• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

20th century rainbow toned type set

22 posts in this topic

Follow my journey from coin newb to a toned set anyone would proud to own.

Hello everyone!

My name is Ryan and I have been collecting coins casually since I was 5. My interest has grown to the point where I am now ready to take the leap.

My very first coin collecting goal was to fill out a cardboard whitman 20th century type set folder. That folder has long since been filled, but my fascination with the coins contained therein has only grown. Think about it, mercury dimes, buffalo nickels, morgan dollars and so much more!

I was browsing the NGC registry one day when I saw a Rainbow toned 20th century set by a member named lehigh96. It was love at first sight. I knew from that moment that I wanted to accomplish what he had, that is, to assemble a set with so much eye appeal and history that others would want to do what I had done.

I immediately did what any bright eyed newbie would do, I set up a paypal account and started buying coins. My results, predictably, were mixed. I muddled along until I mustered the courage to ask you fine folks for some help.

Someone suggested that I message kryptonitecomics for help. I couldn't have been more happy with the results. Kryptonite has since helped me avoid innumerable dogs, and even sold me a dime that I am proud to have included in my collection. He has been of immense assistance and I am indebted to both kryptonitecomics and the person who helped me find him.

Here is what I have put together so far:

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetSlideShow.aspx?s=12169

So far, each coin has been awarded NGC's coveted star designation

and it is my opinion that each coin deserves it.

My goal with this journal is to provide entertainment to the veterans in the crowd, as well as some inspiration to the people just starting out. I welcome ALL comments, positive or negative, and I hope you all enjoy watching me progress. I will provide updates periodically, especially with each new purchase.

until next time,

Ryan

See more journals by Early Cuyler

very nice, how far do you want to take that set?

My goal is to acquire one example of each coin minted in the 20th century (whether or not ill include gold is something I'm still iffy on). I.e. Ill have one slq one washington quarter etc.

@doug: thanks for the encouragement!

My goal is to acquire one example of each coin minted in the 20th century (whether or not ill include gold is something I'm still iffy on). I.e. Ill have one slq one washington quarter etc.

Does gold tone the way you would like it?

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I haven't done enough research on that topic to be sure.

You've found a good seller to buy toned coins from. I have bought several coins from Krytonitecomics and have been delighted with each one. This link is to the crowned jewel of my toned collection bought from, you guessed it, Kryptonitecomics.

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?PeopleSetCoinID=1419452

Gary

Hi Ryan, Great beginning ! When you get around to filling the Indian Cent slot and need any advice please feel free to shoot me an email. Tight lines !! RichH

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I haven't done enough research on that topic to be sure.

It is extremely rare for gold coins to display rainbow coloration. Occasionally, you might find one with combinations of pink and/or orange and or lilac and or green hues, usually of a pastel, rather than vivid nature.

Also, when gold coins exhibit color (other than golden or orange shades), it is typically due to the impure alloy mixture, as opposed to patina that has formed on the surface of the coin.

It is extremely rare for gold coins to display rainbow coloration. Occasionally, you might find one with combinations of pink and/or orange and or lilac and or green hues, usually of a pastel, rather than vivid nature.

Also, when gold coins exhibit color (other than golden or orange shades), it is typically due to the impure alloy mixture, as opposed to patina that has formed on the surface of the coin.

Mark,

Thanks for explaining! I knew gold itself was more or less inert, but I hadn't considered the fact that the metals mixed with the gold may tone. Thanks again for the explanation.

Ryan

Mark,

Thanks for explaining! I knew gold itself was more or less inert, but I hadn't considered the fact that the metals mixed with the gold may tone. Thanks again for the explanation.

Ryan

My pleasure, Ryan.

Below is an image of a 1924 Saint graded MS65 by NGC when I bought it for and sold it at MS66 money, due to the color. It was supposedly subsequently graded MS66 by PCGS recently.

The image doesn't show the color or beauty anywhere close to its full extent, but it was one of the more colorful gold coins I have seen or handled.

goldtwenty1924ngc65.jpg

I know that coin Mark...I almost submitted it to NGC again but the owner decided to go with PCGS....based on the grade he received it would appear he made the right choice lol

Ryan

I am glad that you have been inspired by my set to start a 20th Century Rainbow Toned type set. I think you will find the venture very exciting and rewarding.

I echo Mark's sentiments about toned gold. Examples are very rare and the typical explanation for such examples is improper alloy mixing. I recently sold this NGC MS63 Saint for 3X price guide.

SGDE1924NGCMS63.jpg

A word of advice as you begin your collection. Don't ignore the other aspects of grading when acquiring a new piece. A typical type coin will be a common date coin for the series that displays a great strike and is in the highest grade possible. Don't deviate from that model in order to get the toning. Instead, seek out examples that fit the typical type coin model and also display rainbow toning. And remember that in order to obtain such examples, you must be committed to paying premiums to the established price guides.

Good Luck!

Paul

Ryan

I am glad that you have been inspired by my set to start a 20th Century Rainbow Toned type set. I think you will find the venture very exciting and rewarding.

I echo Mark's sentiments about toned gold. Examples are very rare and the typical explanation for such examples is improper alloy mixing. I recently sold this NGC MS63 Saint for 3X price guide.

SGDE1924NGCMS63.jpg

A word of advice as you begin your collection. Don't ignore the other aspects of grading when acquiring a new piece. A typical type coin will be a common date coin for the series that displays a great strike and is in the highest grade possible. Don't deviate from that model in order to get the toning. Instead, seek out examples that fit the typical type coin model and also display rainbow toning. And remember that in order to obtain such examples, you must be committed to paying premiums to the established price guides.

Good Luck!

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the advice and pictures. I remember seeing that saint in your ebay store. Very cool stuff.

All the best,

Ryan