• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help to authenticate my 1795 Draped Bust Dollar
1 1

58 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It's definitely not real and looks as though it may be some kind of play money.

The cynic in me wonders if all the "I just got here! is this a fake" account may actually be involved with either the counterfeit manufacturing or fencing process.  Like, "ok, let's see if this version is good enough that it fools at least some of these guys...."

I mean, that's what I'd do if I were trying to pass something off without being caught.

On 6/25/2019 at 1:09 PM, MAULEMALL said:

You know I personally think they should legitimize their work and make something like poker chips from them... 

I really think there may be a market.

EXACTLY!  I was just looking through an inherited collection the other day and 65% of it was plated copper rounds designed to look like actual coins.  Not always the best design but the fields were clean and they had the ultra cameo technique down and I was like, ya know, if they'd at least used a real precious metal they could've actually been onto something here.  Or like you said, a set of high end poker chips, even if just copper or bimetallic nickel/copper, with an attractive design could go a long way.  But nope.  People want to waste their skills on poor counterfeits and oversized paperweights basically.

On 6/25/2019 at 2:09 PM, MAULEMALL said:

You know I personally think they should legitimize their work and make something like poker chips from them... 

I really think there may be a market.

They would still need to be stamped COPY.

1 hour ago, needhelpforcoin said:

But it is magnetic, and I saw videos of people using magnets to check of it's silver or not

It is a copy.

On-line videos often give incomplete or incorrect information. If you aren't not blinded by the dream of owning a valuable coin, rather than a counterfeit, view on line images of professionally graded examples. And you will see obvious differences.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:33 PM, MarkFeld said:

It is a copy.

On-line videos often give incomplete or incorrect information. If you aren't not blinded by the dream of owning a valuable coin, rather than a counterfeit, view on line images of professionally graded examples. And you will see obvious differences.

Alright thank you I just wanted to make sure

20 minutes ago, Hemantshah1688 said:

Please share your opinion on this coin. 

Screenshot_2020_0108_005506.png

Can you post a picture of the reverse of the coin, so that we can compare this die pair to others?

I was really hoping to get a picture of the reverse before the poster disappeared, to see if there were any distinguishing die marks. :frown:

Edited by Just Bob

Greetings guys, 

I bought some coins like from the street and with a little research I found out that they are copies. I mean thats what I think. What is your opinion, are they even a good copy or not. 
ps: On the photos they are flipped according to their position on the previous photo.

DB11F257-0571-4E0A-A53A-49E0CF6CCDA0.jpeg

60E6D299-ACF1-4602-8E9D-BF1C33EAB976.jpeg

CD3B7158-23DB-4F43-BF78-50F7E9661733.jpeg

7595C59D-DDB4-4B8C-B6D9-D011492B2F35.jpeg

E4A3F699-7CEB-4E6E-9FD7-96EBDE376506.jpeg

EBE14580-7787-42EE-B5FF-7F2AA1A4EFAC.jpeg

1 hour ago, PeterDim said:

Greetings guys, 

I bought some coins like from the street and with a little research I found out that they are copies. I mean thats what I think. What is your opinion, are they even a good copy or not. 
ps: On the photos they are flipped according to their position on the previous photo.

Not even close, bordering on fantasy or game tokens.

18 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

I really hope you did not pay much for those.

And, they are NOT copies. They are counterfeit coins, and are illegal to sell in the US.

Mhm, yes I didnt pay much and i dont live in the us. What is the difference, im kinda curious. I have them already so I guess I will keep them for my amateur collection. I have the feeling that they produce them in large amounts in china

3 minutes ago, PeterDim said:

Mhm, yes I didnt pay much and i dont live in the us. What is the difference, im kinda curious. I have them already so I guess I will keep them for my amateur collection. I have the feeling that they produce them in large amounts in china

Reproductions of US coins have to have the word "COPY" imprinted on them, to identify them as not being real. Otherwise, they are illegal. And yes, they produce them, quite literally, by the ton in China. The government there either does not care, or possibly even encourages the practice.

Those are very poor fakes that first started appearing something like 30 years ago. They are several generations behind the quality of the fakes they are making now.

1 hour ago, Himself21 said:

Have been doing some research, but still cant find out if fake or not. It has a brownish color and is worn out in the middle.

Can you guys help me out?

It is a fake.

On 3/25/2019 at 3:07 AM, Zulkiffli said:

Hi, Im newbie. 

Can anyone help me to verify this 1795 Brass Draped Bust Dollar.  Tq

1795 Coin2.jpg

1795 Coin1.jpg

VIEWER DISCRETION!

Yes, it is an old thread, but old threads can be instructive.

The above coin is described as being of "brass" composition. It is incumbent upon anyone who elects to reply that that is the primary red 🚩 flag: Wrong metal.  Red Light! 

I also think it would be more helpful if members who respond dispense with the one-word dismissals.  Informing collectors, some of whom may have made a significant investment in a coin, True or False or Yes and No, without any comment, is rather brusque. If you see something, elaborate! Disclose the reason for your outright, Nay!  If it were you, wouldn't you want to know why a coin you just paid a substantial (or a mere pittance for) was being outright rejected?  I know I would.  🤔 

On 1/15/2022 at 3:57 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I also think it would be more helpful if members who respond dispense with the one-word dismissals.  Informing collectors, some of whom may have made a significant investment in a coin, True or False or Yes and No, without any comment, is rather brusque. If you see something, elaborate! Disclose the reason for your outright, Nay!  If it were you, wouldn't you want to know why a coin you just paid a substantial (or a mere pittance for) was being outright rejected?  I know I would.  🤔 

First: This is a forum - a place for like-minded people to discuss items of interest. If someone chooses to just answer a question simply, without trying to instruct others, that is their prerogative. Not everyone is a teacher. Each person has the right to answer a question as simply or as elaborately as they choose, and it is not my place to try and tell them that their way is wrong or right.

Second: On this forum WE DO NOT give reasons why we think a coin is fake, other than what is blatantly obvious. Many of us believe that counterfeiters and/or sellers of counterfeit coins lurk in the background, reading posts like this to learn how to improve the look and acceptance of their fakes. The LAST thing I want to do is help a counterfeiter make a better product that might fool someone. So, brusque or not, a simple answer is all they are likely to get from me.

On 1/15/2022 at 5:28 PM, Just Bob said:

Many of us believe that counterfeiters and/or sellers of counterfeit coins lurk in the background, ....

I've got some good news to share which will lift a tremendous burden off you:  Your beliefs, your assertions, are totally baseless and without foundation. Nobody is monitoring coin threads and translating English into Mandarin. You give counterfeiters way too much credit. North Korea's $100 "super dollars" was a far greater threat. Your spiel, "WE DO NOT," goes well beyond suspicion and borders on paranoia. You may be one of the nicest members on the Forum, and I love your token thread, but there are much bigger fish to fry.  You have forgery, misrepresentation, impersonation and counterfeiting in all fields of endeavor: documents, books, paintings, autographs, perfumes, handbags, cyber security, hacking, historical artifacts and plain old IRS scams aimed at senior citizens -- one guy even tried to peddle an autobiography of Howard Hughes. Clifford Irving never could have anticipated Mr. Hughes would speak out. He hadn't been seen or heard from in years. Big mistake.

From your vantage point, a virtual trickle can seem like a tsunami. How does illegal coins stack up against illegal drugs. Is there a Pablo Escobar of counterfeits? If it ever becomes a real and not just an over-exaggerated threat, the issue will be addressed, accordingly. And if it isn't, the problem is a comparatively minor one. Until that time comes, there are far greater threats posed than coins easily identifiable as outright fakes. Stating what is self-evident, wrong metal, is not disclosing sensitive national security intelligence. Let's not misidentify the common cold for the omicron variant. 

Sorry, but a tabulation of nays and yeas does not contribute one iota to the body of numismatic knowledge. I will defend with my life your right to express an opinion, but until circumstances dictate otherwise, I'm holding fast to mine.  If the emperor shows up without clothes, I will state the obvious.

In the meantime, we can agree to disagree without being disagreeable. Right? 😉 🐓 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: spiffying thing up.