• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone like Tuscany?

12 posts in this topic

No, this is not a travel solicitation. Yes, it is about coins. Or, a single coin. Or, an opinion about the image of a single coin. :)

I bought this coin raw during the NYINC 2012 show. The dealer had this coin marked FDC, and truth be told it looks great in hand: very nice satiny luster blended nicely with attractive old-time patina.

I submitted it to our hosts here, and came back MS61. I was horribly disappointed.

I showed it to the dealer at the 2013 show, and he was shocked. He felt the coin was a solid 63, with a outside shot at 64. I actually felt the coin was a 63 with an outside shot at 62. Anyway, 'gmarguli' submitted the coin for me to PCGS and I got my grade. He also took the image for me, and I am asking the members to render an opinion on whether the image should have the insert showing, or with a background.

I'm used to no-insert, black background (or no/white background), but I must admit that I rather like what he did for me. Thoughts?

About this coin: the person is Peter Leopold Joseph Anton Joachim Pius Gotthard. He was Grand Duke of Tuscany from 1765 to 1790, and became HRE and King of Hungary and Bohemia from 1790 to 1792.

The mark from Leopold's chin down to the lower shoulder is a tone line, not a scratch. Odd, I know.

[bTW, is the site ATS down? I am unable to go there.]

1024.jpg

From these pictures I am suprised that it recieved a MS61 grade as well. That said, I don't have the coin in hand, but I would imagine the grade was hit because of the mass in front of the nose (die pit?) as it detracts the eye appeal quite a bit. Unfortunate, that. A nice coin in any case, and one I would love to have myself.

That is a nice coin.

It has been my general observation on world coins that PCGS overgrades by a point or two and NGC undergrades by a point or two. All in all, I would rather have the coin in the NGC slab. So, that coin is probably a solid 62.

What is going on in the fields in front of his face?

That thing by the future Emperor's nose is called CHARACTER. Yes, the coin has character. :)

Seriously, I've no clue what it is. The dealer told me, but he's Italian and English is not his first language. I am unsure if it is a die state, or die marriage. But, he likened it to those who collect by VAM, Bolender, or Overton... I'm quite certain one doesn't detract for that (or, should not).

As for what the grade really should be, I think it is a solid 63. I bought it as a FDC, it looks great in hand, and so I expect 63. But, I also know how much a coin toss (pun intended) grading such old coins can be, so that is why I said it has an outside chance of being 62. A 61 is pathetic.

EVP

As for the style of the photo - I usually prefer a black background, personally. I like the insert in there - it gives the pertinent information about the coin. That's especially useful when posting the images on websites, for people like me who don't really know what I'm looking at.

And... isn't anyone going to answer my question about the *style* of the image?

I think the style is a bit clumsy looking with the label that small. I also don't like that there is no "margin" space between the coin rims and the background. If the background color is white, this lack of a bit of margin space isn't so noticeable, but with the grayish blue background, it looks funny to my eye.

Regarding the quality of the coin image itself, unless the coin really is pinkish in hand, then the image white balance is off. The light also looks too diffuse, making the coin look flat and luster-less.

Regarding the grade, I think MS63 range is fair. I see next to no luster (maybe just the image quality) and the fields seem to be spotted with marks and a few hair lines. I particularly like the detail on the reverse.

OK ... style of the photo.

I too think the "off colour" is odd. Does nothing for me in highlighting the coin, rather it washes out the image. Any colour you choose should be composed of a soild pixil so that the background can easily be made transparent should you ever want to display the coin as an overlay. I prefer black for silver and gold coins and either black or white, depending on toning, for copper as they seem to make them pop.

And yes, you need a margin as BRG mentioned above. I have no issue with the size of the label although if one is slightly older ( lol ... I've inserted a private joke here) one might have difficulty reading it.

Thanks for the comments. I actually have no issue with the tint of the background, if it were to have a non-white background at all.

I also do not want a border around the coin. First, I don't like it. Second, I collect hammered coinage that aren't well-shaped, making a border problematic.

Finally, I think I will not want the insert. I collect raw Anglo-Saxon hammered coinage, and I like them raw. Also, what happens if I score an upgrade? I don't want to have to redo the picture. If it's a matter of educating the viewership, then I'll need to write a bit anyway -- more than what the insert would've contained. Finally, who here thinks the insert person at the TPG actually knows more about coins than most of us?

The viewership here and ATS are very knowledgeable about coins in general.

EVP

Finally, who here thinks the insert person at the TPG actually knows more about coins than most of us?

EVP

True, but the vast majority of world coinage I know next to nothing about. The label succinctly summarizes the important info about a coin.

Finally, who here thinks the insert person at the TPG actually knows more about coins than most of us?

EVP

True, but the vast majority of world coinage I know next to nothing about. The label succinctly summarizes the important info about a coin.

I agree, and updating a picture's insert is very easy ... getting the best possible picture of the coin is the hard part.