• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help to authenticate my 1795 Draped Bust Dollar
1 1

58 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

The coin looks to be a counterfeit - hopefully you did not pay more than a few dollars for it. But if you did, return it for a refund if at all possible.

If you bought it in an auction/off of Ebay, etc., please provide a link.

Edited by MarkFeld

Thanks for saving me of the anxiety :)

I paid appx. $4 for it (inc. of courier). However, is it the denticles only which spoke of the forgery?

I did refer to the below link to analyze the coin after i got it, but got confused:

Counterfeit Bust Dollar

Well, I purchased it from Ebay.in (India) and it seemed like a chinese fake, when i was buying it. Nevertheless, i took my chances. However, given the quality of the fake, i believe, it can go to my Counterfeit Collection :P and since i didnt pay much, i dun have any grievances though.

Thanks for the quick response :)

Raj

Thanks for saving me of the anxiety :)

I paid appx. $4 for it (inc. of courier). However, is it the denticles only which spoke of the forgery?

I did refer to the below link to analyze the coin after i got it, but got confused:

Counterfeit Bust Dollar

Well, I purchased it from Ebay.in (India) and it seemed like a chinese fake, when i was buying it. Nevertheless, i took my chances. However, given the quality of the fake, i believe, it can go to my Counterfeit Collection :P and since i didnt pay much, i dun have any grievances though.

Thanks for the quick response :)

Raj

Whew, I am very relieved ;)

As soon as I saw the image of the obverse (before I even got to the denticles or the reverse image, which I later viewed), the coin looked wrong to me. As I mentioned in another thread here recently, often, when I see a counterfeit, I don't even know,l specifically, what sets the alarm bells off in my head. I only know that somehow my eyes and brain are telling me something is "off".

From the Counterfeit link i shared previously, it says "Draped Bust dollars were struck without a restraining collar, which wasn't introduced by the U.S. Mint until around 1830."

Now that what struck me because the specimen i have, has a restraining collar.

Doesn't stick to a magnet... Smart hoaxers!!! Tested that already...

Final verdict - Counterfeit?? or should I wait for more reviews?

Uurgh... The $$ dreams are not fading away :P

I'm sorry, but I can't make a link to the picture coded in your post.

Here is a genuine 1795 Bust dollar is that is any help.

1795DrBustDolO.jpg1795DrBustDolR.jpg

The more common of the two varieties of 1795 Bust dollars has the positioned too far to the right. This is the "centered" variety.

It's a chinese fake. It comes from what I call the "vampire" hub. They used a genuine 1795 dollar to create an undated bust dollar hub and made a multitude of dies from it. i have seen every date from 1795 to 1804 all made using this same hub. The hub must have eventually worn out because over the past couple of years I have been seeing fewer and fewer "vampire" hub dollars. (Which probably means the fakes are getting safely tucked away into long term collections and will come back to haunt us years from now.)

6 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum 

Your coin, unfortunately, is a fake. 

Agreed. Does not look right at all. The wing feathers are a very dramatic tell on this one relative to the real thing.

2 minutes ago, JKK said:

Agreed. Does not look right at all. The wing feathers are a very dramatic tell on this one relative to the real thing.

This reverse die has a familiar look, as if I have seen it, or a similar one, on other counterfeits.

Hi, I recently got this and was wondering if someone could help me out knowing if its authentic or fake. As I compared to the ones posted, i could identify details of both coins on the one i got. Like some say, something tells me this is fake, but not sure why.

Thanks in advance.

001.jpg.c1554a5a0473ce2827af4747677525e1.jpg002.jpg.baf17d1dd3063e4a32131dd5677ec2fa.jpg

On 2/2/2013 at 1:07 PM, MarkFeld said:

Whew, I am very relieved ;)

As soon as I saw the image of the obverse (before I even got to the denticles or the reverse image, which I later viewed), the coin looked wrong to me. As I mentioned in another thread here recently, often, when I see a counterfeit, I don't even know,l specifically, what sets the alarm bells off in my head. I only know that somehow my eyes and brain are telling me something is "off".

That's often how I look at coins - if it doesn't look right, or your brain is telling you something is "off," go with your gut. 

On 3/23/2019 at 9:20 PM, Ross25 said:

Hi, I recently got this and was wondering if someone could help me out knowing if its authentic or fake. As I compared to the ones posted, i could identify details of both coins on the one i got. Like some say, something tells me this is fake, but not sure why.

Thanks in advance.

001.jpg.c1554a5a0473ce2827af4747677525e1.jpg002.jpg.baf17d1dd3063e4a32131dd5677ec2fa.jpg

Agreed.  Fake.  See Bill Jones' post in this thread.....he posted a great example of a real one that will help you see the differences between your coin and a genuine example.

5 hours ago, Zulkiffli said:

Hi, Im newbie. 

Can anyone help me to verify this 1795 Brass Draped Bust Dollar.  Tq

1795 Coin2.jpg

1795 Coin1.jpg

Welcome to the forum. It is a fake, and a badly scratched one.

On 2/3/2013 at 2:34 PM, Conder101 said:

Which probably means the fakes are getting safely tucked away into long term collections and will come back to haunt us years from now.)

Exactly, by that time I wonder if it will be like it is now? Or will the new owners have smarter phones which scan coins and tell them if it's fake or will people seek knowledge and determine on their own? 

The one thing I can not get over and it's been for so many years, is, why would anyone buy a coin, then wonder if it's real, fake, what it's worth or spend any Money without learning what they are doing? And I guess people are burdened with collections so I understand that part I guess...but I guess if I inherited a stamp or beenie baby collection I'd be the same way? Or not cuz I can still read......peace

2 hours ago, Rogelio2527 said:

Is ir false?

Screenshot_20190621-205504.png

Welcome to the forum.

Ask yourself this question: "Do I honestly believe that someone has two old dollar coins worth thousands of dollars that they are offering for sale for $100 each?"

Have you ever heard the expression,"If it appears too good to be true, it probably is"? This is one of those situations.

They are both fake. Whatever that website is, do not buy coins from there.

Bob brings up a very good point.......that website looks super sketchy.  Which one is it?  I know that Etsy, Stumble Upon and Alibaba are all notorious for the plethora of fake numismatic material that appears for sale on their sites......bad stuff all around.  Definitely stay away from those.  And, yes, those dollars are fakes as Bob said. 

Sorry about the bad news.  But, hopefully, we got to you before you made any purchases.  Welcome to the Forum!

~Tom