• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legend Morphy registration - advice please

7 posts in this topic

So this morning I got a call from a number I didn't reconize and it was Julie from Legend Morphy. I had registered for the site randomly. I didn't see anything I was interested in, but I figured down the road I might. She said she needed dealer references or invoices from sales/uctions to complete my registration.

Looks like I'm in a bit of a pickle... I don't know any dealers well enough to asj for a reference, and just out of privacy I won't disclose how much I have spent on what coins to anyone.

any suggestions?

Have you bought from other auction houses? If so, list them as references.

Also, you need not know dealers with whom you have done business, well, in order to list them as references.

Another suggestion is to edit your thread title, so that viewers will have a better idea as to its subject matter. ;)

Also, you need not know dealers with whom you have done business, well, in order to list them as references.

Another suggestion is to edit your thread title, so that viewers will have a better idea as to its subject matter. ;)

But to list them and if they actually do call to check with them, not sure if they would know who I was. The conversation would look like this?

"Dave listed you as a reference."

"Who?"

"He says he spent 5k with you in the past 2 years"

"Oh, you must mean the quite guy in the red sox hat. Yes he buys alot and always pays in cash"

I believe you are correct, I just feel awkward throwing out someone's name when I don't have a personal connection. I keep to myself at the coin shop. There is always alot of "thug-like" types hanging around, so I don't say much just to stay low-key.

(side note: The "thug-like" guys may be great guys, but when your neck is tattooed, your pants only come halfway up your thigh, your hat is crooked, and you talk with a 2nd grade vocabulary you are "thug-like".)

But to list them and if they actually do call to check with them, not sure if they would know who I was. The conversation would look like this?

"Dave listed you as a reference."

"Who?"

"He says he spent 5k with you in the past 2 years"

"Oh, you must mean the quite guy in the red sox hat. Yes he buys alot and always pays in cash"

I believe you are correct, I just feel awkward throwing out someone's name when I don't have a personal connection. I keep to myself at the coin shop. There is always alot of "thug-like" types hanging around, so I don't say much just to stay low-key.

(side note: The "thug-like" guys may be great guys, but when your neck is tattooed, your pants only come halfway up your thigh, your hat is crooked, and you talk with a 2nd grade vocabulary you are "thug-like".)

I guess I'm giving Legend-Morphy a bit more credit than you are. My guess is, that if they call for a reference, they will say "Dave so and so listed you as a reference" and not just "Dave...". ;)

Seriously, though, I can understand the awkwardness aspect involved. Also, if you tell them that you are fine paying for any coins you win, in advance of receiving them and you don't plan to spend a BIG chunk of change, I bet that they will be perfectly reasonable. Tell Julie I said to be nice to you, although I expect her to be that way, anyway. :) Good luck.

I was surprised the first Legend-Morphy auction had a lot of Jefferson nickels that I was interested in bidding on - when I registered, I listed Bowers, Heritage, and Teletrade.

Unless you see something you really want to bid on, I wouldn't worry about it.

It's been my experience that very few places will actually call to check out references. I only know twice when one of my references was called. If you don't have any, just tell them that. "I don't have any references as I generally buy in cash at shows and my typical purchase is $5K. Can I get a credit line of $10K and I can provide you with my credit card now for your files." If that isn't good enough, screw them. They're small players and there are a ton of other places to buy coins.