• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week 552 **It's Friday!**

15 posts in this topic

Q: What does the hand and the bush represent on the $5 Continental Currency of May 10, 1775 (CC-5)?

Our first place winner will receive a coupon for 1 note graded under the Standard grading tier. (You must have an active account with PMG,call PMG for details) There will also be a runner up prize given to a randomly selected player with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details.

Have a great weekend everyone and good luck!

The emblem in front shows a hand in a bush bleeding from from the thorns. It has the motto: SUSTINE VEL ABSTINE. Ben Franklin explained this motto to mean “Bear with me, or let me alone; or thus, Either support or leave.” The bush is believed to mean America, the bleeding hand is Britain.

In the The Pennsylvania Gazette of September 20, 1775, Benjamin Franklin [writing as CLERICUS] explained the meaning of the Hand and Bush as found on the $5 Continental Currency of May 10, 1775.

On another bill we have a thorny bush, which a hand seems attempting to eradicate. The hand appears to bleed, as pricked by the spines. The motto is, SUSTINE VEL ABSTINE; which may be rendered, Bear with me, or let me alone; or thus, Either support or leave me. The bush I suppose to mean America, and the bleeding hand Britain. Would to God that bleeding were stopt, the wounds of that hand healed, and its future operations directed by wisdom and equity; so shall the hawthorn flourish, and form an hedge around it, annoying with her thorns only its invading enemies

The emblem on the front shows a hand in a bush bleeding from from the thorns. It has the motto: SUSTINE VEL ABSTINE. Ben Franklin explained this motto to mean: "Bear with me, or let me alone; or thus, either support or leave." The bush is believed to be America, the bleeding hand is Britain.

Signed by T(homas) Coombe in red ink and E(llis) Lewis in black. The emblem in front shows a hand in a bush bleeding from from the thorns. It has the motto: SUSTINE VEL ABSTINE. Ben Franklin explained this motto to mean “Bear with me, or let me alone; or thus, Either support or leave.” The bush is believed to mean America, the bleeding hand is Britain. The nature print on the back is of betony and sage.

Q: What does the hand and the bush represent on the $5 Continental Currency of May 10, 1775 (CC-5)?

A: Hand represents Britain and the bush equals the American colonies. The Latin Motto reads, when translated, "Put up with me or leave me alone".

Congratulations to this week's winners: KennethF and Newprepper! Their prizes will be going out to them shortly. Thanks to everyone who participated and see you next Friday!