• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newps: GB House of Orange milled coinage

14 posts in this topic

Both pieces are from the reign of William III. He ruled jointly with Mary Stuart from 1688 - 1694. He ruled solely from 1694 to 1702 (Mary died of small pox in 1694). William was Dutch, but was invited by Parliament (with Mary) to rule.

The first piece is a crown, dated 1695. S-3470. I do not know which regnal year because the coin is in a TPG slab. It is a fantastic specimen, graded MS63. The image does not do it justice at all.

From the dealer's website, and using his image:

"I have seen a few MS64 examples of this Crown, but none that I preferred to this piece. Fully mint state and very choice with an excellent, sharp strike with all details of the reverse shield crisp. Brilliant luster on a superior planchet with light golden iridescence."

1024.jpg

The second piece is a 6-pence, dated 1700. I believe it is S-3538. This, too, is a fantastic piece and colorful. The obverse is lighter in color, and very PL. The reverse has deeper colorful patina, and is semi-PL. It is graded MS64 by a reputable TPG.

From the dealer's website, and using a tweaked version of his image:

"An elegant Gem Unc. showing a bold strike, super surfaces, bright semi-prooflike luster and finished with antique silvery-blue iridescence."

1024.jpg

Both images are terrible compared to the coins' actual eye appeal and quality.

EVP

Very nicely done EVP. Excellent work.

Thanks. I can't wait to get better pics taken of these pieces, plus my NYINC newps, plus two more yet to ship.

These two are friggin amazing in hand. I wish you can see these in hand.

For the crown, I worried about the haymarks. The dealer told me that the marks are not really visible. He's right. The obv is super clean. The rev has those few minor blacks spots, but they are not at all distracting.

I can see why the dealer is so high on this piece over other 64's that he's seen.

The 6d is a monster. The only drawback is that it's small, but I can't complain because I also collect hammered pennies and sceats (smaller).

I'm now in high heaven. I may chase more from the House of Orange. :headbang:

EVP

Those are both great coins. Do you have the shilling yet?

Thanks.

No, I do not. I'm not actually doing a set, so I don't actually have a hole to fill. If I see one I like, and the timing is right, then I may execute on it.

EVP

Two wonderful and very under-rated coins!

It seems to me that all three reigns of House of Orange (W&M, Wm III, Anne) are all kind of scarce, especially W&M.

Is the above correct?

EVP

W&M is very scarce. They are hard to find in any condition, but in high grade or UNC they are really hard to find.

William is easier to find than W&M. I don't look for UNC coins as much as others, but it seems to me they are available. Anne is pretty common as a type, again depending on grade. There are a few scarce varieties of each, of course, but for the most part Anne is pretty easy to find.

I bid on, or tracked, every W&M piece in that last HA NYINC auction. Most were low grade, except for the 1/2Cr, which was a monster.

I have never seen a monster-worthy W&M Cr. I would love to see more high-grade, high-quality monster W&M pieces.

EVP

I browsed through the 2013 Spink book. Based solely on pricing data, I wouldn't classify Anne as "pretty easy to find" in ChMS.

EVP

Spink doesn't have much pricing data for the higher end old stuff. I think it tops out at EF. That doesn't mean they aren't available.

I browsed through the 2013 Spink book. Based solely on pricing data, I wouldn't classify Anne as "pretty easy to find" in ChMS.

EVP

Spink doesn't have much pricing data for the higher end old stuff. I think it tops out at EF. That doesn't mean they aren't available.

Agreed that I can only extrapolate so much data from a book...

Regardless, I'll just have to see what the future has in store for me.