to denote multiple or factional value, but I don't recall seeing a '1' stamp.

And, marking an event or person on the coin was the norm.

EVP

It's absolutely a coin, not a medal. A significant number of coins from this era don't have denominations on them. However, being in the Davenport or Krause catalogs is not a guarantee that at item is actually a coin. It could easily be a medal that was minted to a similar weight as a coin and the people used them in commerce.

The swan is representing the White Swan Mine where the silver for this coin was mined. It was minted for several years (1744-1761). This is what is known as a Mining Taler.

It's absolutely a coin, not a medal. A significant number of coins from this era don't have denominations on them. However, being in the Davenport or Krause catalogs is not a guarantee that at item is actually a coin. It could easily be a medal that was minted to a similar weight as a coin and the people used them in commerce.

The swan is representing the White Swan Mine where the silver for this coin was mined. It was minted for several years (1744-1761). This is what is known as a Mining Taler.

OK, a coin then ... admittedly, talers are not my forte! I have never heard of mining talers, but there are plenty of examples of official and unofficial coinage (not saying that this is unofficial) of coins being minted near mines.

Got a call from Greg Margulies today.

My grade is posted. 62. Lower than I had hoped (63), but higher than I had feared (58). I suppose that the grade is fair enough from in-hand assessment.

EVP