• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Horrendous NGC Service - Day 107 posted by DrDarryl

20 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Facebook...Twitter...NGC Website

1. The submitted items are listed in a reference called out by the NGC website. http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDarticle=2550 (specifically Hawaiian Tokens and Medals, as listed in Metcalf & Russell reference).

(NGC your quality control for the page needs to be asserted as the reference is Medcalf not Metcalf).

2. Submitted items used the proper Medcalf & Russell identifier, therefore making it insufficiently_thoughtful_person proof to locate.

3. Submitted items were sent to NCS conservation first, then NGC grading. Items completed conservation.

4. Submitted items entered the grading queue.

5. Conserved items were declared ineligible (as posted at the NGC website).

6. Contacted NGC to inquire the reason for the ineligibility. NGC responded indicating they were in error; however the items were mailed back to me. NGC also added "sorry for the inconvenience" .

7. Received submittal #1 items.

8. New invoice created and items were sent to NGC.

9. NGC received the submitted items.

10. Submitted items entered the grading queue.

11. Submitted items graded and encapsulated.

12. Received submittal #2 items.

13. Discovered obvious error on labels (incorrect date). Either someone was not wearing their contacts or glasses. It amazes me how a "1" and a "9" can be mixed-up.

14. Contacted NGC to inquire about fixing the labels. NGC responded indicating they will correct the "mechanical error". NGC also added "sorry for the inconvenience".

15. New invoice created and items sent to NGC.

16. Submitted items entered the grading queue.

17. as of today, 107 days has elapsed.

This type of service is inexcusable in any industry. The "sorry for the inconvenience" excuse shows how much NGC cares about their customers.

For this inconvenience:

I have been posting the Better Business Bureau rating of NGC on Facebook, Twitter, and now here:

http://www.bbb.org/west-florida/business...ota-fl-90019968

I'm planning to file a complaint after my conversation with a NGC Vice President who conveniently contacted me after my rant began.

I am demanding the following:

1. Formal apology letter from the NGC Chairman, President, or a Vice-President. This is to bring to light the issue of quality control and to prevent this from happening to other individuals.

2. Full reimbursement from NGC for the three submittals. Grading fees and postage.

3. Payment via NGC check with the memo stating "sorry for the inconvenience" (so that I may frame it).

4. Raise my current submitted items to the top of the queue.

5. Verify that the submitted items are checked by three separate individuals as to prove that a quality product is being returned to me.

6. Submittal items are to be returned overnight to me.

Below is the current error of submittal #3. As a USA company, its shameful that NGC did not get year of the Pearl Harbor correct. Increadibily, all six in submittal #3 has this error.

13103.jpg

See more journals by DrDarryl

You're still omitting the full time line and not telling the full story; NGC has already offered you a public apology (without admitting to any wrong); and since they indicated that they would attempt to reconcile things Monday morning when they opened for business, I am not sure why you are still on this tirade. For those who aren't aware, from his previous posts, here is a more concise summary and commentary:

FACTS PER THE OP:

(1) On or about November 8, 2012, you submitted four Hawaiin medals, esoteric numismatic items, to NCS for conservation and then for forwarding to NGC for grading. The said medals were conserved successfully and there is no indication that you were unsatisfied. The medals were sent to NGC which declared them ineligible for certification/encapsulation on December 5, 2012 - less than a month later.

(2) Upon receipt you complained, and NGC allegedly claimed that the declaration of the medals as an ineligible type was in error. You shipped the items back to them on December 26, 2012, the day after Christmas and when a number of staff members are clearly on vacation. The medals are esoteric items (this part is mine).

(3) The said medals, upon resubmission, were in NGC's custody for FIFTY NINE (59) days before your post of February 22, 2013.

COMMENTARY:

(1) You submitted esoteric items to NCS and NGC. NGC simply made a mistake in identifying whether they were eligible or not (according to you - I would love to hear NGC's side of the story). It is a relatively easy mistake to be made given the esoteric nature of the items. The coins, upon return, have been in NGC's custody for less than 2 months and you sent them after the holidays when (a) there would be employees on vacation and days that NGC was closed and (b) there was a resulting back-log. Also the fact that you submitted them to NCS too should have been mentioned - the coins have been in NGC's possession for a much shorter period than suggested.

(2) The medals are esoteric and may require special research and expertise to grade and certify their authenticity. Fifty nine days, while a lot, is not inherently unreasonable given the nature of the items.

(3) I would partially fault you insofar as you haven't (or at least there is no evidence even accepting everything you say at face value) that you have had significant amounts of contact with NGC. Why you chose to rant on a public message board in a quasi-incoherent post without calling them first is unclear to me.

(4) If everything you have provided is accurate, I can understand some frustration; however, your post is over the top and is unprofessional. Acting in this manner doesn't get you any service. This is the exact sort of behavior that causes the grading services to refuse to certify some numismatic items - the complaints received are not adequately compensated by the low number of submissions. Events like this may make them hesitant to accept any similar items in the future from any submitters.

Since it is clear that you are attempting to cause harm to NGC and soil their reputation despite attempts to work with you, I will re-post this reply to every thread that you comment in regarding this item that I can find from this point forward.

At this point, the only thing that you are potentially harming is your reputation.

Just a thought, but is it possible that the coin was minted in 1949? I mean with the attack on Pearl Harbor taking place in December of 1941, I doubt that it was minted in 1941?

I don't think NGC really needs to worry about Dr. Darryl Gomez, PhD.

Pettiness is much more likely to reflect negatively on the person being petty than the person or entity to which the pettiness is directed.

EVP

Just a thought, but is it possible that the coin was minted in 1949? I mean with the attack on Pearl Harbor taking place in December of 1941, I doubt that it was minted in 1941?

Good point; this is something that is relatively common with medals, and the 1941 could just be commemorating the date. In fact, when I first saw the image, I shared your interpretation about the medal having been struck at a later date.

Good point; this is something that is relatively common with medals, and the 1941 could just be commemorating the date. In fact, when I first saw the image, I shared your interpretation about the medal having been struck at a later date.

as did it but the label says dated 1949...which is not correct. If it didn't say dated then I could agree it's a very safe assumption that the coin was minted later than 1941 so perhaps the word Dated is the problem.....as opposed to the date???

as did it but the label says dated 1949...which is not correct. If it didn't say dated then I could agree it's a very safe assumption that the coin was minted later than 1941 so perhaps the word Dated is the problem.....as opposed to the date???

You're right. I also think that a different descriptor would be helpful.

IMHO...in referrence to the label and date... I interpret the label as:

1949 {date produced} - {a} dated ( 1941) 2M-380 Hawaii {medal} "Remember Pearl Harbor"

Could this be a case of putting a long label into a short space? Human or, computer error was using poor grammer in making these labels. IMHO.

Semper Fi !

Jack

DrDarryl.......

I read your earlier posts, and I understand your frustration. But it seems to me like you're still going after NGC without giving them the chance to work with you and make things right. In your ealier thread, a VP responded to you and offered to discuss the matter with you on Monday. I'm not saying you don't have the right to be mad, you do, but give them a shot to work with you before trashing NGC further on every available venue. All of us are human, and we all have made mistakes and we will all do so again. No one is perfect. But it takes a strong person to admit when they've done wrong, or to allow someone who has done them wrong to try to make it right.

DrDarryl.......

I read your earlier posts, and I understand your frustration. But it seems to me like you're still going after NGC without giving them the chance to work with you and make things right. In your ealier thread, a VP responded to you and offered to discuss the matter with you on Monday. I'm not saying you don't have the right to be mad, you do, but give them a shot to work with you before trashing NGC further on every available venue. All of us are human, and we all have made mistakes and we will all do so again. No one is perfect. But it takes a strong person to admit when they've done wrong, or to allow someone who has done them wrong to try to make it right.

Nice post.

Dr Darryl:

I have been following your Journals and really enjoy your informative postings on Hawaiian medals and hope that they will continue once the current situation is resolved.

My experience with NGC is that they have exceptional customer service so I am sure that they will make things right on Monday. In the meantime enough is enough. Please give NGC an opportunity to make things right before posting any more raves.

PHD can stand for a lot of things. Here are some for example.

Post Hole Digger

Permanent Head Damage

Push Here Dummy

Player Hater Degree

Poor Hungry Doctor

Post Homicidal Depression

Piled High in Debt

Isn't it wonderful how the internet can make anyone feel important. :banana:

Dr Darryl:

I have been following your Journals and really enjoy your informative postings on Hawaiian medals and hope that they will continue once the current situation is resolved.

My experience with NGC is that they have exceptional customer service so I am sure that they will make things right on Monday. In the meantime enough is enough. Please give NGC an opportunity to make things right before posting any more raves.

+1

Gary

Hey Doc,

Did you not get an email from the company VP telling you he would look into this problem on Monday the next day his company was open ? Are you so Anal that you cant wait until Monday afternoon to rant again about the same dead item? If it was not resoved to your liking? Who knows you MIGHT have received a couple free submittions out of this, had you been able to keep your fingers shut for 1 more day.

Be very happy that NGC is not owned by my family you would have received your corrected slabs and a nice check for a prorated refund of your subscription. companies dont like dealing with shortsighted people like you. I know for a fact had I done photghraph work for you and you acted this way in public, let be think back to the 60's I belive the the saying went like this "here comes the judge"

to my fellow sane collectors happy collecting and may God Bless

Wow- Another post on a Saturday after the Vice President promised to contact you on Monday and personally get involved?

A little overkill, don't you think Dr. Darryl?

Are you going to post Day 108 today and cover Sunday too? They aren't open today either as the VP's post indicated.

I wish you the best of luck getting this resolved, but I hope you ease up on the posts.

Have a GR8 day!

DrDarryl, how would you feel if after you told somebody that you would look into their problem, that person still tried to villefy you before you could handle the problem? I hope you never have to experience that. Please refrain from any more negative posts until after you speak to NGC on monday, this includes twitter and other avenues of communication. It is not fair to them when you have a commitment from the VP.

DR D - and I highly doubt you are a doctor or have a PHD, but then again, that may explain everything. Get a life. I have been dealing in this business for over 40 years. I too deal with the public on a daily basis. I know your type. Let me know when you have your 10th birthday. What an embarrassment to the human race.