• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a 1901 Pan-American Exposition Medal

19 posts in this topic

I've been looking around and can't find any for sale. I know that a few of you collect medals, so I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. Looks like this:

medalbuffalowfobv1.jpg

medalbuffalorev1901.jpg

There’s a dealer in my hometown that has the holy grail of Pan-American exposition medals, quite literally he has an entire display full of nothing but medals and coins relating to this subject. I’m going back home later this week so if you haven’t found what you’re looking for by then I will show him the picture and see if he has it. I would be very shocked if he didn’t have it, mainly because I know that he has a lot more Pan-American expo items behind the counter and at home.

I've seen a few different varieties offered, but I'm completely in love with the one pictured. It's just a gorgeous piece.

At this point, it looks extremely rare and prob well out of my budget. Guess I have some saving up to do :)

A sub sounds great, but it won't give me the same satisfaction. I like your blue example!

Contact Joe Levine [JLevine968@aol.com] at Presidential Coin and Antique.

He can give you current information and availability. These were award medals, and so they were made in larger quantities than most.

The silver is one of the most difficult ones to locate. I have a bronze and gilt in my collection. They come up for sale on ebay now and then, but they aren't cheap. I did see a bonze at Baltimore, but didn't inquire since I have one. It was priced around $1900 from what I recall. Do your research before buying. Many times these are priced well above previous auction sales.

Here is my bronze example:

bronzepanammedal.jpg

It's neat that the recipients of the medal are on them, e.g. "School Committee, Springfield Mass" in the OP's silver photos and "J.B. Smith & Sons" for Ankur's.

It would be neat to compile a known list of these with named recipients.

Ankur. Thanks for sharing. That's an awesome piece!! I think you're lucky to own one.

Contact Joe Levine [JLevine968@aol.com] at Presidential Coin and Antique.

He can give you current information and availability. These were award medals, and so they were made in larger quantities than most.

Thanks!!

Edited by BLive1972

Joe certainly knows whats going on. I'm not sure what it all means, but it looks like these are the current medals out there and their auction history. There appears to be several affordable ones...if they were ever to re-surface :) Thanks again for the info guys.

8313. Bronze. Unc. Unawarded. Ex-7304 #497.

8212. #270. Silver. XF/AU. “ALPHA MESSER” $2300.00

8212. #271. Bronze. XF/AU. “LEON HERRERA Y PAZ” $833.75

12/11. FPL. Bronze. UNC. “Charlotte Pendleton” $895,99 SOLD

FPL: Gilt Bronze. XF/AU. Rim nicks. Obv. scr. SOLD $825.00

eBay 10/11. Bronze. Unc with case. $1136.00

8111. 3438. Gilt Bronze. “Timothy ED. McGarr” Timothy E. McGarr was Secretary of the New York State Department of Mental Hygiene. We were unable to find out the reason for which he was awarded this medal. $2185.00

Stacks 1/10. #4986. BRONZE. UNC. “EDLEECK MANUFACTURING CO. Original case. $1380.00

Stacks 9/09. #7846. EX-7506. 1495.00

7909. #349. Silver. “VARTRY WATER CO.” AU. $2415.00

7909. #350. Silver Plated Bronze. AU. “H. W. PRETTYMAN” On a cartouche below the figure of Liberty is the struck name of the awardee; H.W. PRETTYMAN. Prettyman, from Mt. Tabor, Oregon, exhibited fruits in Horticultural Hall. Vermule traces the spiritual genesis of James Earl Fraser's design for the buffalo nickel to MacNeil, and in particular, to this work. In the past, we have sold a number of gilt bronze medals. This is the first time we have offered a bronze medal that has been silvered. $517.50

7808. #404. Gilt Bronze. Unc. edge nicks. “New jersey State Museum” $2070.00

7506. 294. Bronze. Unc. Edge nick. 'L. MANNING” $805.00

eBay 4/05. Silver. XF “ A few small edge nicks. A. Tagemi” $546.56

7304. #497. Bronze. Unc. Unawarded. $690.00

7203. #495. Bronze. AU. NILES TOOL WORKS COMPANY. $488.75

7102. #420. Gilt Bronze. AU. "Eldridge R.Johnson" with original box. $483.00

7001. 592. Silver. AU. "CH. NEGRESSE" $1265.00

7001. 593. Bronze. Bronze. AU. Redbrook Kennels" $488.75

6498. #556. Silver. Unc. 'Ontario Agricultural College.” $1650.00

6096. #263. Bronze. AU. $302.50

5895. #361. SILVER. UNC. “GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF NEW JERSEY) $990.00

5895. #362. Bronze. XF. “The Niles Tool Works company” $165.00

5794. #364. Bronze. XF. Cleaned-original patina removed. “Dement, Miles & Co. $203.50-

5091. #292. Bronze. “VANCROFT KENNELS”. $253.00

4588. #242. Bronze. AU. “LAMBERT TYPEWRITER COMPANY” $143.00

KS81. #4104. Silver. AU. $262.50

Here is a bronze and silver of the medals you seek. They don't come available often and are costly when found. I have seen 5 or 6 of the bronze ones and 3 or 4 of the silver ones in the past 6 years. I got mine off eBay some time ago. Heritage has had some in their auctions.

1901Pan-AmMedalSilver1.jpg

1901Pan-AmMedalSilver2.jpg

1901Pan-AmMedalBronze1.jpg

1901Pan-AmMedalBronze2.jpg

Philadelphia, New York, Boston, etc. are good places to search. Most of the award winners were from the Northeastern US - which is where the manufacturers were.