• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW W 2013 W ASE Enhanced Coin

15 posts in this topic

Have you seen the pic of the upcoming ASE that the U.S. Mint will be releasing in May of this year?

It will only be sold in a set from the West Point Mint. The Mint is calling it an enhanced Uncirculated American Eagle.

The 2013 American Eagle West Point Two-Coin Silver Set will include the enhanced Uncirculated American Eagle and a reverse proof American Eagle. These coins will not be sold separately.. Unlike the SF set this will be a unique set since. Your thoughts on this coin.

Happy Collecting

13304.jpg

See more journals by DVD Home Studios

Ed,

I do like the reverse proof but the enhanced, I'm not so keen in a very dark field when it comes to a coin. Just doesn't look right or healthy. Seems the mint is going to wear out the reverse proof eagles too till they are all just over valued silver ounces for trade.

Rick

I read the mint report on the enhanced coin it has 3 different frosted fields giving the coin an almost 3D look I'm going to reserve comment on it until I have the set in hand. but it is a first for the US mint I just hope they don't start putting out coins like Canada most of there coins are tacky except for the maple leaf and the animal collection. I for one only buy the maple leafs.

Has anyone heard what the price point will be on this new west point set?

Happy collecting and God bless...Mike

While I took a swipe at the RCM, I must admit in my opinion they have one of the most attractive issues out there in the $20 for $20 coin. It is overpriced for the amoint of silver in the coin (really, what mint issue isn't overpriced?) but the real cool thing about this issue is the coin has a $20 denomination, so basically unless the CDN dollar tanks it is a solid no lose investment.

Each issue is limited to 250,000 coins and they put a strict limit of 3 coins per household which they will open up if the coin does not sell out withing a certain amount of time. To date all but one issue has sold out in about 30 days and it's the Hockey coin (go figure, eh?).

I buy them and put them away for our Godkids who are all from the Great White North.

Kind of like the Modern Commemorative series, the Mint is chasing $ to the detriment of collectors. I don't think we need ANOTHER variety of the same coin.

There are way too many commemoratives issued every year for me to sustain any interest. I think the last commemorative I bought from the Mint was the Wright Brothers coins in 2003 (only because I went to high school 25 miles from Kitty Hawk).

Proof silver eagles were a one coin a year set until they issued the 1995-W, which I didn't buy at the time and regretted ever since. Then one a year again until the 2006 Reverse proof. Then they interrupted the set with their bogus "shortage" in 2009, followed by amother reverse proof in 2011, and proofs with two different mint marks plus yet another reverse proof in 2012. My guess is by the time the 30th anniversary rolls around they will issue a set of 30 different proof variations, (four mint marks plus no mint mark, each in regular proof, reverse proof, regular proof obverse with reverse proof reverse, reverse proof obverse with regular proof reverse, and a bunch of "minted at xxxxx without mint marks".). They may drive me away from the series altogether; they seem to be trying.

For every collector who is turned away by the endless stream of ASE's there will be another collector who finds it a challenge to get every issue. I can think of one collector who must be salivating at the chance to buy this issue.

I say good luck with that, I will stick with what I'm good at and ignore these.

I just noticed a couple of weeks ago that NGC just added a slot for the 2011 (w) struck at West Point Silver Eagle. This was released about 2 years ago and now they add the slot??? I only buy what I need for my registry so I passed up having to buy that one. It seems quite unfair and unreasonable to backdate a slot after so much time has passed. I don't see any available now for a reasonable price. Anyone else see an issue with this as well?

Keith

I am looking foward to this 2 coin set. But like last year, I am going to hold off buying from the Mint. MCM offered the SF SAEs from last year for $250 for both coins graded 70 and with the Mint packaging.

I just hope the Mint can solve the "milk spot" issues they are having with the SAEs some time soon.

Spotting

Jeffrey

I will buy a set just to see it in hand, but generally agree with the sentiments on the proliferation of the ASE.

I like the Silver Maple and also own a Privy. When you look at some of the coins being minted by The Royal Canadian Mint, they almost look cartoonish. Same goes for the Australian mint. Some cool specimens, but most of the look silly to me.